Author Topic: Virginia Teen Quits High School After Officials Demand He Remove American Flags From His Truck  (Read 957 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Virginia Teen Quits High School After Officials Demand He Remove American Flags From His Truck
BY CULTURE BEAT
AUGUST 24, 2023 AT 10:56AM

A Virginia teenager has dropped out of high school and opted to be homeschooled instead after officials demanded that he remove American flags from his truck.

School Demands Teen Take Down Flags
Daily Mail reported that Christopher Hartless told reporters that he has no intention of taking down his American flags, as he believes that the First Amendment gives him the right to fly the flags on his property.

“My family fought for America, and I feel like I should be able to represent the flags that they fought for,” Hartless told Fox 19.

Christina Kingery, the teenager’s stepmom, explained that officials at Staunton River High School in Bedford County told him that the American flags displayed on his vehicle were a “distraction.”

“I don’t understand how it’s distracting if they have one on the flagpole that every other student can see,” Hartless lamented.

https://thepoliticalinsider.com/virginia-teen-quits-high-school-after-officials-demand-he-remove-american-flags-from-his-truck/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Online Hoodat

That's crazy.  This is SW Virginia.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot

Central Virginia actually, East of Roanoke.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online Hoodat

Central Virginia actually, East of Roanoke.

Your perception of 'Central Virginia' differs from mine.  I would gauge it close to Cumberland County.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Hoodat

Which makes it  even crazier in MY book! It has been several years since I have been there,but that whole area used to be very conservative.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Your perception of 'Central Virginia' differs from mine.  I would gauge it close to Cumberland County.

@Hoodat   @Timber Rattler

What difference does it make? That whole area used to be rural and conservative. Other than the mining areas in the western part of Va,anyway. They were all 19th century mining towns even in recent times.

Online Hoodat

Yes, SW Virginia has been staunchly Conservative.  But up until Obama, it had also been staunchly Democrat.  (Think Joe Manchin).  Obama killed all that with his war against coal, freedom, and independence from government.  Now they are the most solid GOP counties in the State.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The American flag is not a "distraction".  Idiotic school administators are a distraction.

"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Conservatives need to stop quitting. Fight back.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Is it North of Richmond?  Asking for a friend.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DB

Conservatives need to stop quitting. Fight back.

I don't know. Quitting California was a good move for me. Let California have what it claims to want - good and hard.

Online Timber Rattler

I'm originally from Buchanan County (the crook between Kentucky and West Virginia).  For us, Southwest Virginia ends at Roanoke to the East and Floyd, Carroll, and Grayson Counties to the Southeast, and Kentucky to the West and West Virginia to the North.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 06:31:39 pm by Timber Rattler »
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

Online Timber Rattler

@Hoodat   @Timber Rattler

What difference does it make? That whole area used to be rural and conservative. Other than the mining areas in the western part of Va,anyway. They were all 19th century mining towns even in recent times.

There actually is a pretty big difference, considering that Roanoke and Blacksburg are now overwhelmingly liberal because of Virginia Tech, Radford University, and Rollins University and Roanoke College.  Bedford is to the east5 of that corridor, while Southwest Virginia is to the west.

I now live in Pennsylvania, but my heart will always remain in Southwest Virginia!

From the 2020 election:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_United_States_presidential_election_in_Virginia

My home county:

The Place That Wants Donald Trump Most

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-place-that-loves-donald-trump-most-1460917663

Online Timber Rattler

Obama killed all that with his war against coal, freedom, and independence from government.  Now they are the most solid GOP counties in the State.

Yeppers!

Obama: "I love Rick Boucher"

https://chesapeakeclimate.org/obama-i-love-rick-boucher/

Day of reckoning for climate vote

https://www.politico.com/story/2010/11/day-of-reckoning-for-climate-vote-044617

Ousted Rep. Rick Boucher says ‘it was a send-a-message kind of election

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2010-nov-03-la-pn-boucher-loss-20101104-story.html

Democrats who voted for the controversial House climate bill were slaughtered at the ballot box, including Rep. Rick Boucher, the 14-term Virginian who helped broker some of the key deals instrumental to its June 2009 passage. In the Senate, several reliable green advocates also went down to opponents who derided tough new environmental policies.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 06:17:55 pm by Timber Rattler »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
There actually is a pretty big difference, considering that Roanoke and Blacksburg are now overwhelmingly liberal because of Virginia Tech, Radford University, and Rollins University and Roanoke College.  Bedford is to the east5 of that corridor, while Southwest Virginia is to the west.

@Timber Rattler

I am sorry to hear that.

Online mountaineer

Yes, SW Virginia has been staunchly Conservative.  But up until Obama, it had also been staunchly Democrat.  (Think Joe Manchin).  Obama killed all that with his war against coal, freedom, and independence from government.  Now they are the most solid GOP counties in the State.
Wrong state. Joe Manchin is from West Virginia, not Virginia. But what you say is true of W.Va., which was Democrat-controlled for 84 years until people finally got sick of the Democrats like Bill Clinton and Obammy working to destroy what industries we had.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Hoodat

I'm originally from Buchanan County

I grew up in Augusta County.

Online Hoodat

Wrong state. Joe Manchin is from West Virginia, not Virginia.

I know that, @mountaineer .  I was referring to the type of Democrat, not the home of the Democrat.  I would NEVER confuse the Commonwealth with West by God Virginia.

But what you say is true of W.Va., which was Democrat-controlled for 84 years until people finally got sick of the Democrats like Bill Clinton and Obammy working to destroy what industries we had.

The same for SW VA.  @Timber Rattler 's Buchanan County went for Kerry in 2004.  But since 2008, they've been solid red.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I think there's a little more going on in the story then there may seem to be at first glance.

The school not only has an American flag flying out front, but actually says the pledge of allegiance every day before classes. That is increasingly uncommon in much of the country, but they still do it in this school.

Also, it does not appear that the school's problem is with the flying of a flag, but rather than it has a neutral policy of banning the flying of any large flag or banner in the parking lot.

The reason that is important is that the school may not legally distinguish between what flags or banners are permitted, and which ones aren't.  In other words, if they permitted large American flags, they would also have to permit large "pride" flags, large black lives matter flags or banners, or any other politicized, left-wing flag that many of us might find offensive. In other words, the only way to stop that is to have a facially neutral rule limiting the size of any flags that can be flown, including the American flag.

Considering that there's already a large American flag flying in front of the school, and that the school says the pledge of allegiance every morning, I'm inclined to think that this policy was drafted by someone savvy enough about the laws who wanted to ban large politicized left wing flags and banners, and that this policy was the only legal way to do that.

Online Timber Rattler

The same for SW VA.  @Timber Rattler 's Buchanan County went for Kerry in 2004.  But since 2008, they've been solid red.

Well, Buchanan County's primary industry in 2004 was coal mining, and the United Mine Workers of America Union (UMWA) still had a large influence there.  Four years later though, the UMWA had largely imploded as the "global warming" (as it was then called) hysteria took root and the big coal mines shut down, throwing thousands of miners out of work.  The usual federal promises of "re-training" came to nought, and all those unemployed Democrat miners switched parties and voted "red" in 2008, never looking back, especially after VA-9 Democrat Congressman Rick Boucher embraced global warming and was actually key to pushing through Obama's initial "green" agenda in 2009.  Boucher was promptly thrown out of office in 2010, and was quite bitter about it.  Morgan Griffith has been the Congressman there since then, and has done a reasonably good job, although he's getting a little too cozy with the job, being in his 6th term.

https://rollcall.com/2009/05/04/boucher-pours-on-the-coal-in-climate-debate/

https://www.timesnews.net/news/local-news/boucher-brokers-climate-change-bill-compromise/article_2da632fd-5c35-5eff-865b-871456b8114a.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Griffith