Author Topic: Zelensky Says He Won’t Hold Elections Unless U.S. and EU Pay for Them  (Read 1302 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Zelensky Says He Won’t Hold Elections Unless U.S. and EU Pay for Them

Kurt Zindulka 28 Aug 2023

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has demanded that taxpayers in the United States and European Union send the country even more aid if the West wishes for elections to be held next year.

In an interview published by the president’s office on Sunday evening, Zelensky said that he would be willing to hold elections despite the ongoing martial law amid the war with Russia, so long as the U.S. and EU bankroll the voting process.

The Ukrainian leader said that elections during peacetime typically cost around 5 billion hryvnia ($135 million) but did not speculate as to how much more they would cost during a war, though presumably it would be much higher.

Zelensky said that he discussed the topic of funding for the 2024 elections with U.S. Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, who has been one of the staunchest supporters of sending more aid to Ukraine on Capitol Hill.

“I told [Sen. Graham]: If the United States and Europe give us financial support… I’m sorry, I will not hold elections on credit, I will not take money from weapons and give it to elections either. But if you give me this financial support, if the parliamentarians realize that we need to do this, then let’s quickly change the legislation and, most importantly, let’s take risks together,”  Zelensky said.

“Observers should be in the trenches. I told him: observers must be sent to the frontline so that the elections are legitimate for us and for the whole world. And this is absolutely fair,” he added.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2023/08/28/zelensky-says-he-wont-hold-elections-unless-u-s-and-eu-pay-for-them/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: Zelensky Says He Won’t Hold Elections Unless U.S. and EU Pay for Them
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 01:18:18 pm »
 *****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 01:38:50 pm »
Why would one have elections during an existential war?  Only a f*ckwit would insist that Ukraine hold elections right now.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2023, 02:10:39 pm »
Who's demanding elections?

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2023, 02:14:10 pm »
Who's demanding elections?

From the original article:

if the West wishes for elections to be held next year.

The fact of the matter is, that nations under existential threat generally don't take time off for elections.  The UK suspended elections - including local elections - during WWII.  Most of the other Allies did not, but then they weren't facing an existential fight of the same order of magnitude as that faced by the UK.

If it was good enough for the UK during WWII, and didn't elicit any whinging from the other Allies, then it seems to me the West should STFU if Ukraine suspends elections during the Russian existential threat.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2023, 02:22:27 pm »
I guess he'd rather spend the money on bullets rather than ballots.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2023, 02:24:46 pm »
I guess he'd rather spend the money on bullets rather than ballots.

Makes sense to me.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2023, 03:07:54 pm »
In context, Ukraine is at war, trying to liberate it's territory in the Donets Basin and Crimea from Russian invaders. A text out of context is a pretext.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2023, 03:10:37 pm »
In context, Ukraine is at war, trying to liberate it's territory in the Donets Basin and Crimea from Russian invaders. A text out of context is a pretext.

:thumbsup:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2023, 07:46:54 pm »
if the West wishes for elections to be held next year. ...
doesn't sound to me like anyone is demanding elections. IF doesn't mean squat.

This is just Zelensky's never-ending grift for more money.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2023, 08:21:38 pm »
Why would one have elections during an existential war?  Only a f*ckwit would insist that Ukraine hold elections right now.

Exactly.  It's ridiculous.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2023, 08:24:01 pm »
And of course President Silver Alert will fork over more of our money we don't have on the little yellow and blue extortionist and his ongoing grift.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2023, 08:26:14 pm »

What does that have to do with the fact he's demanding we pay for his elections?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2023, 09:01:59 pm »
Z is definitely not shy about asking for another handout. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2023, 09:07:46 pm »
"Why would one have elections during an existential war?"

Ahem.
United States of America, 1864.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2023, 09:14:44 pm »
What does that have to do with the fact he's demanding we pay for his elections?

He doesn't want to have elections.  He's just saying that if the West is going to demand them, then the West is going to have to put for them.

In other words, he doesn't really want either elections or the money.  Which to me is reasonable under the circumstances.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2023, 09:24:13 pm »
doesn't sound to me like anyone is demanding elections. IF doesn't mean squat.

This is just Zelensky's never-ending grift for more money.

That's Zelensky being nice.  If he had to make that statement, one can be quite certain that there were behind-the-scenes demands that Ukraine hold elections.  Let's not be altogether naive, shall we?

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2023, 09:24:33 pm »
He doesn't want to have elections.  He's just saying that if the West is going to demand them, then the West is going to have to put for them.

In other words, he doesn't really want either elections or the money.  Which to me is reasonable under the circumstances.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2023, 09:25:22 pm »

He's not.  He's telling us that if we're going to insist that Ukraine hold elections in the middle of an existential war - something that was never demanded of the UK during WWII - then the West can bloody well pay for them.

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2023, 10:25:37 pm »
How in the hell would Ukraine hold a legitimate election with 20% of the country under the jackboot of the orcs?

Offline berdie

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2023, 10:54:40 pm »
He's not.  He's telling us that if we're going to insist that Ukraine hold elections in the middle of an existential war - something that was never demanded of the UK during WWII - then the West can bloody well pay for them.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2023, 11:10:11 pm »

That's how I read it as well.  Zelenskiy is not offering up an election as an excuse for getting money.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2023, 12:45:07 am »

I was commenting on the possibility/likelihood there would not be elections.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2023, 01:24:19 am »

Ahh gotcha

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2023, 01:24:44 am »
I was commenting on the possibility/likelihood there would not be elections.

Ok that makes sense.