Author Topic: Convert National Mall into giant flower bed? One newspaper op-ed suggests it to fight climate change  (Read 618 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Convert National Mall into giant flower bed? One newspaper op-ed suggests it to fight climate change
Some call it "America's Civic Stage" having hosted public rallies led by Rev. Martin Luther King, The National Mobilization to End the Vietnam War, and the 1987 display of the AIDS Memorial Quilt. Commentators have pushed back against the idea, citing the Mall's rich history.

By Addison Smith
Updated: August 28, 2023 - 4:38am

A guest op-ed this month by Alexander Nazaryan, a self-described gardener and writer, published in The New York Times urged converting the National Mall’s landscape from a "bland, Kermit-colored expanse" to a "riotous wildflower meadow.”

The author said the change would be a "victory for climate change" and a step towards combating "lawn culture."

"Replacing the Mall with a riotous wildflower meadow stretching from the Washington Monument to the U.S. Capitol would not only beautify what is surely our dullest national park but also signal to millions of visitors that the lawn culture it symbolizes is no longer feasible in a 21st century dominated by extreme weather, species loss and forever chemicals," Nazaryan wrote. 

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/environment/new-york-times-op-ed-calls-convert-national-mall-giant-flower-bed-fight
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

1.)  They'll never be agreement of which species of flowers to plant.
2.)  It would worsen air quality for those with pollen allergies.
3.)  Depending upon what they plant, that could increase the use of chemical feritilizers, pesticides, herbicides, and water.

////00000////

4,)  I recommend Sumac, Dandelion, and Clover - they beautify abandoned lots in many cities; no fuss, no muss.

Don't be "weed shaming" because a plant has a superior root system.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Kamaji

1.)  They'll never be agreement of which species of flowers to plant.
2.)  It would worsen air quality for those with pollen allergies.
3.)  Depending upon what they plant, that could increase the use of chemical feritilizers, pesticides, herbicides, and water.

////00000////

4,)  I recommend Sumac, Dandelion, and Clover - they beautify abandoned lots in many cities; no fuss, no muss.

:thumbsup:

Offline Polly Ticks

Wild violets.  They choke out everything else, but have a low profile and you wouldn't have to mow the lawn.  :laugh:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online mountaineer

Last time I was in D.C., I noticed how the grassy areas of the mall were completely neglected - overgrown, weed-filled. What does this nitwit think would happen with flower beds?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Kudzu.

It's the perfect analog.

Invasive. Pervasive. Hard to contain. Hard to get rid of. Wipes out Native and Productive plants.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Though it would take some maintenance a 'Farmer's Market' would be much more advantageous.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online Smokin Joe

Though it would take some maintenance a 'Farmer's Market' would be much more advantageous.
If you want a "Farmer's Market" they thrive outside the DC bubble. Why risk going to a high crime area?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

Kudzu.

It's the perfect analog.

Invasive. Pervasive. Hard to contain. Hard to get rid of. Wipes out Native and Productive plants.

:thumbsup:

Offline berdie

Morning Glory. Beautiful...but hated by farmers.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The way things are going, in a few more years the National Mall will be a giant immigrant/homeless encampment.

Fine with me.

Online Smokin Joe

The way things are going, in a few more years the National Mall will be a giant immigrant/homeless encampment.

Fine with me.
Resurrection City? Resurrected?

Folks knew how to line up their tents in those days. 

C S Lewis