Author Topic: Breaking: South Carolina Supreme Court Backs Six-Week Abortion Ban  (Read 532 times)

Offline Kamaji

Breaking:  South Carolina Supreme Court Backs Six-Week Abortion Ban

By Neil W. McCabe
August 23, 2023

South Carolina’s Supreme Court ruled today that the state's ban on abortions after six weeks did not violate the Palmetto State's constitution, voting 4-1 to uphold the ban in the suit brought by Planned Parenthood South Atlantic against the law passed May 23 in a special session called by Republican Gov. Henry McMaster.

"The Supreme Court's ruling marks a historic moment in our state's history and is the culmination of years of hard work and determination by so many in our state to ensure that the sanctity of life is protected," said McMaster, who was the state’s lieutenant governor in 2017 when President Donald J. Trump named then-governor Nikki Haley his ambassador to the United Nations.

“With this victory, we protect the lives of countless unborn children and reaffirm South Carolina's place as one of the most pro-life states in America,” he said.

South Carolina Justice John Kittredge, writing for the majority, spoke about the court's need to honor the legislature's intent.

“The legislature has found that the State has a compelling interest in protecting the lives of unborn children. That finding is indisputable and one we must respect,” Kittredge said.

The jurist said for the state's judiciary to weigh in on protecting life against the will of the state's lawmakers would be extraordinary. "It would be a rogue imposition of will by the judiciary for us to say that the legislature’s determination is unreasonable as a matter of law.”

Marjorie Dannenfelser, the president of Susan. B. Anthony Pro-Life America, said, “Life is winning in the Palmetto State and in hearts and minds nationwide.”

Dannenfelser said the decision was also a victory for the democratic process in South Carolina.

Source:  https://redstate.com/mccabe/2023/08/23/breaking-south-carolina-supreme-court-backs-six-week-abortion-ban-n2162956

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Breaking: South Carolina Supreme Court Backs Six-Week Abortion Ban
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2023, 08:08:00 pm »
Good.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Breaking: South Carolina Supreme Court Backs Six-Week Abortion Ban
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 11:24:04 pm »
I am all for this,providing that women who are in danger of dying if they carry to term are still allowed an abortion.

I am dead set against "convenience abortions",but everybody has a right to self-defense,including pregnant women.

Granted,the cases where this is a genuine issue are VERY rare,but they still exist.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!