Author Topic: China’s Automakers to Skirt Tariffs, Fill U.S. Market with Electric Vehicles  (Read 876 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
China’s Automakers to Skirt Tariffs, Fill U.S. Market with Electric Vehicles

John Binder 18 Aug 2023

Some of China’s biggest automakers are looking to skirt United States tariffs and flood the nation’s auto market with cheap Electric Vehicles (EVs) — a move that would further crush American auto workers and the domestic plants where they work.

According to Automotive News, Chinese-owned Volvo Cars is hoping to use the little-known Duty Drawback Program to “recoup import duties and the 25 percent U.S. tariff assessed on the Chinese-made Volvo EX30 crossover and Polestar 2 sedan against exports of the U.S.-made Volvo EX90 and Polestar 3 crossovers.”

General Motors (GM) has been using the Duty Drawback Program for years to mitigate United States tariffs on its Chinese-made Buick Envision Crossover.

Dr. Kent Kaiser, executive director of Trade Alliance to Promote Prosperity, detailed to Breitbart News how many Chinese companies already circumvent United States tariffs and thus dump highly-subsidized cheap products in the market.

“Our research indicates that Sunsong and other Chinese firms employ fraudulent transshipping to obscure the origin of their auto-part products and skirt U.S. tariffs,” Kaiser said. “This practice floods the U.S market with Chinese Communist Party-subsidized goods that disadvantage American manufacturers and bolster a company integral to China’s economic expansion.”

“Amid China’s growing global aggression, preserving tariff integrity is imperative,” Kaiser said. “Ensuring vigilant oversight and enforcement … is essential to protect Americans. Federal agencies have acted on such cases before, but more must be done to ensure violators of U.S law face consequences.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/08/18/chinas-automakers-skirt-tariffs-fill-u-s-market-electric-vehicles/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Adding Volvo to my list of banned automakers. GM has been there for years.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DefiantMassRINO

The Chi-coms own Volvo?

When will Western nations wake up to the fact that is the policy of Chinese Communist Party to use unfair trade practices to put Western manufacturers out of business.?

The strategy of the Chinese Communist Party is to use unfair trade practices to decimate the industrial and manufacturing sectors that are criticial to the defense sector of Western nations.

The Chinese Communist Party knows that it was America's ability to scale up its industrial and manufacturing sectors that allowed it to win WWI and WWII.  By decimating the Western nations' defense sectors, it will render those nations unable to militarily intervene or resist Chi-com military and territorial aggression.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Kamaji

Oh goodie!  More poorly-made Chinese junk.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Oh goodie!  More poorly-made Chinese junk.
But hey, they Blow up good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOA7qKMcjcE

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
They can't sell them there. (no one is buying)
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
The Chi-coms own Volvo?

When will Western nations wake up to the fact that is the policy of Chinese Communist Party to use unfair trade practices to put Western manufacturers out of business.?

The strategy of the Chinese Communist Party is to use unfair trade practices to decimate the industrial and manufacturing sectors that are criticial to the defense sector of Western nations.

The Chinese Communist Party knows that it was America's ability to scale up its industrial and manufacturing sectors that allowed it to win WWI and WWII.  By decimating the Western nations' defense sectors, it will render those nations unable to militarily intervene or resist Chi-com military and territorial aggression.

I've owned two fine cars in my life both of which were actually made in Sweden. A Volvo 240 in the late 1970s and a 1986 Saab. GM now owns Saab and CHICOMS own Volvo. Makes me sick!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The Chi-coms own Volvo?

Well, it isn't just the Chinese.

We have plenty of self-imposed restrictions that kill industry, right here in the good ol' USA. American Made restrictions, edicts, regulations, all crafted with Pride right there in Washington, D.C. and environs.

The Chinese have a lock on most of the rare earths production in the world.
Most of our semiconductors come from Taiwan, the first thing the Chinese will go for.
We'd best better find some lower tech solutions to high tech problems, because when the stockpiles run out in a war, saying we'd be at a disadvantage is an understatement.

In the meantime the Arsenal of Democracy is busy decommissioning ships that were taken to production before proof of concept.

In the meantime, another millions of acres area has been artificially restricted from exploration for and development of our own natural resources, to the detriment of the folks who live there. It's almost as if those are being set aside for someone else to develop.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Well, it isn't just the Chinese.

We have plenty of self-imposed restrictions that kill industry, right here in the good ol' USA. American Made restrictions, edicts, regulations, all crafted with Pride right there in Washington, D.C. and environs.

:yowsa: And chief among them is the Corporate Income Tax which puts everything produced in this country at a competitive disadvantage internationally before any of it ever reaches a border!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Kamaji

:yowsa: And chief among them is the Corporate Income Tax which puts everything produced in this country at a competitive disadvantage internationally before any of it ever reaches a border!

Bullshit.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Bullshit.

How do U.S. goods incur federal taxes today, while imported goods do not?

Let’s buy a bottle of California wine. Or a Boeing 787. Or some Kansas wheat. Or a Caterpillar D11T dozer. Or some consulting services from PricewaterhouseCoopers.

While your invoice will not show it, included in the cost you’ll pay is your share of each provider’s corporate income taxes. And you’ll pay for the tax department, accounting firms, and law firms that figure those taxes, and defend IRS audits or lobby tax-law loopholes.

While the taxes themselves can go below zero in a bad year, those compliance costs just keep on adding up. And then there is the matching of each employee’s Social Security contribution (payroll taxes).

In the price you pay are all three costs (taxes/compliance/matching) for the company that provides the glass bottles containing the wine. And the cork provider. And the label printer. And the label ink supplier. And the label glue manufacturer. And the tires on the 737. And the fertilizer for the wheat. And the paint on the dozer. And the iPhones and iPads carried by your Price Waterhouse Coopers consultants.

Whether these products and services are provided here in the U.S. or exported, the purchaser is going to pay all these costs, along with the actual cost of the product, its marketing, and delivery.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 10:56:24 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
They can't sell them there. (no one is buying)

@bigheadfred

Not to mention that no one has  the money,and even if you DO have the money,you  have to have permission from the government to buy a car.

What part of "China is a Communist Police State" is it that so many US citizens have so much  trouble understanding?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The Corporate Income tax, and ALL compliance costs associated with it, is a cascading VAT that is not border adjustable. YOU are FOS and you know it!
Well, to be fair, you left out crippling environmental regulations aimed at the destruction of entire industries, Federal designations under the endangered Species Act, a plethora of Wilderness and Monument designations which have removed millions upon millions of acres of land from productivity, regardless of the resources they contain, dog-in-the-manger management of mineral leases on other federal lands, and the use of regulations and even Executive Orders to stop infrastructure and other development. The government even uses the courts to fund leftist extremist groups through being sued and settling.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 11:30:28 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Well, to be fair, you left out crippling environmental regulations aimed at the destruction of entire industries, Federal designations under the endangered Species Act, a plethora of Wilderness and Monument designations which have removed millions upon millions of acres of land from productivity, regardless of the resources they contain, dog-in-the-manger management of mineral leases on other federal lands, and the use of regulations and even Executive Orders to stop infrastructure and other development. The government even uses the courts to fund leftist extremist groups through being sued and settling.

:yowsa: You are correct. I'm not unaware of any of that but failed to include it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 11:37:00 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien