Author Topic: While Los Angeles mayor decried bus of migrants from Texas, 87,000 crossed Rio Grande in July  (Read 189 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
While Los Angeles mayor decried bus of migrants from Texas, 87,000 crossed Rio Grande in July
By Bethany Blankley | The Center Square contributor Aug 29, 2023

The Los Angeles mayor criticized Texas for sending another bus of roughly 50 people when Texas was inundated with over 87,000 illegal border crossers in July alone.

On Aug. 21, amid preparation for a tropical storm to make landfall, LA Mayor Karen Bass said, "It is evil to endanger the lives of vulnerable migrants by sending a bus with families and toddlers on board to a city that at the time was under an unprecedented tropical storm warning. As I stood with state and local leaders warning Angelenos to stay safe and brace themselves for the worst of the coming storm, the Governor of Texas sent families and toddlers straight for us on a path through extreme weather conditions. If anybody understands the danger of hurricanes and thunderstorms, it's the Governor of Texas – who has to deal with this threat on an annual basis. This is a despicable act beyond politics."

The storm she referred to was later classified as a post-tropical storm, with NBC Los Angeles Ch. 4 News reporting rain "was expected to diminish by Monday afternoon in Los Angeles."

The bus left Brownsville, Texas, and arrived at LA's Union Station around 6:45 PM PT on Monday after the rain had already diminished. It was the ninth bus to arrive in the self-described sanctuary city from Texas. Those choosing to be bused to Los Angeles signed waivers and agreed to receive free transportation to Los Angeles paid for by Texas taxpayers.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/california/article_b1bf598c-46ae-11ee-af18-230363aa27cc.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson