General Category > Weather

Florida prepares for Tropical Storm Idalia to make landfall on Gulf Coast with lessons learned from

<< < (2/10) > >>

mystery-ak:

--- Quote from: libertybele on August 28, 2023, 01:56:16 pm ---This will impact as a Cat 3 in the Big Bend area, that is what we are hearing locally.   --   We are also hearing that even without it being a hurricane as of right now we could see 2-4 foot of storm surge. Depending on the tide at the time it could have a significant impact.  I like your sister am very concerned.  Wind is one thing, water is another. 

We are under a 'watch' for right now. I am trying to remain calm.

However, and the reason for my huge concern is this is exactly the scenario that played out during Ian.  They kept telling us that the hurricane would hit the Big Bend area and it hit Lee county as a Cat5 (that's what was recorded here locally different than the 'official' records of Cat 4).  Storm surge was extreme.

Prayers up for your sister @mystery-ak

--- End quote ---

Most of their damage was from flooding..the beach is right across the street... :thud:

DefiantMassRINO:
Sanibel Island?  The insurance premiums have to huge.  That place previously got wiped out by Hurricane Charly in 2004.

Wingnut:

--- Quote from: DefiantMassRINO on August 28, 2023, 02:33:06 pm ---Sanibel Island?  The insurance premiums have to huge.  That place previously got wiped out by Hurricane Charly in 2004.

--- End quote ---

Damn near cut Captiva in half.  We honeymooned at the Old Plantation resort.  Took it out but the Mucky Duck survived!

mystery-ak:

--- Quote from: DefiantMassRINO on August 28, 2023, 02:33:06 pm ---Sanibel Island?  The insurance premiums have to huge.  That place previously got wiped out by Hurricane Charly in 2004.

--- End quote ---

My bil doesn't have homeowners..he did have flood ins which was most of the damage..they had about 4feet of water in the house and garage....he doesn't believe in homeowners ins..he can afford not too. :smokin:

I asked my sister after the last hurricane if they would move or sell and she said they have had that house for over 25 years and the only damage they have had over the years was the loss of a few roof tiles and an avocado tree... :shrug:

libertybele:
Local news has announced that it will indeed likely make landfall in the Big Bend area -- far north of us.  They all soon because of its rapid movement they don't expect it to turn towards us at the last minute like Ian did.

Prayers up for those in the Big Bend/Tampa Bay area.  Forecast reports indicates significant storm surge as high as 11 ft.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version