Author Topic: 3 takeaways from Tucker Carlson's softball interview with Donald Trump  (Read 357 times)

Offline libertybele

3 takeaways from Tucker Carlson's softball interview with Donald Trump

In a pretaped interview designed to undercut the first Republican presidential primary debate, fired former Fox News host Tucker Carlson gave former President Donald Trump a platform to express himself without being challenged. Trump opted to skip the debate, where the GOP frontrunner would have taken blows from his rivals.

Before the 46-minute interview began, Trump wrote on his social media site that “SPARKS WILL FLY.” Instead, Carlson marched in lock-step with Trump throughout the bulk of the interview.

Carlson did not touch on the substance of the 91 felonies Trump is accused of having committed in the four criminal trials that could take place during the presidential election. But he did offer: “How do you get indicted every week and stay cheerful?”

On the subject of who Trump might run against if Biden were to drop out of the race, Carlson ventured, “I’m interested. So you think he’s failing. It’s obvious he is failing. I think it’s clear to everybody. But that would make Kamala Harris the candidate?”

“Well, not really,” Trump responded before speculating at length and reflecting that Harris “has some bad moments.”

..........“I was very disappointed in him,” Trump said of his former running mate.

Also singled out for scorn were Trump’s former Attorney General William Barr, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and former Fox News anchor Chris Wallace..................

........Though Carlson asserted that he was “not a conspiracy person at all,” he asked Trump whether he believed his former friend Jeffrey Epstein had been killed in prison and whether Barr might have had something to do with it or helped cover up the murder. In perhaps the most newsworthy moment of the interview, Trump responded that he believed Epstein had “probably committed suicide.”...............

.......At two different points in the interview, Carlson asked Trump whether he was worried that his political opponents were “going to try to kill you?”

“They’re savage animals,” Trump responded. “They’re people that are sick.”................

https://news.yahoo.com/3-takeaways-from-tucker-carlsons-softball-interview-with-donald-trump-023821815.html

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: 3 takeaways from Tucker Carlson's softball interview with Donald Trump
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 11:43:03 pm »
"Softball"...
Consider the source...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2023, 11:48:36 pm »
"Softball"...
Consider the source...
I just thought it was (for once) a decent conversation in a nonhostile environment.
Instead of shouting at him, Tucker brought up points and let him actually answer.

That has been Tucker's style in all these interviews with candidates, and it is a breath of fresh air compared to the badgering any Republican can expect from the MSM.

I will keep watching those interviews as long as Tucker posts them.

Even the 'debate' was rife with interruptions, one candidate telling the other what that other thinks (oh, swami! Who knew?), and competing for clock time without necessarily saying anything.  Nothing more aggravating than someone who drags out their answer and then won't shut up when their time is done (something they pretty much all did). If they can't respect the debate rules for an hour or two, what makes me think they might respect our Country's rules for four years?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 11:52:09 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 12:35:43 am »
I just thought it was (for once) a decent conversation in a nonhostile environment.
Instead of shouting at him, Tucker brought up points and let him actually answer.

That has been Tucker's style in all these interviews with candidates, and it is a breath of fresh air compared to the badgering any Republican can expect from the MSM.

I will keep watching those interviews as long as Tucker posts them.

Even the 'debate' was rife with interruptions, one candidate telling the other what that other thinks (oh, swami! Who knew?), and competing for clock time without necessarily saying anything.  Nothing more aggravating than someone who drags out their answer and then won't shut up when their time is done (something they pretty much all did). If they can't respect the debate rules for an hour or two, what makes me think they might respect our Country's rules for four years?

I only watched about the first half of the debate.  As far as candidates competing for time, that's happened in just about every debate I've watched in the past. It is annoying.

Trump obviously didn't have to compete for clock time -- he had no other candidates to interrupt him.  Otherwise, it is likely he would have done the same.

I didn't watch the Carlson/Trump interview. However, to be completely fair, Carlson should interview all the GOP candidates, giving them the same amount of time and asking the same questions. Would people tune in though or would they just tune in to see the candidate that appeals to them?

With the debates, all the candidates are lined up and at least get to make comments where people can then begin to form an opinion one way or the other.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2023, 02:50:09 pm »
However, to be completely fair, Carlson should interview all the GOP candidates, giving them the same amount of time and asking the same questions.

Would never happen in a million years.  Tucker has his views, to which he certainly is entitled.  And like anyone skilled in interviewing, he can steer his questions, tone, demeanor, and interjected comments towards the candidates and policies he personally prefers.  That's exactly what he has always done and will continue to do.