Author Topic: Finding Remains of Missing Service Members a Diplomatic Success Story  (Read 170 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Finding Remains of Missing Service Members a Diplomatic Success Story
Aug. 23, 2023 | By David Vergun , DOD News |   
The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency has been searching for remains of U.S. military members in 45 nations.

Besides bringing closure to their loved ones, this effort has strengthened America's diplomatic ties with those nations, said the agency's director, Kelly McKeague, who spoke virtually today with the Center for a New American Security.

A soldier speaks to natives in a tropical area.
The Defense Department partners with the State Department in this effort, as well as the local population of each country, he said.

When the agency sends investigative or recovery teams to those nations, local residents are usually employed to assist, McKeague said.

"Villagers from far and wide descend upon the site and help the team with the labor that's associated with that particular excavation," he said. "We are projecting American values in a positive way. And more importantly, for many of these cultures and many of these citizens, it's an opportunity to give back."

McKeague provided three examples.

https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Stories/Article/Article/3502881/finding-remains-of-missing-service-members-a-diplomatic-success-story/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson