Author Topic: Government-Funded Science Journal Admits Over 2,600 of its Papers May Have ‘Exaggerated Claims’  (Read 871 times)

Offline Kamaji

Government-Funded Science Journal Admits Over 2,600 of its Papers May Have ‘Exaggerated Claims’

By Eric Lendrum
August 23, 2023

A top science journal that receives funding from the federal government was recently forced to admit that well over 2,000 of the research papers it has published contain “exaggerated claims.”

As Just The News reports, over 2,600 papers from the American Association for the Advancement of Science’s (AAAS) peer-reviewed journal Science were closely scrutinized by rival research journal Scientometrics. In the subsequent study, it was determined that, from 1997 to 2021, the journal saw a 40% drop in the use of “hedging” words.

In scientific research and other forms of academic writing, “hedging” words refers to terms and phrases such as “could” or “appear to,” in order to provide some room for doubt rather than depict absolute confidence. In 1997, there were roughly 115.8 examples of hedging for every 10,000 words. However, by 2021, that rate had fallen to just 67.42 per every 10,000.

Responding to the criticism, the news division of Science acknowledged that this new research “suggests a worrisome rise of unreliable, exaggerated claims.”

“Less hedging may reflect a subtle strategy by authors to sell their results to editors and readers as an alternative to explicit exaggeration,” Scientonomics continued in their report.

Most recently, AAAS published numerous works that were overwhelmingly skeptical of theories claiming that the COVID-19 pandemic originated from the Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV) in China, going so far as label the suggestion “a conspiracy theory.”

Source:  https://amgreatness.com/2023/08/23/government-funded-science-journal-admits-over-2600-of-its-papers-may-have-exaggerated-claims/

Online mountaineer

A top science journal that receives funding from the federal government ...
Is this really necessary?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
That is a VERY big "Admit".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
2,600 bogus "papers" ??

It's probably double or triple that number !

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
A top science journal that receives funding from the federal government...

Problem identified! Next!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
One of those little articles that comes out, is read, and is filed away without much fanfare.

But think about this for a minute. Basically a lot we know, or rather think we know - is pure BS. Our understanding of reality is highly skewed ato the point of delusional fairy tales in some situations.

No I don't think it's accidental and yes it has big implications on our society.
The Republic is lost.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
One of those little articles that comes out, is read, and is filed away without much fanfare.

But think about this for a minute. Basically a lot we know, or rather think we know - is pure BS. Our understanding of reality is highly skewed ato the point of delusional fairy tales in some situations.

No I don't think it's accidental and yes it has big implications on our society.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

The problem is that virtually every scientific publication has some stack of prior studies it is built on, and, unless those studies' conclusions are verified, quoting those studies might only be stacking a house of cards. Once a flawed conclusion gets into the mix, it can snowball through subsequent studies, basing conclusions on the conclusions of the flawed study.

Pretty soon, like Anthropogenic Global Warming/Climate Change, the error is endemic, not just in the journals but right down to kid cartoons.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

If mainland USA lost all electricity...it would be "MAD MAX - THUNDERDOME" in less than six months.

Make the Donner Pass look like a quick roadside snack.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald