Author Topic: Massive Emergency Alert Test to Sound Alarms on all U.S. Cellphones, TVs, Radios  (Read 1246 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Massive Emergency Alert Test to Sound Alarms on all U.S. Cellphones, TVs, Radios

Alana Mastrangelo 29 Aug 2023

A massive emergency alert test will reportedly sound alarms on all U.S. cellphones, television sets, and radios in October, in the wake of the deadly wildfires on the Hawaiian island of Maui.

On October 4, every cellphone, TV, and radio in the United States will blast a warning tone of an emergency alert, in order to ensure that the nation’s Emergency Alert system is working correctly in the event of a national disaster or attack, according to a report by USA Today.

The emergency alert will most likely read, “This is a nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System, issued by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, covering the United States from 14:20 to 14:50 hours ET. This is only a test. No action is required by the public.”

On cellphones, a text message will read, “THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed.”

For phones on which the main menu has been set to Spanish, the text will read, “ESTA ES UNA PRUEBA del Sistema Nacional de Alerta de Emergencia. No se necesita acción.”

The message will go out at the same time for everyone, across every U.S. time zone, which will be 2:20 p.m. Eastern time, 1:20 p.m. Central time, 12:20 p.m. Mountain time, 11:20 a.m. on the West Coast, 10:20 a.m. in Alaska, and 8:20 a.m. in Hawaii.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2023/08/29/massive-emergency-alert-test-to-sound-alarms-on-all-u-s-cellphones-tvs-radios/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
If someone or some country was going to do something to the USA..... They have the date and time to do it.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

Ughh.  I hate those things.

Offline PeteS in CA

Ughh.  I hate those things.

Sometimes it verges on painful for me, as my hearing aids are Bluetooth-connected to my cell phone. Sometimes someone's phone on a different cell network goes of first, so I can remove my hearing aids, but sometimes painfully not.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline the OlLine Rebel

I hope they are only testing this nationally, and not going to do a nationwide alert every time something they deem “emergency” comes up just anywhere specific in the country.

Like, the hurricane today, or that NC shooting the other day, etc.  we don’t all have to get the alert, do we?
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline libertybele

A national test on our cellphones? Just in time to tell us that Brandon has declared martial law???

Nothing coming from this administration is a positive or in our best interests Nothing.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Polly Ticks

Obviously they have some kind of alert system in place specific to Hawaii, given that a few years ago someone mistakenly sent out a missle warning and scared the crap out of a whole lot of people.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Obama tried to do this years ago, and it all CRASHED ...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
No radio here, no cell phone, either (I have a flip phone that is ALWAYS turned off).

Only one tv, and it's only turned on 7-8pm Mon-Sat.

Guess I won't be "gettin' the message"...

Offline the OlLine Rebel

Obviously they have some kind of alert system in place specific to Hawaii, given that a few years ago someone mistakenly sent out a missle warning and scared the crap out of a whole lot of people.

But I don’t think there has ever been a nationwide alert as far as disasters (we have them I think for those darn Amber alerts).  Even 9/11 didn’t generate a nationwide Emergency Broadcast System alert!

I just hope they will continue to have targeted alerts, not nationwide.  Such as, I do not need an alert for Florida’s hurricane.

Offline mountaineer

No radio here, no cell phone, either (I have a flip phone that is ALWAYS turned off).
Only one tv, and it's only turned on 7-8pm Mon-Sat. Guess I won't be "gettin' the message"...
Same here. I have a Tracfone smart phone, which I turn on for about 15 minutes every morning with my first cup of coffee to check for texts. Then I turn it off.

I remember one time at choir practice when a tornado warning was issued. All at once, everyone's phone started beeping. Well, not mine.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline roamer_1

I'm pretty immune... Providing I turn off the phone. All the rest of my comms are PC based, and I doubt I'll feel a thing.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I'm pretty immune... Providing I turn off the phone. All the rest of my comms are PC based, and I doubt I'll feel a thing.

Only one tv, and it's only turned on 7-8pm Mon-Sat.

Guess I won't be "gettin' the message"...
Rant time. And I say this as my meteorologist training is kicking in.

The whole point of these tests is to be able to reach every American in the event of an emergency. Actual short-term emergency, when there are only minutes to spare, not the years-long BS we called an "emergency" beginning in March 2020. In the vast majority of cases, it is a weather-related emergency and the signal is sent out to warn people of imminent danger. The fact that we have people out there deliberately trying to ignore emergency warnings... just don't. Please. For your own safety, LISTEN when these things go out.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Polly Ticks

The whole point of these tests is to be able to reach every American in the event of an emergency. Actual short-term emergency, when there are only minutes to spare, not the years-long BS we called an "emergency" beginning in March 2020. In the vast majority of cases, it is a weather-related emergency and the signal is sent out to warn people of imminent danger. The fact that we have people out there deliberately trying to ignore emergency warnings... just don't. Please. For your own safety, LISTEN when these things go out.

That's a valid point.

I don't mind the warnings.  I really hate that I get them on two different phones, since I have to have a phone for work as well, but I guess it is what it is.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline roamer_1

If there is an event so great that you must address the whole nation... Well, that can only be SMOD... Or something I'll see coming a long, long way off.

There is no reason for a national emergency system.

Offline LadyLiberty

I recall during Hurricane Harvey getting so many tornado warnings, one after another. Crazy time.

Offline the OlLine Rebel

If there is an event so great that you must address the whole nation... Well, that can only be SMOD... Or something I'll see coming a long, long way off.

There is no reason for a national emergency system.

September 11 was the only thing in my lifetime I saw as needing a nationwide alert.  I am shocked it did not happen.  EBS has been happening all my life with tests during daytime TV.  Amazing.

Offline roamer_1

September 11 was the only thing in my lifetime I saw as needing a nationwide alert.  I am shocked it did not happen.  EBS has been happening all my life with tests during daytime TV.  Amazing.

And even that, not really... Over New York and DC, sure... Maybe east of the Mississippi... Maybe major population centers, alright...

But me, out here in the hinterlands? Had no effect here.

And besides, I watched the whole thing go down, with my dad on the phone....
As happened for the whole Koresh thing down in Texas...

As I think is pretty sure to happen with damn near everybody anyway. Tell me the Emergency system is gonna beat all the gossipers throwing texts...  :laugh:

Offline mountaineer

Throughout the day, I'm online or I'm listening to the radio. If there's an important alert, I'll hear about it without having to use a smartphone.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline roamer_1

Throughout the day, I'm online or I'm listening to the radio. If there's an important alert, I'll hear about it without having to use a smartphone.

Yep. HANK-FM will get it to me at the top of the hour.  :beer:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Yeah, something like this might have saved a bunch of lives at Lahaina, just getting the kids alerted to run away from the fire.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline the OlLine Rebel

And even that, not really... Over New York and DC, sure... Maybe east of the Mississippi... Maybe major population centers, alright...

But me, out here in the hinterlands? Had no effect here.

And besides, I watched the whole thing go down, with my dad on the phone....
As happened for the whole Koresh thing down in Texas...

As I think is pretty sure to happen with damn near everybody anyway. Tell me the Emergency system is gonna beat all the gossipers throwing texts...  :laugh:

We had no idea what was going on.  When DC was hit, all bets were off.  Rumors that the Sears Tower was hit were rife for a bit.  The Pittsburgh rumors turned out to be United 93. It had the potential to be massive.  It was already massive.  I was waiting for the west coast to get hit, 3 hours behind.  Bottom line, it was a massive emergency and there was every reason for everyone in all urban areas especially to be on high alert.

Offline roamer_1

We had no idea what was going on.  When DC was hit, all bets were off.  Rumors that the Sears Tower was hit were rife for a bit.  The Pittsburgh rumors turned out to be United 93. It had the potential to be massive.  It was already massive.  I was waiting for the west coast to get hit, 3 hours behind.  Bottom line, it was a massive emergency and there was every reason for everyone in all urban areas especially to be on high alert.

Sure... But all those urban areas already have emergency alert systems. Heck, we got em out here. They sure don't need federal control, just for the sake pf picking up the phone to call a few mayors.

My take on things is to keep it as close to the people as possible. Federal anything is just another way to waste our dollars. That's a particular theme with me.  happy77