Author Topic: New York City’s got it all wrong with its ‘right to shelter’  (Read 293 times)

Offline Kamaji

New York City’s got it all wrong with its ‘right to shelter’

By Nicole Gelinas   
August 27, 2023

Mayor Adams has done everything he can to house tens of thousands of migrants in hotels and tents, only to tank his approval rating.

Voters see what he can’t see: He cannot house the world.

Adams is failing, because he’s doing everything but the obvious: move to end New York City’s spurious “right to shelter.”

The right to shelter, under which the city is housing 59,300 migrants, isn’t a right at all.

This fake right, which has persisted for more than four decades, now imperils New York City’s ability to provide public services, such as fire protection and garbage collection.

No ‘right’

The right to shelter is allegedly rooted in the state constitution.

In 1981, after advocates for homeless men asserted this right in a state-court lawsuit, the city, under then-Mayor Ed Koch, signed a “consent decree.”

The city pledged to provide shelter to men suffering “physical, mental or social dysfunction.”

This narrow mandate, which at the time cost about $40 million in inflation-adjusted dollars, has expanded to include everybody, and will cost at least $4 billion this year.

One problem: the term “right to shelter” appears nowhere in the state’s constitution. The constitution does feature a bill of rights, listing items such as religious liberty, and the right to organize a labor union.

“Shelter” is not among these rights.

If voters wanted a right to shelter, it wouldn’t be that difficult to enact.

The constitution’s bill of rights does feature one new addition, a two-year-old provision that “each person shall have a right to clean air and water.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/27/new-york-citys-got-it-all-wrong-with-its-right-to-shelter/

Online DefiantMassRINO

Re: New York City’s got it all wrong with its ‘right to shelter’
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 02:52:44 pm »
"right to shelter" presumes there is an adequate supply of housing, which there isn't in the NorthEast.

Eric Adams will try to get suburbs to share the load; they won't - not voluntarily.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: New York City’s got it all wrong with its ‘right to shelter’
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 12:13:33 am »
RINO chuffs:
"Eric Adams will try to get suburbs to share the load; they won't - not voluntarily."

Eventually, the suburbs will be FORCED to "share the load".
Wait and see.