Author Topic: Nikki Haley warns rivals about odds of federal abortion ban  (Read 385 times)

Offline Kamaji

Nikki Haley warns rivals about odds of federal abortion ban
« on: August 24, 2023, 11:09:22 am »
Nikki Haley warns rivals about odds of federal abortion ban as candidates give their stance during Republican debate

By Josh Christenson, Ryan King and Victor Nava
August 23, 2023

Former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley called herself “unapologetically pro-life,” but argued that the GOP should be “honest with the American people” about the realities of implementing a federal abortion ban during Wednesday’s Republican primary debate.

“It will take 60 Senate votes, it will take a majority of the House,” she said, suggesting it will be difficult, if not impossible, to pass such restrictions before arguing for finding areas of “consensus.”

“Can’t we all agree that we should ban late-term abortions?” she asked. “Can’t we all agree that we should encourage adoptions? Can’t we all agree that doctors and nurses who don’t believe in abortion shouldn’t have to perform them? Can’t we all agree that contraception should be available? And can’t we all agree that we are not going to put a woman in jail or give her the death penalty if she gets an abortion?”

Former VP Mike Pence, a staunch evangelical Christian, took issue with Haley’s lukewarm statement on the issue.

“To be honest with you, Nikki, you’re my friend, but consensus is the opposite of leadership,” said Pence, who has said a ban on abortion after 15 weeks of pregnancy should be the “minimum nationwide standard.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/23/nikki-haley-warns-rivals-over-odds-of-federal-abortion-ban/

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Nikki Haley warns rivals about odds of federal abortion ban
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 11:27:44 am »
State issue, guys. Always has been.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 11:50:21 am »
More than a state issue, it’s a heart issue. Women want to kill their babies.
I know of a local high school teacher who proudly declared (to my daughter) that she has taken the morning-after pill three times. That’s a sinful, wretched heart issue. I don’t know how the federal government can change that.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 11:52:17 am »
More than a state issue, it’s a heart issue. Women want to kill their babies.
I know of a local high school teacher who proudly declared (to my daughter) that she has taken the morning-after pill three times. That’s a sinful, wretched heart issue. I don’t know how the federal government can change that.

Thinking the government can change people's hearts, sounds like liberalism to me.  :shrug:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2023, 11:55:40 am »
I thought the Supreme Court made that clear. What I want to hear from a presidential candidate is 1) It's a state issue, but I urge every state legislature to ban elective abortions, and 2) no federal funds, i.e., taxpayer dollars, will pay for elective abortions.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2023, 11:56:57 am »
Thinking the government can change people's hearts, sounds like liberalism to me.  :shrug:

It sure does.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online LMAO

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2023, 12:31:44 pm »

And that’s the only answer they need to give.

But she is right on this.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2023, 10:57:22 pm »
The abortion issue is rapidly becoming a millstone around the neck of Republicans, with the exception of a few southern states.

One can be morally in the right... and still lose.

That's the long and the short of it.
Or, as a wise lady once said:
"We can evade reality. What we cannot evade are the consequences of evading reality"...

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2023, 02:24:11 am »
Nikki not only handled the argument wisely she was 100% right. Republicans just don't have the votes to pass a National Law banning abortion.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn