Author Topic: Fall 2023 / Winter 2024 Football Thread  (Read 8909 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Fall 2023 / Winter 2024 Football Thread
« on: August 25, 2023, 11:09:13 pm »

It's getting to be that time of year again, so I figured it was time to reboot the football thread. NFL preseason is underway, college starts this weekend. As always, this will be open as a catch-all for discussion of any level of the game.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Fall 2023 / Winter 2024 Football Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2023, 08:50:11 pm »
(sigh)

I thought we were over this, but I guess I have to iterate this again:

If your sole purpose of posting on this thread is to whine about how you're "not going to watch those whiny kneelers," then please just don't post. You wouldn't walk into a room, unzip your drawers, take a leak on the floor and leave, would you? Well, that's what you do when you make those kinds of posts. This is not an airport. You don't have to announce your departures, so bye, Felicia.

Sincerely,
Your mostly-friendly sports board moderator

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2023, 09:04:35 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

...and don't let the door hit your "come lo chiami" on the way out!

PS:  COME ON, BUFFALO!!   GO BILLS!!

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2023, 10:46:06 pm »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 11:49:44 pm »
@DCPatriot

#gobills  :beer:

h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHbnQXsyDrE

@jmyrlefuller

The Anchor Bar in Frederick, Maryland...a regional franchise named after the original in Buffalo, NY, shows every BILLS game on over 50 screens.

Every time the BILLS would score a TD, they'd play that over the sound system.

In. Frederick. Maryland.    :laugh:   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2023, 11:54:39 pm »
@DCPatriot

#gobills  :beer:

h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHbnQXsyDrE

@jmyrlefuller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EqRqN8twiM

Stephen A. Smith accepted a bet from Chris Russo...with the winner hosting the other's show for a week as to how many victories the BILLS will have going into the Postseason.

Chris Russo took the over 11.5 
Stephen A took the under

happy77
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 11:58:26 pm by DCPatriot »

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2023, 12:00:00 am »
I'm truly baffled by the hype there is around the Jets and Aaron Rodgers.

Aaron Rodgers is 40 years old. He hasn't won a playoff game in a decade. He went 8–9 last season, the same 8–9 record that convinced Tom Brady to finally retire in Tampa Bay. Plus he's clearly not right in the head.

Yet this is the guy that's supposed to surpass Josh Allen and the Bills for the division lead? I mean, I think Miami is a bigger threat to that (assuming Tua doesn't get scrambled brains). They're at least a solid wild card team. New England appears to be heading into the sunset.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2023, 12:10:12 am »

Aaron Rodgers is 40 years old. He hasn't won a playoff game in a decade. He went 8–9 last season, the same 8–9 record that convinced Tom Brady to finally retire in Tampa Bay. Plus he's clearly not right in the head.

Yet this is the guy that's supposed to surpass Josh Allen and the Bills for the division lead? I mean, I think Miami is a bigger threat to that (assuming Tua doesn't get scrambled brains). They're at least a solid wild card team. New England appears to be heading into the sunset.

MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL...WEEK 1 

Mad Dog has the BILLS at 7-1 entering week 9 vs. BENGALS.
Smith says 6-2 but 6-3 after week 9.

Seems to me that Allen is going to HAVE to target "The Captain" a lot more in the future rather than running around trying to make a highlight film.

It's better for his health, too! 

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2023, 02:05:51 am »
Agreed, @jmyrlefuller
Rodgers is not the cure for the Jets' woes.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2023, 05:53:07 am »
First week of College football was a snoozer to me. Hope it picks up this week.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2023, 11:28:00 am »
WVU vs. Penn State tonight.
We've enjoyed watching a few local high school games lately. Last night, both of our alma maters were on TV, and both won.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2023, 01:07:35 pm »
First week of College football was a snoozer to me. Hope it picks up this week.
Most of the games usually are. These first few weeks are when most of the big schools schedule their cupcake opponents to run up their records. So you see a lot of blowouts. It's basically preseason, unless you're one of the cupcake opponents, then it's the highlight of your season, even if you get predictably crushed as the cost of that hefty payout.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2023, 01:30:24 pm »
Most of the games usually are. These first few weeks are when most of the big schools schedule their cupcake opponents to run up their records. So you see a lot of blowouts. It's basically preseason, unless you're one of the cupcake opponents, then it's the highlight of your season, even if you get predictably crushed as the cost of that hefty payout.

It's more noticeable in college hoops...Georgetown University would play nobody but scrub opponents for the 1st month of their season in order to raise their national ranking.  University of Maryland did it too!

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2023, 02:12:35 am »

And... whaddayaknow? First series, Rodgers injures his ankle and is out for the game.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2023, 08:18:58 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

See what happens when you wake up one day and find yourself on the cover of Madden?  And TV commercials up the Ying-Yang?

See what happens when you ditch your sweetheart for a Hollywood actress?

Hailey my ass! 

Stop turning the ball over!    9999hair out0000

« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 05:56:25 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline DCPatriot

« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:50:24 am by DCPatriot »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2023, 11:12:37 pm »
Was his right knee down?

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2023, 12:46:36 am »
Looked to me like the ball broke the plane before the knee touched.  That was a tough game for me - I dislike both teams greatly.   :whistle:

Online Hoodat

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2023, 01:14:07 am »
Looked to me like the ball broke the plane before the knee touched.  That was a tough game for me - I dislike both teams greatly.   :whistle:

Same here.  I wish they had both lost.

btw, Congrats on Marshall beating VPI.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2023, 01:11:46 pm »
Same here.  I wish they had both lost.

btw, Congrats on Marshall beating VPI.
Yeah, they're pretty good this year. WVU is more my team - parents and husband are alumni. I don't expect much of the Mountaineers, however. Joining the Big12 was a huge mistake.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2023, 08:45:21 pm »
So... you bank your team on a 39-year-old QB. You get a half-dozen prime time games, most of which are too early to be flexed out, on your schedule. That QB goes down with a season-ending injury a few plays into Game 1. Solution?

At least for the networks...

You get the biggest pop star in America to start dating a football player and cause a distraction for the game.
https://deadline.com/2023/10/sunday-night-football-a-sideshow-to-tonights-taylor-swift-appearance-at-jets-game-1235561162/

Online Hoodat

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2023, 04:47:35 am »
Miami decides to run the ball instead of taking a knee to run out clock.  Go Jackets!

https://twitter.com/TrenchMobTest/status/1710864516647399895

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2023, 10:37:56 am »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2023, 12:27:10 pm »
Great win by Louisville over the perpetually overrated Notre Dame.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2023, 01:30:12 pm »
With the state of the world today....with everything upside down and inside out...it's a bit uncomfortable watching the performance of the Star-Spangled Banner in LONDON, ENGLAND right now at the BILLS/JAGS game.

Starts now at 9:30AM