General Category > Weather

Florida prepares for Tropical Storm Idalia to make landfall on Gulf Coast with lessons learned from

<< < (10/10)

libertybele:

--- Quote from: mystery-ak on August 30, 2023, 02:38:20 pm ---Thanks for the update...is it over for you?

--- End quote ---

Not quite -- we'll have tropical force winds and rain today off and on and into tomorrow. I'd say our drought is now over. :)

I really feel for the people who took on a direct hit.

mountaineer:
Massive 100-year-old oak tree falls on Gov. Ron DeSantis’ mansion during Hurricane Idalia while his family’s inside
By Selim Algar   
August 30, 2023 2:54pm
--- Quote ---For Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, Hurricane Idalia really hit home.

A gigantic oak tree toppled onto the side of the Sunshine State leader’s Tallahassee mansion during Hurricane Idalia Wednesday while his wife and three kids were inside.

“100-year-old oak tree falls on the Governor’s Mansion in Tallahassee — Mason, Madison, Mamie and I were home at the time, but thankfully no one was injured,” first lady Casey DeSantis tweeted just before 12:45 p.m.

“Our prayers are with everyone impacted by the storm.”

An accompanying picture showed the moss-covered behemoth cleaved down the middle, with one portion resting on its side and the governor’s mansion in the immediate background. ...
--- End quote ---
https://nypost.com/2023/08/30/huge-tree-just-misses-desantis-mansion-during-idalia/

libertybele:

--- Quote from: mountaineer on August 30, 2023, 10:08:17 pm --- Massive 100-year-old oak tree falls on Gov. Ron DeSantis’ mansion during Hurricane Idalia while his family’s inside
By Selim Algar   
August 30, 2023 2:54pm https://nypost.com/2023/08/30/huge-tree-just-misses-desantis-mansion-during-idalia/

--- End quote ---

Prayers up for the good governor and his family.  He's got a tremendous amount on his plate right now.

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: libertybele on August 28, 2023, 01:56:16 pm ---This will impact as a Cat 3 in the Big Bend area, that is what we are hearing locally.   --   We are also hearing that even without it being a hurricane as of right now we could see 2-4 foot of storm surge. Depending on the tide at the time it could have a significant impact.  I like your sister am very concerned.  Wind is one thing, water is another. 

We are under a 'watch' for right now. I am trying to remain calm.

However, and the reason for my huge concern is this is exactly the scenario that played out during Ian.  They kept telling us that the hurricane would hit the Big Bend area and it hit Lee county as a Cat5 (that's what was recorded here locally different than the 'official' records of Cat 4).  Storm surge was extreme.

Prayers up for your sister @mystery-ak

--- End quote ---
Near and at the full moon, the high tides tend to be higher, the low tides, lower. ("Spring Tides")

The storm surge will be superimposed on that.

catfish1957:

--- Quote from: Wingnut on August 30, 2023, 02:08:56 am ---You never forget your first time.

--- End quote ---

Or your 9th, 10th, and 11th.

I was surprised this thing reached Cat 4.  That was a hell of a day of strengthening.  1-4 in 24 hours.  Very impressive.

When our Louisiana 100+ year old homestead got hit by Laura, we lost Virgin Pine trees that were easily 120-140 years old.  That is at least how long ago similar winds were seen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version