Author Topic: Feds bust human smugglers who were recruiting juvenile drivers in Arizona using Snapchat  (Read 181 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Feds bust human smugglers who were recruiting juvenile drivers in Arizona using Snapchat

To attract juveniles, the suspects would glamorize the smuggling with the prospect of making large sums of money and little risk of arrest.

By The Center Square Staff
By Cole Lauterbach
Updated: August 26, 2023 - 11:25pm

A group of nearly two dozen people allegedly created a human smuggling operation fueled by recruiting juveniles on a popular social media platform to smuggle illegal foreign nationals over the nation's southern border.

The U.S. Attorney's Office Arizona District announced the unsealing of 13 indictments charging 22 people with "Conspiracy to Transport Illegal Aliens for Profit."

The charges announced on Aug. 22 allege a "human smuggling coordinator" would use social media posts on Snapchat and elsewhere to recruit young Arizonans as drivers for their operation. Once contact was established, the recruiter would make arrangements in messenger programs to coordinate the illegal transport. The office said in its release that law enforcement identified the defendants via cell phone data and their social media accounts.

https://justthenews.com/nation/states/center-square/feds-bust-human-smugglers-using-snapchat-recruit-juvenile-drivers
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson