Author Topic: Groups allege mistreatment, rights abuses at migrant facility  (Read 169 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Groups allege mistreatment, rights abuses at migrant facility
« on: August 24, 2023, 10:55:25 am »
Groups allege mistreatment, rights abuses at migrant facility
The Torrance County Detention Facility is shown on Thursday, Sept. 29, 2022, in Estancia, N.M.

ACLU and others want feds to improve case review process; contractor calls accusations of neglect 'inaccurate and misleading'

by: Julian Resendiz

Posted: Aug 23, 2023 / 12:53 PM CDT

Updated: Aug 23, 2023 / 04:05 PM CDT

EL PASO, Texas (Border Report) – The American Civil Liberties Union and three other groups have sent the federal government a 186-page letter alleging mistreatment and due process violations against migrants at the Torrance County Detention Facility in Estancia, New Mexico.

The complaint to the Department of Homeland Security alleges “systemic due process violations” in credible fear interviews used to determine if a non-citizen in federal immigration custody should be deported. Alleged violations include interference with access to legal counsel, failure to deliver documents, and an inadequate review of status determination.

The complaint also calls for an immediate DHS investigation of alleged ongoing mistreatment, retaliation, and improper medical care. The letter singles out U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and detention center contractor CoreCivic.

https://www.borderreport.com/regions/new-mexico/groups-allege-mistreatment-rights-abuses-at-migrant-facility/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: Groups allege mistreatment, rights abuses at migrant facility
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 10:57:47 am »
Boo, hoo, hoo.  If they don't like it, they can go the f**k home.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Groups allege mistreatment, rights abuses at migrant facility
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 10:57:49 am »
Why would they not claim mistreatment and rights abuses?  It's the surest method, tried and true, to get the American political system to fall to its knees and give them everything they want. :tongue2:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson