Author Topic: Workers now demanding nearly $80K to start new job  (Read 547 times)

Online Kamaji

Workers now demanding nearly $80K to start new job
« on: August 22, 2023, 11:22:38 am »
Workers now demanding nearly $80K to start new job

By Megan Henney, Fox Business
August 22, 2023

The lowest wage that American workers are willing to take in order to accept a new job hit a record high this year, according to a Federal Reserve Bank of New York survey published Monday.

The average “reservation wage” – or the minimum acceptable salary offer required for workers to switch jobs – hit $78,645 during the second quarter of 2023, according to the Fed’s latest survey of consumer expectations.

That marks a nearly 8% increase from the same time last year when the average reservation wage hovered around $72,873.

The year-over-year increase was most pronounced for workers over the age of 45.

Workers with a college degree now expect a $98,600 annual salary in order to take a new job while those without one indicated they would not accept a salary below $63,300.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/22/workers-now-demanding-nearly-80k-to-start-new-job/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Workers now demanding nearly $80K to start new job
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2023, 06:11:43 am »
What planet is this on?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2023, 01:58:14 pm »
Wage demands hit record high: Average job seeker wants at least $78k
Ivana Saric

Average lowest wage people say they would accept for a new job

Monthly surveys of approximately 1,000 U.S. household heads; March 2014 to July 2023

U.S. workers on the job hunt currently harbor record-high wage expectations, with men expecting significantly more money from job offers than women, according to a new Federal Reserve Bank of New York survey.

Why it matters: The ultra-tight labor market during the pandemic was a boon for wages and worker power. While the gradual loosening of the labor market threatens to erode some of those gains, the survey results indicate workers are feeling confident about asking potential new employers for more money.

By the numbers: The average reservation wage of U.S. jobs seekers — the lowest annual pay workers would accept for a new job — climbed to a record high of $78,645 in July, up from $72,873 at the same time last year, according to the survey.

Yet the average full-time wage offer received in the past four months was $69,475, itself a marked increase from $60,764 last July.
    According to the survey, the average annual wage for full-time workers in July was more than $79,000, compared to nearly $76,000 in July 2022.

more
https://www.axios.com/2023/08/22/salary-expectations-wages-rising-american-pay

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 02:01:57 pm »
I'm gonna need to start looking again, my yearly 3% raises ain't cutting it. I used to think i was high(er) paid...