Author Topic: Astronomers hopeful of receiving an alien reply today after beaming message out into space  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Kamaji

Astronomers hopeful of receiving an alien reply today after beaming message out into space 40 years ago

By Richard Pollina
August 22, 2023

Astronomers are anxiously waiting to see if today will be the day humanity finds out if we have any intelligent neighbors in the cosmos — four decades after sending a message out into the universe.

The message contained 13 drawings depicting the history of life on Earth through the stages of evolution.

It was then transcribed into radio waves and beamed out into space by astronomers at Stanford University on Aug. 15, 1983, with the intention of making contact with intelligent alien life in the future.

Today, scientists in Japan will start scanning the sky for a reply, according to the Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun.

Altair — the 12th brightest star in the night sky, found in the Aquila constellation 16.7 light-years away from our pale blue dot — could be the first area of the observable universe to send back a responding message as early as 9 a.m. (EST) today, the outlet reported.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/22/astronomers-hopeful-of-receiving-an-alien-reply-today-after-beaming-message-out-into-space-40-years-ago/

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
I guess they never saw Independence Day.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Kamaji

I guess they never saw Independence Day.

Well, they did send the original signal out back in 1983.

Offline Timber Rattler

aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

Offline Kamaji

Offline Timber Rattler

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I always liked the "Alien Nation" tv show.
Cancelled way too soon.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Polly Ticks

The aliens replied!!!! Huge!!! OMG!!!

:beer:

DRINK MORE OVALTINE
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Klaatu Barada Nikto!
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Mork from. Ork. Nannu Nannu
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

E.T. phone home.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
"Hopeful"?

Really?

How many wore Depends  to work today?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

I always liked the "Alien Nation" tv show.
Cancelled way too soon.

There was an episode where one of their overlords tried sending a message beacon into space:

"The cargo manifest of 250,000 slaves has been recovered.  Plus six billion more."
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-