Author Topic: Nikki Haley Burned Trump and Her Fellow Republicans for Blowing Up the Debt. She's Right.  (Read 1224 times)

Online Kamaji

Nikki Haley Burned Trump and Her Fellow Republicans for Blowing Up the Debt. She's Right.

"Donald Trump added $8 trillion to our debt," Haley said during the opening moments of Wednesday's first Republican primary debate.

ERIC BOEHM

When it comes to runaway federal spending, unsustainable levels of borrowing, and the inflation that those first two things have helped unleash, former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley said Wednesday that Republicans better look in the mirror.

"The truth is that Biden didn't do this to us, our Republicans did this to us too," Haley said during the early moments of Wednesday's Republican primary debate. She pointed specifically to Republican support in Congress for COVID stimulus bills and other recent spending packages. "They need to stop the spending, they need to stop the borrowing, they need to eliminate the earmarks that Republicans brought back in," she said.

Then she delivered the hammer blow: "And Donald Trump added $8 trillion to our debt, and our kids are never going to forgive us for this," Haley said.

She nailed it.

https://twitter.com/AccountableGOP/status/1694519898880282652

Trump promised to pay off the national debt within eight years when he was running for office in 2016. When he got to the White House, the national debt was a little less than $20 trillion. He, uh, didn't pay it off. Instead, federal spending climbed each of the first three years that Trump was in office—from $3.98 trillion in fiscal year 2017 to $4.45 trillion in 2019—then exploded in 2020 due to emergency COVID-19 spending. (For the first two years of Trump's term, Republicans also had full control of Congress, so there is a lot of blame to go around.)

Source:  https://reason.com/2023/08/23/nikki-haley-burned-trump-and-her-fellow-republicans-for-blowing-up-the-debt-shes-right/

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Good point. While others are wondering who "burned"/"humiliated" who, fact remains that fiscally we are in big trouble. Trouble is, not sure the public cares about that, when they can't even manage their own finances.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Nice jab at DeSantis - except he was long gone when the big numbers rolled in. Pretty disingenuous, but we know who she's scared of.

BTW Nikki, in the years you were Gov did you refuse any of the Federal deficit spending dollars for your state?
The Republic is lost.

Online LMAO

She is right.

But even if a candidate preaches against our unsustainable spending, what will they actually do when once in office?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

We know the $h!t is hitting the fan when long-serving members of Congress retire to "spend more time with their families" en masse.

The deficit / debt is an imaginary abstract esoteric accounting and actuarial paper crisis ... until its too late.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Definitely not my favorite, but I'd vote for her in the primaries before Ramaswamy, and in the general if she was the nominee.

Right now, the only person I'm sure I wouldn't vote for in the general is Trump.  Ramaswamy is on the bubble.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
She is right.

But even if a candidate preaches against our unsustainable spending, what will they actually do when once in office?
Seems to me we found out about one of them not so very long ago.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I found her to be unlikable. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

No, she doesn't have an overwhelmingly likeable personality, but she did well last night and she is correct on this subject.  IMHO she can't express the confidence that she needs to when she speaks. However, at this point in time, should she be the GOP nominee, I would consider voting for her.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

More than that.  She is the "B" word with a capital "B"  I hope she flames out ASAP.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
She is right.

Ask Paul Ryan what happens when you try.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Ask Paul Ryan what happens when you try.

:yowsa:

For all the hatred he got, Ryan was the last national figure who actually was willing to take on entitlements.  He deserves respect just for that.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

For all the hatred he got, Ryan was the last national figure who actually was willing to take on entitlements.  He deserves respect just for that.

Bbbbbbbbbut.....    By history, his wagon is hitched to Romney.  There is no recovery from that.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Bovine scat! Paul Ryan was/is a master at giving the appearance of doing something while actually doing nothing at all of substance! He is far from the only one.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 04:14:37 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Bbbbbbbbbut.....    By history, his wagon is hitched to Romney.  There is no recovery from that.

Nobody in Washington is close to 100%, and Romney wasn't as bad in 2012 as he became later.  And it doesn't detract from the Ryan's relentless opposition to entitlement.  He actually rammed through a partial repeal to Obamacare that would have ended up killing to the whole thing in the end.  It would have passed the Senate if not for McCain being a spiteful douchenozzle.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Bovine scat! Paul Ryan was/is a master at giving the appearance of doing something while actually doing nothing at all of substance! He is far from the only one.

Ryan consistently pushed for entitlement reform.  It was never his fault that the rest of the GOP -- especially Trump -- didn't have the stomach for it. 

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/congress/paul-ryan-entitlement-reform-is-the-policy-goal-that-got-away

And as I noted above, he got the partial repeal of Obamacare -- the entitlement part -- through the House.  He also got through the tax reform bill.  That's not "nothing at all of substance".

He was wildly wrong on immigration.  But there hasn't been anyone else in Washington who opposed entitlements for as long or as consistently as he did.  The Dems absolutely hated him for it.

https://www.ncpssm.org/entitledtoknow/farewell-paul-ryan-insidious-entitlement-reforms/
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 04:41:55 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Kamaji

Ryan consistently pushed for entitlement reform.  It was never his fault that the rest of the GOP -- especially Trump -- didn't have the stomach for it. 

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/congress/paul-ryan-entitlement-reform-is-the-policy-goal-that-got-away

And as I noted above, he got the partial repeal of Obamacare -- the entitlement part -- through the House.  He also got through the tax reform bill.  That's not "nothing at all of substance".

He was wildly wrong on immigration.  But there hasn't been anyone else in Washington who opposed entitlements for as long or as consistently as he did.  The Dems absolutely hated him for it.

https://www.ncpssm.org/entitledtoknow/farewell-paul-ryan-insidious-entitlement-reforms/

:thumbsup:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Paul Ryan kept his thump on the scales and consistently prevented ANY real tax reform measure from being brought up and debated in Ways and Means. THAT is the truth of the matter! Smoke and mirrors is all Paul Ryan knows!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Paul Ryan kept his thump on the scales and consistently prevented ANY real tax reform measure from being brought up and debated in Ways and Means. THAT is the truth of the matter!

Paul Ryan was Chair of the House Ways and Means committee for a grand total of 10 months: January 2015 - October 15.  That's obviously when Obama was President, and there was no chance in hell he would have signed GOP/conservative tax reform.  Zero.  And he wasn't a fan of wasting time debating things that he knew weren't going anyway.

Smoke and mirrors is all Paul Ryan knows![/size]

Then how did the largest tax reform bill in history pass the very first time Ryan was Speaker and had a President who would sign his bill?  That can't just be coincidence, and it wasn't "smoke and mirrors".

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Sooner or later, the increasing size of interest payments on the Debt will force fiscal austerity.

Those that were fiscally loose will conveniently no longer be in Government and they will make future generations clean up their mess.

Inter-generational debt is tyranny.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 05:51:05 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Paul Ryan was Chair of the House Ways and Means committee for a grand total of 10 months: January 2015 - October 15.  That's obviously when Obama was President, and there was no chance in hell he would have signed GOP/conservative tax reform.  Zero.  And he wasn't a fan of wasting time debating things that he knew weren't going anyway.

He was speaker after that and strictly controlled Ways and Means as such.

Then how did the largest tax reform bill in history pass the very first time Ryan was Speaker and had a President who would sign his bill?  That can't just be coincidence, and it wasn't "smoke and mirrors".

What tax reform?? Just more smoke and mirrors disguised as tax reform.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
He was speaker after that and strictly controlled Ways and Means as such.

What tax reform?? Just more smoke and mirrors disguised as tax reform.
Sorry he didn't dismantle the "Marxist income tax" in favor of the BoortzTax designed solely to sell books.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Sorry he didn't dismantle the "Marxist income tax" in favor of the BoortzTax designed solely to sell books.

There is no such thing as a Boortz tax! But you knew that already!

The Marxist income tax NEEDS to go!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 05:55:09 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

Bigun is a FairTax true believer and has been for a long while.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
There is no such thing as a Boortz tax! But you knew that already!

The Marxist income tax NEEDS to go!

Neal Boortz's national sales tax, you know which one I am talking about. The one in the book he's been selling for decades.