Author Topic: NYC woman says she lost over $740K after her lawyer’s email was hacked  (Read 660 times)

Offline Kamaji

NYC woman says she lost over $740K after her lawyer’s email was hacked

By Kathianne Boniello   
August 26, 2023

An Upper West Side woman lost the bulk of her savings after thieves hacked into her real estate lawyer’s email and duped her into wiring them more than $746,000, she claims in a lawsuit.

Leila Meltzer was living in a studio in Lincoln Towers when she got the chance in 2021 to buy a bigger, 739-square-foot one-bedroom apartment with a balcony in the same building on West End Avenue.

Meltzer, 77, agreed to pay $849,000 for the new apartment and lined up a buyer for her 575-square-foot studio, using a combination of a family inheritance and her life savings to pay for the new pad.

After shelling out the 10% down payment, the retired nurse got emails in October 2021 from her presumed attorney Debra M. Powell, instructing her to wire the remaining $746,100, according to the Manhattan Supreme Court lawsuit.

Meltzer sent the money — only to find out two days later that the requests were fake, she claimed in the legal filing.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/26/nyc-woman-lost-746k-after-lawyers-email-was-hacked-suit/

Offline Kamaji

Let's hope the lawyer has enough malpractice coverage.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Let's hope the lawyer has enough malpractice coverage.

@Kamaji

Chances are it is someone pretending to  be a lawyer,so let's just hope she has enough assets for the po-po to seize to put that old woman back in a house/townhouse/whatever.

I also hope the (probably) fake lawyer goes to a very unpleasant prison for a long time.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Kamaji

@Kamaji

Chances are it is someone pretending to  be a lawyer,so let's just hope she has enough assets for the po-po to seize to put that old woman back in a house/townhouse/whatever.

I also hope the (probably) fake lawyer goes to a very unpleasant prison for a long time.

She's suing her lawyer - the actual lawyer - for negligence and malpractice:

“Powell did not see this email or learn anything about what was happening to her client because her email account was under the control of the hackers,” Meltzer said in the lawsuit against Powell, alleging the attorney was “oblivious to the threat of cybercrime” and “failed to take even the most rudimentary steps to protect Meltzer from cyberfraud.”

And rightly so, in this day and age, even solos have no excuses for not having secure electronic systems.

Offline mountaineer

Yep. If your business is connected to the worldwide superhighway information web at all, you sure as heck better have security systems in place.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Best security is to have people show up and conduct the transactions in person.

If it isn't on line, it is much harder to steal.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Best security is to have people show up and conduct the transactions in person.

If it isn't on line, it is much harder to steal.

I always paid the lawyer in person - or their paralegal. And got a receipt at the same time.

Always get a receipt whether or not you pay cash or credit .
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Always be skeptical about requests for money from anyone all the time.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Always be skeptical about requests for money from anyone all the time.

@DefiantMassRINO

Like the Peter Griffin avatar!
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️