Author Topic: White House defends response to asylum seeker influx following criticism from New York governor  (Read 194 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
White House defends response to asylum seeker influx following criticism from New York governor
By Priscilla Alvarez, Polo Sandoval and Mark Morales, CNN
Published 1:10 PM EDT, Fri August 25, 2023

NY governor asks Biden to help state with influx of migrants
02:46 - Source: CNN
CNN
 —
The White House defended its response to the asylum seeker influx facing New York Friday, arguing that without congressional action, the administration is limited in what it can do, following a letter from New York Gov. Kathy Hochul urging more action.

The growing number of migrants at the US-Mexico border has posed a steep challenge for the Biden administration. It’s a delicate issue for a White House dogged by fierce criticism from the left and right over its handling of the US southern border and remains a political vulnerability amid Republican attacks as the 2024 presidential election approaches and Democratic local officials face pressures at home.

Hochul’s announcement this week is the latest salvo in the ongoing migrant saga that has bedeviled local and state officials struggling to navigate the crisis that they have said needs a more robust federal response. “The reality is we’ve managed thus far without substantive support from Washington,” Hochul said in an address from Albany Thursday.

https://us.cnn.com/2023/08/25/politics/white-house-new-york-asylum/index.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Well,, there are at least two democrats who know what conservatives feel like trying to deal with democrats. :banging:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson