Author Topic: If Supreme Court nixes NYC rent control, tenants and landlords would be better off  (Read 785 times)

Offline Kamaji

If Supreme Court nixes NYC rent control, tenants and landlords would be better off

By NY Post Editorial Board   
August 27, 2023

In a case that promises to utterly upend New York politics — and boost the city’s housing market — the Supreme Court may soon strike down the essence of the rent control laws.

Local politicians love nothing more than to gesture on behalf of cheaper housing, as with the City Council bill aiming to force landlords to pay broker fees on rental units, or the drive for a state law that would (in the name of limiting evictions) make rent control statewide.

This case could end the never-ending game, by gutting the core rent law.

In the process, it would end New York’s eternal housing “crisis” practically overnight — benefiting both tenants and landlords.

In May, New York landlord groups asked the court to hear their challenge to the state Rent Stabilization Law, which lets the city cap rent hikes and gives tenants a virtually ironclad right to renew their leases.

It’s led to some people renting the same unit for decades — and then passing it to a family member, caretaker or friend.

In many cases, building “owners” never regain control over those units, even if they want them for their own families or other purposes.

And that, the suit contends, amounts to an unconstitutional “taking” of property, in violation of the Fifth Amendment.

For years, few would’ve imagined the law — which dates to 1969 — could be overturned, even though it forces landlords alone to eat the cost for a public good (affordable housing) and essentially deprives them of their own property.

The US District Court and the Second Circuit Court of Appeals both dismissed the suit after it was filed in 2019.

Yet the Supremes lately have stood up for property rights, backing owners with 6-3 votes in several key cases.

In 2021, by 6-3 they struck down a decades-old California rule that forced farms to let union organizers on their land, noting that private owners have a right to exclude people from their property.

That, argue the New York plaintiffs, is a far less intrusive “taking” than New York telling a landlord he or she must offer lease renewal at a city-dictated rent.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/27/getting-rid-of-nyc-rent-control-would-benefit-tenants-and-landlords/

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Rent-control leads to slums.

Even Massachusetts did away with rent control ... after it was discovered that many judges, lawyers, and college professors were occupying rent-controlled units, not the poor.

To make housing affordable for the poor, housing needs to be affordable for all.  The most efficient way to do that is to allow for the construction of more housing.

In the Northeast, unaffordable housing is a crisis created by snobbish NIMBY zoning laws.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
What rent control leads to is waiting lists (as does public housing).

Offline Kamaji

What rent control leads to is waiting lists (as does public housing).

Yup.  Time was, in NYC, the waiting list for desirable buildings could be 5 to 10 years long.

• Technical
Yup.  Time was, in NYC, the waiting list for desirable buildings could be 5 to 10 years long.

Neither are solutions to the housing problem (which is real). Solution is to build more housing.

Offline Kamaji

Neither are solutions to the housing problem (which is real). Solution is to build more housing.

Exactly.  But that is well nigh impossible in NYC given all of the other liberal b.s. that limits construction, including exclusive zoning, mandatory unions, and out-of-control historical designations, to name a few.

• Technical
Exactly.  But that is well nigh impossible in NYC given all of the other liberal b.s. that limits construction, including exclusive zoning, mandatory unions, and out-of-control historical designations, to name a few.

:thumbsup:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
That, and a simple lack of land to build upon after 400 years of development. You cannot legislate away a fundamental scarcity.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline PeteS in CA

Set me straight if I'm wrong, but weren't NYC rent control laws a temporary "emergency" measure passed due to WW2? I'm pretty sure Germany and Japan surrendered a bit of a while ago.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

• Technical
Set me straight if I'm wrong, but weren't NYC rent control laws a temporary "emergency" measure passed due to WW2? I'm pretty sure Germany and Japan surrendered a bit of a while ago.

Laguardia passed them I believe.

Offline Kamaji

That, and a simple lack of land to build upon after 400 years of development. You cannot legislate away a fundamental scarcity.

Nonsense.  There is plenty of building space in NYC - blocks and blocks of outmoded, used-up 4 and 5 story walkups that should be converted to 6 to 10 story elevator buildings, and even a bunch of one-story buildings in many areas which, IMHO, is an obscenity in a city like NYC - the grocery store I used to go to when I lived in Stuytown was part of a half-block that was mostly one story.

Within 5 years, with a rational zoning and building control, several hundred thousand new apartments could be built.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"...walkups that should be converted to 6 to 10 story elevator buildings, and even a bunch of one-story buildings in many areas which, IMHO, is an obscenity in a city like NYC - the grocery store I used to go to when I lived in Stuytown was part of a half-block that was mostly one story."

In other words, you want the place to be like Moscow -- Soviet-style slabs.

• Technical
"...walkups that should be converted to 6 to 10 story elevator buildings, and even a bunch of one-story buildings in many areas which, IMHO, is an obscenity in a city like NYC - the grocery store I used to go to when I lived in Stuytown was part of a half-block that was mostly one story."

Need more housing everywhere. People who want to live in NYC can live in NYC, people who want to live in the burbs can live in the burbs. Freedom.

Offline Kamaji

:mauslaff:

Try again, idiot.