Author Topic: Kyle Rittenhouse Sued by Estate of Criminal He Shot in Self-Defense  (Read 711 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas Scorecard by  Sydnie Henry August 25, 2023

The estate of Joseph Rosenbaum has filed a lawsuit on the third anniversary of the Kenosha incident.

On August 25, 2020, 17-year-old Kyle Rittenhouse shot three men, killing two, in self-defense during a Black Lives Matter protest in Kenosha, Wisconsin.

Now, the estate of Joseph Rosenbaum is suing Rittenhouse, Kenosha officials, local Sheriff’s departments, the City of Kenosha, the City of West Allis, and several counties for “compensatory and punitive damages” for the “wrongful death” of Rosenbaum.

“These lawsuits are making it harder and harder for me to move on with my life,” Rittenhouse told Texas Scorecard. “It is extremely difficult to go outside without fear of being harassed or assaulted because of the lies spread in these lawsuits. No one should have to continue to defend the fact that they acted in self defense.”

More: https://texasscorecard.com/state/exclusive-kyle-rittenhouse-sued-by-estate-of-criminal-he-shot-in-self-defense/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Kyle Rittenhouse Sued by Estate of Criminal He Shot in Self-Defense
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 01:44:50 pm »
Considering Rittenhouse's actions were ruled self defense, There is a real question of how these people can call the death "wrongful".

Countersue.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 01:54:02 pm »
Considering Rittenhouse's actions were ruled self defense, There is a real question of how these people can call the death "wrongful".

Countersue.

Think it will matter? All they need to do is find a lib judge, lib jury. This may be a reason why, even though I supported (and do support) Kyle's innocence, you don't hang around a riot zone with a rifle, even though you may have a right to.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 02:08:15 pm »
Think it will matter? All they need to do is find a lib judge, lib jury. This may be a reason why, even though I supported (and do support) Kyle's innocence, you don't hang around a riot zone with a rifle, even though you may have a right to.

A determined legal team, motivated by big contingency potential, will find many ways to make Kyle's life pure hell.  Rittenhouse has something to lose.  I suspect Rosenbaum's estate does not. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2023, 02:12:56 pm »
A determined legal team, motivated by big contingency potential, will find many ways to make Kyle's life pure hell.  Rittenhouse has something to lose.  I suspect Rosenbaum's estate does not.

And the F'n trial lawyers get ever richer!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2023, 02:16:53 pm »

Haha, very true. Nor do the Antifa morons that Andy Ngo recently won a lawsuit against.

I believe the saying is "you can't get blood from a stone" or something like that.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2023, 03:14:17 pm »

Countersue.

The problem is that there are different burdens of proof between the criminal trial and a civil one.  I'm pretty sure that Rittenshouse's self-defense claim was not an "affirmative defense" that he was required to prove.  Rather, the prosecution had to prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" that Rittenhouse was not acting in self-defense.  In other words, the jury in that case could have believed that while Rittenhouse was "probably not" acting in self-defense, the prosecution didn't prove that beyond a reasonable doubt.  But in a civil case "probably not" would have won.  So in that respect, the criminal acquittal doesn't not preclude a civil verdict in favor of the family.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2023, 08:48:53 pm »
The problem is that there are different burdens of proof between the criminal trial and a civil one.  I'm pretty sure that Rittenshouse's self-defense claim was not an "affirmative defense" that he was required to prove.  Rather, the prosecution had to prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" that Rittenhouse was not acting in self-defense.  In other words, the jury in that case could have believed that while Rittenhouse was "probably not" acting in self-defense, the prosecution didn't prove that beyond a reasonable doubt.  But in a civil case "probably not" would have won.  So in that respect, the criminal acquittal doesn't not preclude a civil verdict in favor of the family.

:thumbsup:

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2023, 08:51:43 pm »
On the other hand I wonder how the jury would react knowing this guy was a pedo?

Online Kamaji

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2023, 08:52:56 pm »
On the other hand I wonder how the jury would react knowing this guy was a pedo?

Possibly badly, which is why that information will almost certainly not be allowed in, unless his estate is stupid enough to open the door to it.