Author Topic: Excluding Farmer's Market Vendor for Refusing to Host Same-Sex Weddings on Its Land Violates Free Ex  (Read 630 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

Excluding Farmer's Market Vendor for Refusing to Host Same-Sex Weddings on Its Land Violates Free Exercise Clause

https://reason.com/volokh/2023/08/21/excluding-farmers-market-vendor-for-refusing-to-host-same-sex-weddings-on-its-land-violates-free-exercise-clause/

From Country Mill Farms, LLC. V. City of East Lansing, decided today by Judge Paul Maloney (W.D. Mich.):

The City of East Lansing requires vendors for its Farmer's Market to comply with the City's public policy against discrimination. Country Mill Farms offers to rent a portion of its property [which is not connected with the Farmer's Market] for weddings. Country Mill Farms, however, will not rent the property for same-sex weddings. Because of this general business practice, the City denied Country Mills Farm's vendor application for the 2017 East Lansing Farmers Market. Country Mill Farms and its owner, Stephen Tennes, sued….
Defendant relied in the revised 2017 vendor guidelines to deny CMF's application to participate in the ELFM. The stated reason for the denial was the Plaintiffs' decision not to rent the venue for same-sex weddings. Plaintiffs' decision was motivated by religious beliefs. Plaintiffs were forced to choose between their religious beliefs and a government benefit for which CMF was eligible….
A law also lacks general applicability if it prohibits religious conduct while permitting secular conduct that undermines the government's asserted interests in a similar way." Fulton. Under the Free Exercise Clause, the government "cannot in a selective manner impose burdens only on conduct motivated by religious belief" while failing "to prohibit nonreligious conduct" that undermines the interests protected by the law. …
A law burdening religious practice that is not neutral or not of general applicability" is subject to strict scrutiny review … [i.e.,] "must be justified by a compelling governmental interest and must be narrowly tailored to advance that interest." … To meet the strict scrutiny analysis, the government cannot rely on the general interest advanced through enforcement of the law; rather, the government must show its compelling interest in the denial of the exception….

It took 5 or 6 years to try this case and get a district court decision?! Will the owners of Country Mill Farms still be alive when the State of Michigan loses or gives up on appealing this decision?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online the OlLine Rebel

I’m tired of “religious beliefs” being the crux of the argument.

It should be freedom of association.

ANYONE for any reason should be able to associate with those they wish - and that includes business because business IS people.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I’m tired of “religious beliefs” being the crux of the argument.

It should be freedom of association.

ANYONE for any reason should be able to associate with those they wish - and that includes business because business IS people.

The ability to discriminate is essential to survival!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
"We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service"

Used to see those signs all over.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Bigun notes:
"The ability to discriminate is essential to survival!"

The 14th amendment did that in.
Perhaps the worst amendment of them all.

Repeal EVERYTHING after the 12th (and I DO mean "everything").