Author Topic: CJR Smears Cowboy State Daily As ‘Dehumanizing’ For Accurate Pronoun Use  (Read 528 times)

Online Kamaji

Columbia Journalism Review Smears Cowboy State Daily As ‘Dehumanizing’ For Accurate Pronoun Use

BY: TRISTAN JUSTICE
AUGUST 22, 2023

Refusal to follow the corporate media’s bow to transgenderism has earned the Cowboy State Daily a 2,600-word reprimand by the Columbia Journalism Review (CJR).

Last week, the bi-annual publication sponsored by Columbia University published an article that vilified one of Wyoming’s largest publications, the Cowboy State Daily, as an engine of right-wing propaganda. The State Daily’s crime? The website’s use of biological pronouns contradictory to the far-left’s orthodoxy on transgender coverage, which, according to the university paper, is an exercise in “dehumanizing” discrimination.

CJR relied on claims from far-left activists to make the defamatory accusations.

“Cowboy State Daily has been criticized by LGBTQ rights organization Wyoming Equality for deadnaming and using phrases like ‘biological males/females’ to refer to trans people,” CJR reported. “One Cowboy State Daily columnist wrote they ‘draw the line’ when someone “born with male genitalia and a masculine endocrine system tries to impose himself in a women’s [sic] world.”

CJR continued.

Our analysis also found numerous instances where Cowboy State Daily reporting on trans communities used tropes the Trans Journalists Association’s style guide says perpetuate “harmful cliches and stereotypes.” These included “groom” (seventeen articles), “detransition” (seven), and “biological male/female” (forty).

The university publication went on to blame an episode of domestic terrorism on the State Daily’s reporting on transgender issues. Sara Burlingame, the executive director of Wyoming Equality and former Democratic state lawmaker, reportedly contacted the state paper to discuss the outlet’s coverage of transgenderism.

Source:  https://thefederalist.com/2023/08/22/columbia-journalism-review-smears-cowboy-state-daily-as-dehumanizing-for-accurate-pronoun-use/

Online Kamaji

Sounds like a really good reason to subscribe to CSD!

Offline the OlLine Rebel

What’s harmful is these bastards and their enabling roll-over of thousands of years of common-sense undeniable science.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline mountaineer

Could be worse. Just take a look at Australia:

Kirralie Smith
@KirralieS
Starting next week, I have four court appearances in a short space of time for "misgendering" males in female sport & identifying them on social media.  ...

https://twitter.com/KirralieS/status/1693750623018287543

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Kamaji

Could be worse. Just take a look at Australia:

Kirralie Smith
@KirralieS
Starting next week, I have four court appearances in a short space of time for "misgendering" males in female sport & identifying them on social media.  ...

https://twitter.com/KirralieS/status/1693750623018287543

Yeah.  In many respects I very much like Australia and Australians, but they have been going hard-core left-fascist recently, and it's dispiriting.  I do not think I would move there any more if I suddenly acquired the wherewithal to live where I wished.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Who gives a damn about the Columbia Journalism Review?  Just more lining for bird cages and wrapping for fish.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline mountaineer

When I became a newspaper reporter in 1998, my editor told me the AP Style Guide would be the "bible" for punctuation and various word usages. Now it's gone woke, too. When writing about a person's race, I understand, the reporter has to capitalize "Black," but not "white."

I don't know what it now says about pronouns for the mentally disturbed, a/k/a transgenders.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline PeteS in CA

Has Cowboy State Daily told CJR to F-Off? That would be the most appropriate response.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.