Author Topic: Best, worst states to drive in revealed in new study  (Read 843 times)

Online Kamaji

Best, worst states to drive in revealed in new study
« on: August 24, 2023, 10:57:20 am »
Best, worst states to drive in revealed in new study

By Emily Lefroy
August 23, 2023

Stick to the boardwalk.

New Jersey is the worst state to drive in, as it has the highest road congestion nationwide and the second-worst road quality, a new study by MoneyGeek finds.

Researchers considered traffic, transportation costs, safety, road infrastructure and weather in its rankings, released last month.

New York fared slightly better than the Garden State, earning the title of the 16th worst state to drive in. 

Nebraska was named the best state, thanks to the lowest vehicle-related costs nationwide and its infrastructure quality.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/23/best-worst-states-to-drive-in-revealed-in-new-study/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Best, worst states to drive in revealed in new study
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 09:48:45 pm »
Top 10 best states to drive in
Nebraska
North Dakota
Minnesota
Iowa
Kansas
Idaho
South Dakota
Alaska
New Hampshire
Wisconsin

Top 10 worst states to drive in
New Jersey
California
West Virginia
Missisippi
Maryland
Florida
Hawaii
Delaware
Louisiana
Rhode Island

Online Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 09:54:09 pm »
I used to love driving, but I've been in the Northeast for 20+ years now, and it is the rare instance that I actually enjoy driving anymore, except when it's on a long trip out of the Northeast.

Too many shitty roads and too many shitty drivers will do that to you.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 10:45:40 pm »
Kamaji:
"and it is the rare instance that I actually enjoy driving anymore, except when it's on a long trip out of the Northeast."

Well, heck.
You're on Long Island.

Get above Patterson on Route 22, and things are just beautiful.
And stay that way, pretty much all the way up to the Canadian border.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2023, 02:13:12 am »
I guess the raters didn't actually try driving in all 50 states.  If they'd driven I-80 from the Iowa border to Lincoln, there's no way Nebraska would have rated #1.  Drivers in Omaha drive like New Yorkers, and there are too many 18-wheelers on that stretch of the interstate.

I lived in Omaha for a year during my wife's psychology internship. Was glad to move back to Kansas, in part because I hated driving in Omaha and environs.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2023, 03:00:14 am »
Not fair.  North Dakota has like two roads in the entire State.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2023, 03:05:41 am »
Not fair.  North Dakota has like two roads in the entire State.
Zoom in. Two interstates.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2023, 03:07:56 am »
OK.  Four roads.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2023, 10:26:30 am »
OK.  Four roads.
https://travel.dot.nd.gov/

Gee, I lost count at twenty-one...Maths is hard.

But those are just the paved roads. We have a LOT more gravel/dirt roads.
(178,845 miles of road, at last count, which puts us 23rd in the country for miles of road, as States go). source https://blog.cubitplanning.com/2010/02/road-miles-by-state/

Bet whoever drove them didn't do so in winter,  and we put the interstates where it was easiest to build them--where it's really flat.

Not so much in places like this:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 10:32:32 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2023, 12:47:44 pm »
Researchers looked at five factors:
  • Cost: Gas prices per gallon, annual car maintenance costs and annual toll expenses per vehicle comprise this category, as well as average annual premiums from the cheapest full coverage auto insurance options available in each state.
  • Congestion: Factors include average morning commute times and vehicle miles traveled per lane mile, which measures how many vehicles are using a particular length of road over a certain period of time.
  • Safety: MoneyGeek analyzed fatal crashes per 100,000 people and car thefts per 100,000 vehicles.
  • Infrastructure: This category considers the percentage of roads and bridges that are in acceptable condition in each state.
  • Weather: MoneyGeek analyzed fatal car crashes per 100,000 people in snowy and rainy conditions.

I'm not sure about this criteria. Where is the data on what percent of drivers cut you off, weave in and out of traffic, ride your bumper, slam on their brakes at the very last minute, etc.??   :police:

A high rate of car theft may have relevance on a 'best/worst place to live' evaluation, but doesn't really speak to driving.[/list]
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Kamaji

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2023, 12:52:22 pm »
    I'm not sure about this criteria. Where is the data on what percent of drivers cut you off, weave in and out of traffic, ride your bumper, slam on their brakes at the very last minute, etc.??   :police:

A high rate of car theft may have relevance on a 'best/worst place to live' evaluation, but doesn't really speak to driving.[/list]

Congestion and safety probably act as proxies for those sorts of behaviours, because both of those things tend to be aggravated by that sort of driving.