Author Topic: The average Canadian family paid more in 2022 on taxes than it did on housing, food and clothing com  (Read 312 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The average Canadian family paid more in 2022 on taxes than it did on housing, food and clothing combined
Fraser Institute image
By Fraser Institute ——Bio and Archives--August 22, 2023

CALGARY—The average Canadian family spent 45.3 per cent of its income on taxes in 2022—more than housing, food and clothing costs combined, finds a new study published by the Fraser Institute, an independent, non-partisan Canadian public policy think-tank.

“Taxes remain the largest household expense for families in Canada,” said Jake Fuss, director of Fiscal Studies at the Fraser Institute and co-author of Taxes versus the Necessities of Life: The Canadian Consumer Tax Index 2023 Edition.

In 2022, the average Canadian family earned an income of $106,430 and paid in total taxes equaling $48,199.

In other words, the average Canadian family spent 45.3 per cent of its income on taxes compared to 35.6 per cent on basic necessities.

https://canadafreepress.com/article/the-average-canadian-family-paid-more-in-2022-on-taxes-than-it-did-on-housing-food-and-clothing-combined
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson