Poll

How long have you been on TBR?

From the Beginning ~ 2009
7 (17.5%)
2010~2014 (First of many purges from TOS)
7 (17.5%)
2015~2016 (Cruz Purge from TOS)
17 (42.5%)
2017~2020 (Shiny Happy People)
2 (5%)
2021~2023  (Newbie but we love ya)
2 (5%)
Where is here (Stoner Option)
5 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: How long have you been on TBR?  (Read 15387 times)

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: How long have you been on TBR?
« Reply #125 on: August 25, 2023, 01:33:02 am »
Wingnut (or WineNot as he was known for a time) and the long-departed @Chieftain made this forum interesting in the early years.

(Some of you may notice that I didn't register an account here until a few years after it started... as I noted, I was on the predecessor board, but when the schism happened—'09 or '10?—I decided to take a long break from political forums for a while. I eventually accepted myst's longstanding invitation to join.)

Tracey... yeah, I remember that schism, too. Hardcore Trumper, and when a lot of refugees who were not so much... she couldn't really handle it, started saying some things that stood against what she and Myst have said this site was supposed to represent, and disappeared. We still have a few '16 Trumpers here and there—ironically, most of the more hardcore anti-Trumpers have since quit, including some that were cornerstones of this site for a while. I wonder whatever happened to her...

I joined the Mods before Tracy left and I remember the blow up.  In fact, naming me as a Mod was one of her last acts. The criteria was I be neither ever- or never-Trump.  I was more interested in making sure TBR was neither, I was .more interested in building on trying to create open and free discussion.

I remain so, neither, and I am only interested in keeping TBR free and open to all.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2023, 02:22:04 am »
omg  :silly:
Sink was/is a deacon. Our Catholic brethren here will have to explain what that is, because it's different from my denomination.

A Deacon? He was a Deacon?

Those are the guys allowed to get laid in the Catholic Church, and he still couldn’t do it?

That’s awful.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline DB

« Reply #127 on: August 25, 2023, 02:48:21 am »
I joined the Mods before Tracy left and I remember the blow up.  In fact, naming me as a Mod was one of her last acts. The criteria was I be neither ever- or never-Trump.  I was more interested in making sure TBR was neither, I was .more interested in building on trying to create open and free discussion.

I remain so, neither, and I am only interested in keeping TBR free and open to all.

Did Tracy go by another name here? I'm wondering if she was the one who invited me.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2023, 02:53:31 am »
Did Tracy go by another name here? I'm wondering if she was the one who invited me.

R4 TrumPence
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DB

« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2023, 02:54:53 am »
R4 TrumPence

Thank you. I remember her. I don't believe that was the person who invited me.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2023, 02:14:05 pm »
Thank you. I remember her. I don't believe that was the person who invited me.

Does @alicewonders ring a bell @DB
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DB

« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2023, 02:18:59 pm »
Does @alicewonders ring a bell @DB

I don't believe so. The invite was through TOS mail and it would have been her membership name there. I deleted it after receiving it so there was no record of it for anyone there to use.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2023, 02:28:02 pm »
I don't believe so. The invite was through TOS mail and it would have been her membership name there. I deleted it after receiving it so there was no record of it for anyone there to use.

There are several others here at the time who have since moved on. Can't pull their screen names out at present.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DB

« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2023, 02:29:12 pm »
There are several others here at the time who have since moved on. Can't pull their screen names out at present.

I thought it was someone who left not long after I arrived.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2023, 02:35:57 pm »
I thought it was someone who left not long after I arrived.

Peach? Rapunzel?
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline DB

« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2023, 02:38:42 pm »
Peach? Rapunzel?

I could be wrong but it seemed like it was two words.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #136 on: August 25, 2023, 02:39:56 pm »
Peach? Rapunzel?

Rapunzel is the one I was trying to pull out @Lando Lincoln I don't think that was her handle at TOS IIRC.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #137 on: August 25, 2023, 04:04:04 pm »
I could be wrong but it seemed like it was two words.

Maybe it was don-o, at the same time as me... I very vaguely remember you and I having a conversation about being done... And it was don-o that brung me.

Offline DB

« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2023, 05:24:35 pm »
Maybe it was don-o, at the same time as me... I very vaguely remember you and I having a conversation about being done... And it was don-o that brung me.

It wasn't don-o. But thanks anyway.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2023, 01:06:44 am »
Dang. Oh, well. How many of the top 10 are still here?

I think we made the Top Ten by a technicality. The first two members were for Admin. #9 was never assigned. So, you are shown as the true 8th member and I am #9 (despite having member #’s 11 and 12).  Other members in the Top Ten:
— myst
— R4 TrumpPence
— pookie18
— Peach (miss her)
— JulietteMerry
— zigzag
— treefaller

@massadvj
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 01:18:22 am by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #140 on: August 26, 2023, 01:58:42 am »
I've been here long enough to turn you over my knee and tell you to get off my lawn.  wink777

EC recruited me in '14. I know how just left one day over a disagreement, just disappeared. Hope he's ok, really liked the guy.

Free Republic deteriorated to the point by then I just couldn't take Jim and crew's punk a** swagger and mouth. I was a Congressional district co-chair and running big state Senate campaigns at the time, part of a big activist network trying to flip Iowa red with conservatives, hanging out in the circles with the big dogs and making things happen. Hardly anyone knew who he was or that FR even existed.

Jim seemed to think he owned Iowa and was going to coronate his candidate here. I reminded him that he was a little pissant punk who's influence here wasn't enough to make toilet paper that I could wipe my butt with.

Oh that made him mad. Went into total blowhard mode and tried to act like he was 10 feet tall. I pretty much chopped him up and spit him out. Got him good, he was still trying to d**k wave even after I was gone. It was hilarious.

If there was ever a guy who needed a punch in the teeth, it was Jim.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 02:00:53 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #141 on: August 26, 2023, 11:10:40 pm »
I think we made the Top Ten by a technicality. The first two members were for Admin. #9 was never assigned. So, you are shown as the true 8th member and I am #9 (despite having member #’s 11 and 12).  Other members in the Top Ten:
— myst
— R4 TrumpPence
— pookie18
— Peach (miss her)
— JulietteMerry
— zigzag
— treefaller

@massadvj

OK great!  Thanks!

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2023, 10:31:16 pm »
A Deacon? He was a Deacon?

No, He wasn't... there was a big stink about it at TOS when it was found out he wasn't what he claimed. I had a bookmark on the story somewhere but time has ate the website. It may be on the archive site.

Found what I could below....

https://web.archive.org/web/20061113201259/http://angelqueen.org/articles/05-06_sinkspur.shtml

@Luis Gonzalez @mountaineer
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 10:38:57 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2023, 12:10:04 am »
Wow. Like a time machine. I recognize the names but had no idea of all the drama happening in front of my face behind the screen in the background. Was too busy until recent years to get anywhere near deeply involved in any website. Was travelling extensively with only hit and miss access to the internet.

For me, it all about fun ... and admittedly lately, there is a feeling of remote affection, affiliation, and comradery. But no, I never took anything seriously enough to care, or to get mad, or to be upset.

TBR is a mental release for me. Really had no clue about all the histories and politics behind the scenes because, I just don't take it like that. Never have. This post holds lots of surprises for my naïve little brain. I really did not know any of this stuff was going on. Reading this, have to say, I am glad to be on the outside looking in.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #144 on: August 28, 2023, 12:31:18 am »
I'm almost always blissfully unaware of whatever drama is happening behind the scenes wherever I am, including internet forums.  :whistle:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

« Reply #145 on: August 28, 2023, 12:35:56 pm »
No, He wasn't... there was a big stink about it at TOS when it was found out he wasn't what he claimed. I had a bookmark on the story somewhere but time has ate the website. It may be on the archive site.
That's right. People called him "phony deacon."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #146 on: August 31, 2023, 06:56:00 pm »
libertybele...
The time will come I believe when technology will be completely shutdown; our grid will be nearly destroyed.  They won't know how to function - they won't be able to find a way to fix the problem. They don't have the knowledge. It is beyond sad, not to mention they have know inner feelings of loyalty to this country - they take this country for granted.
The time is coming, soon, when because of the above, it will not be hard to get rid of our population because they will have become literally worthless and of no value for anything.  It will be that rationale that the Gates of the world will use to eliminate the population in the US and most of the world to achieve their global reduction goals.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #147 on: September 01, 2023, 02:50:55 pm »
These doom and gloom predictions have been around forever... they never come true. We'll see I guess.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #148 on: September 19, 2023, 11:50:53 pm »
I've been here long enough to turn you over my knee and tell you to get off my lawn.  wink777

EC recruited me in '14. I know how just left one day over a disagreement, just disappeared. Hope he's ok, really liked the guy.

Free Republic deteriorated to the point by then I just couldn't take Jim and crew's punk a** swagger and mouth. I was a Congressional district co-chair and running big state Senate campaigns at the time, part of a big activist network trying to flip Iowa red with conservatives, hanging out in the circles with the big dogs and making things happen. Hardly anyone knew who he was or that FR even existed.

Jim seemed to think he owned Iowa and was going to coronate his candidate here. I reminded him that he was a little pissant punk who's influence here wasn't enough to make toilet paper that I could wipe my butt with.

Oh that made him mad. Went into total blowhard mode and tried to act like he was 10 feet tall. I pretty much chopped him up and spit him out. Got him good, he was still trying to d**k wave even after I was gone. It was hilarious.

If there was ever a guy who needed a punch in the teeth, it was Jim.

:beer:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2023, 12:43:12 am »

Does anyone know what ever happened to EC?   He was here and then he was gone.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.