Author Topic: CMS names 10 drugs under new price controls, but advocates warn of 'cruel' side effects  (Read 738 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
CMS names 10 drugs under new price controls, but advocates warn of 'cruel' side effects
by Gabrielle M. Etzel, Healthcare Reporter
August 29, 2023 08:12 AM

he Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services released on Tuesday the list of 10 medications that will be part of the price-setting Drug Price Negotiation Program through the Inflation Reduction Act, affecting an estimated 8.2 million patients with a range of illnesses, including heart failure, blood clots, diabetes, and arthritis.

"We took on Big Pharma and special interests, overcoming opposition from every Republican in Congress, and the American people won," President Joe Biden said in a statement on the announcement, calling the Inflation Reduction Act "one of the most significant laws ever enacted."

https://twitter.com/SecBecerra/status/1696495877613822333

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/healthcare/cms-10-drugs-price-controls-health-side-effects
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Kamaji

Shortages to follow.

Online DefiantMassRINO

What about the lack of availability for certain generic drugs and anti-biotics?  Maybe the Government should also fix that.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Shortages to follow.
Oh, goody, my wife and mother are on Eliquis and I'm on Jardiance...can't wait for the shortages to kick in and cascade to the not as good replacements.

Offline PeteS in CA

The effects of the medication price controls, however, could have more deleterious effects for those with rare conditions, the costs of which are offset by patients who use less expensive drugs to treat more common illnesses.

Tom Schatz, president of Citizens Against Government Waste, told the Washington Examiner the Medicare pricing provision of the Inflation Reduction Act has already had a negative impact on pharmaceutical research, creating "an invisible graveyard of patients" who will not be able to benefit from new drugs being brought to market.

"Manufacturers have already stopped [research and development] as a result of the IRA," Schatz said.

"The U.S., by far, is the global leader on research and development, in large part because pharmaceutical manufacturers are permitted to recover the money they invested in not just the pharmaceuticals that reach market, but those that don't," Schatz added. "It's not a cheap or easy process."

Producing a pill - ingredients, machine time - costs pennies. The research, the testing, the failed experimental products, the machinery, the process creation, those are where the costs are. Big-Bogey-Pharma-Haters avoid mentioning those realities in their memes claiming, "It costs ## cents to produce ______, but Big Pharma charges ### dollars."
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online DefiantMassRINO

If they have to ration, could that be the start of the Obamacare Death Panels?

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online GtHawk

Producing a pill - ingredients, machine time - costs pennies. The research, the testing, the failed experimental products, the machinery, the process creation, those are where the costs are. Big-Bogey-Pharma-Haters avoid mentioning those realities in their memes claiming, "It costs ## cents to produce ______, but Big Pharma charges ### dollars."
Oh there's no question how much goes into research and development, and no even thinks about how many failures a company has in relation to successes. I don't have a problem with fair compensation but why am I paying so much more for Jardiance in America compared to what is charged in other countries? https://www.pharmacychecker.com/jardiance/#!

Online corbe

Some of these 'price control drugs' have to do with Blood Clotting.  Wonder what happened? /s
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline PeteS in CA

Oh there's no question how much goes into research and development, and no even thinks about how many failures a company has in relation to successes. I don't have a problem with fair compensation but why am I paying so much more for Jardiance in America compared to what is charged in other countries? https://www.pharmacychecker.com/jardiance/#!

Well, start with countries' government price controls.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline PeteS in CA

Some of these 'price control drugs' have to do with Blood Clotting.  Wonder what happened? /s

Eliquis (Apixaban) was approved by the FDA in December 2012. Since Eliquis was approved 7 years earlier, The Covid Bogey-Vaccine is not what "happened".

Eliquis is preferred over warfarin because the range between insufficiently effective and too effective with warfarin is pretty narrow (if you see a patient in a SNF with what looks like a massive bruise, they probably are on a slightly too high dose of warfarin).

Offline roamer_1

Oh, goody, my wife and mother are on Eliquis and I'm on Jardiance...can't wait for the shortages to kick in and cascade to the not as good replacements.

Turmeric milk. My goto pain management (along with willow bark)... Because I am on eliquis, both are barred from me, as both are natural blood thinners.

Turmeric root is easy to get, and pretty cheap... and given an household heated environment, can be grown indoors.

And willow is literally everywhere.

Might be good to know and explore... And have around if things go sideways.

Jussayin.

Addendum: Tumeric milk

measure a big coffee cup (mug) with milk.
One coin of turmeric root - Slice off a piece about a 1/4 thick, about as big as the face of your thumb.
The same of ginger root.

gently heat in a pot, not frying, in some kind of oil (I use coconut), when soft (like cooked carrot), mash it up

Then pour in red cap or farm milk - The fats are important.
add 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Heat like hot chocolate to bring close to a boil, stirring often, not burning the bottom, not allowing a film on top.

When it blooms to a deep yellow color it's done.

Pour into the mug and shake a little nutmeg on the top.
Enjoy.

Online DefiantMassRINO

Wall Street Banksters, Vulture Capitalists, Pirate Equity, and C-Suite Executives have made the calculation that if people need a medication to live, people will pay anything for it.

They extort patients and insurance companies ... "if you want to live, this how much it will cost you" ... and desperate people will do anything, or sacrifice anything, to get the money necessary so their loved-one can live.

That was Pharma Bro's calculation when he astronomically raised the price on an old, generic medication used by many HIV patients.

The was Joe Macnhin's daughter's calculation - when she was CEO of Mylan - to quadruple the cost of Epi-Pens.  Mylan had pricing power, so they raised the price to increase profits.  Because the Mylan CEO was a Seantor's daughter, Mylan had poltical cover for a while.

Wall Street and Washington conspired to use monopoly power and healthcare extortion to line their pockets with profits, political donations, and jobs with pharma lobbyists and companies for a relative, or for themselves when they leave Government.

Offline roamer_1

Obtaining what is often the same medicine naturally through forage is always as good or better.

Screw Big Pharma as much as you can. Find natural remedies that work for you.
I managed GIANT pain for 20 years, Largely with natural medicine. Not even tylenol or ibuprofen for the most part... Walked away from 3-5 norco7s a day... so serious pain. Managed fairly well for 20 years or so now...

BUT, I am not altogether a Luddite. In my current malady (concurrent congestive heart failure and recovery from back surgery that has cured the pain) I have been entirely reliant on Big Pharma, except for ongoing Lion's Mane mushroom (aids in nerve regeneration).

So I think that's fairly even-handed. I use both, but lean toward natural, and will return wholly to natural as conditions allow... Because real medicine lies all around you in forage for little or no cost.

Online GtHawk

Well, start with countries' government price controls.
Well yeah! So we are also paying to subsidize those countries...no?