Author Topic: New York State Police: Ammunition Background Check System Will Be Online Sept. 13  (Read 721 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
https://www.theepochtimes.com/article/new-york-state-police-ammunition-background-check-system-will-be-online-sept-13-post-5480904

New York State Police: Ammunition Background Check System Will Be Online Sept. 13
By Michael Clements
8/25/23

New York State Police say a system to perform background checks for ammunition purchases will be in place by Sept. 13, 2023.

“The process is being developed and will be finalized and posted prior to going live on (Sept. 13, 2023),” an Aug. 25 email from the New York State Police (NYSP) Public Information Office reads.

The NYSP will be the point of contact for background checks for all firearm purchases and will handle background checks for ammunition purchases beginning Sept. 13, 2023, under NY Exec. Law 228 passed in 2022.

This means that in New York, only Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) dealers will be able to sell ammunition, and a background check will be required with each purchase.

Gov. Kathy Hochul’s office did not return calls and emails from The Epoch Times seeking comment.

According to the NYSP email, state police will charge a fee for each background check. Firearm purchase background checks will cost $9, and ammunition background checks will cost $2.50. The payments will be transferred to the state comptroller, who will put them in a fund to cover the expenses of the background check system.

The fees will be assessed per purchase with no limit on the amount or type of ammunition, the email reads.

Federal law requires background checks for gun purchases. However, the law restricts using the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to a “proposed firearm transfer as required by the Brady Act.” FFL dealers are prohibited from using the NICS for anything else. According to the NYSP, this will not be an issue.

“Background checks are required by New York state law,” the email reads.

Under NY Exec. Law 228, information gathered will be placed in a statewide firearms license database. The database could include information from “the Division of Criminal Justice Services, the New York State Department of Health, the New York State Office of Mental Health, and other local entities.”

More at URL above...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 02:15:15 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline Kamaji

:facepalm2:

They're such geniuses in Albany that it seems to have escaped them that ammunition, being small and compact, is rather easy to pick up in another state and bring into New York.  This will do nothing more than inconvenience law-abiding firearms owners, and won't do a damned thing to disarm those who are dangerous and should not be allowed to have a firearm.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 03:53:21 pm by Kamaji »

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
So a new tax system to rake in more money (bigger government) and potential to be put on another list.

New York Values...
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline DefiantMassRINO

More New York firearms owners will be taking days trips to Vermont and Pennsylvania.

////00000////

Yes, we all know how criminals repect the rule of law.  Thankfully this will keep law abiding criminals in check.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

More New York firearms owners will be taking days trips to Vermont and Pennsylvania.

////00000////

Yes, we all know how criminals repect the rule of law.  Thankfully this will keep law abiding criminals in check.

:thumbsup:

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
They do this crap in California, if we go out of state in a effort to go around it we are committing a crime in California and there are people in other states who copy down California plates outside of gun stores and call them in to California law enforcement so that the people will be pulled over searched and cited...Bastards! As a matter of fact I just found out that I can't even order reloading components like bullets from out of state without them being delivered to a FFL, not primers or powder but just bullets themselves I don't know if cases are included but it's insane! I can buy things in California, for more money(not the bullets I wanted though) but I have no idea what the stores are required to report to the state and I really don't like the fascists knowing anymore about me than necessary  **nononono*

Offline Kamaji

They do this crap in California, if we go out of state in a effort to go around it we are committing a crime in California and there are people in other states who copy down California plates outside of gun stores and call them in to California law enforcement so that the people will be pulled over searched and cited...Bastards! As a matter of fact I just found out that I can't even order reloading components like bullets from out of state without them being delivered to a FFL, not primers or powder but just bullets themselves I don't know if cases are included but it's insane! I can buy things in California, for more money(not the bullets I wanted though) but I have no idea what the stores are required to report to the state and I really don't like the fascists knowing anymore about me than necessary  **nononono*

So, drive out-of-state, rent a car out-of-state, and use the rental to go to a gun store.