Author Topic: Subway sold to Arby's and Dunkin' owner Roark Capital  (Read 575 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Subway sold to Arby's and Dunkin' owner Roark Capital
« on: August 24, 2023, 04:16:11 pm »
ubway said Thursday that the sandwich chain will be sold to private equity firm Roark Capital.

Terms of the deal weren't disclosed. Earlier this week, however, The Wall Street Journal reported that Roark was offering around $9.6 billion for Subway outbidding rival buyout firms TDR Capital and Sycamore.

"This transaction reflects Subway's long-term growth potential, and the substantial value of our brand and our franchisees around the world," Subway CEO John Chidsey said in a statement.

Peter Buck, a nuclear physicist, and Fred DeLuca, co-founded the first Subway restaurant, then called "Pete's Super Submarines," in Bridgeport, Connecticut, in 1965. The eatery changed its name to Subway in 1968. DeLuca died in 2015, and Buck died in 2021

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/subway-sale-roark-capital-arbys-dunkin-sonic/
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Re: Subway sold to Arby's and Dunkin' owner Roark Capital
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 06:36:27 pm »
Wow...   Shocker.

Recent fin analysis had SUB @$14.7B market capitalization.   And it's being sold on market at $9.7B?

That is a red flashing sign that this is a company in serious decline and trouble.  There are over 40K franchises world wide.  Watch for a major contraction, eliminating marginally profitable stores.

One issue is over building.  I can think of at least 4 personal  examples where I have seeb Subways  within eye shot of each other. How stupid is that?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2023, 06:50:25 pm »
Wow...   Shocker.

Recent fin analysis had SUB @$14.7B market capitalization.   And it's being sold on market at $9.7B?

That is a red flashing sign that this is a company in serious decline and trouble.  There are over 40K franchises world wide.  Watch for a major contraction, eliminating marginally profitable stores.

One issue is over building.  I can think of at least 4 personal  examples where I have seeb Subways  within eye shot of each other. How stupid is that?

There are Subways in the 4 hospitals around here; much needed to counter the much to be desired hospital food.

We have one Arby's in our entire city. So it is surprising that Arby's has a hand in this.

Plenty of Dunkin' Donuts around here and they are always packed.  :shrug:

Just an observation of my area.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 06:53:01 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2023, 06:56:55 pm »
Wow...   Shocker.

I think that's been a perennial issue with the company, and is probably becoming a bigger and bigger drag on their margins.

I can think of several such pairs I've seen just in NYC alone.

Offline DB

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2023, 07:22:20 pm »
Subway is pretty close to the last place I'd go to get something to eat... Many better choices available.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2023, 07:28:59 pm »
Subway is pretty close to the last place I'd go to get something to eat... Many better choices available.

You make good points.  It's not the best tasting food, but I do like seeing and watching how my sandwich is being prepared.

My first summer job out of high school was flipping burgers at $1.10/hr.  I've seen what can go on when you have a buncha kids running loose in a fast food joint. I'll just leave it at that.  :thud:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2023, 07:51:48 pm »

:yowsa: https://www.mcalistersdeli.com/
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2023, 07:59:40 pm »
I've been struck by how many big-name celebrities Subway has signed to do TV ads. Seems like a big waste of money. Do I really care what Steph Curry or Megan Rapinoe says about sandwiches?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2023, 08:02:26 pm »

Jersey Mikes!
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2023, 08:10:15 pm »
We are coupon clippers, and Subway does not honor coupons locally so we just skip them when making choices. Arby's comes out a big winner due to their coupon selections.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.