Author Topic: Hundreds protest potential new migrant site at former NYC senior citizen home  (Read 440 times)

Offline Kamaji

Hundreds protest potential new migrant site at former NYC senior citizen home

By Jared Downing and
Jorge Fitz-Gibbon   
August 20, 2023

More than 200 raucous demonstrators rallied outside a former Staten Island nursing home Sunday, chanting, “Close the border!” to protest its possible conversion to an emergency shelter for migrants.

“Don’t call them immigrants. Call them ‘illegals,’ ” Ray Thaisz, 66, said outside the currently shuttered former Island Shores Senior Residences in Midland Beach. “I don’t mind people coming here, but they’re coming here illegally, and then we have to support them.”

Another local, retired nurse Claire O’Toole, said she just didn’t want the asylum seekers housed in her neighborhood.

“I have four grandchildren,” said O’Toole, 64. “I don’t want this by my house. Why would I want that worry? They want to put 800 men here, but we have no idea who they are, period. Are they rapists? Are they murderers? Are they vaccinated? Do they speak English?”

Guardian Angels founder and former failed mayoral candidate Curtis Sliwa organized the protest and was among about a dozen demonstrators later arrested by cops for blocking traffic.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/20/hundreds-protest-potential-new-migrant-site-at-former-nyc-senior-citizen-home/

Offline Hoodat

Suck it up, New Yorkers.  This is what you voted for.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Maybe they can kill them with COVID, like so many in New York care homes.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Hoodat taunts:
"Suck it up, New Yorkers.  This is what you voted for."

Not on Staten Island. Folks there tend to vote Republican.
(as amazing as it sounds for NYC)