Author Topic: Locking Up Stores' Merchandise Is Ruining One Writer's 'Happy Place'  (Read 222 times)

Offline Kamaji

Locking Up Stores' Merchandise Is Ruining One Writer's 'Happy Place'

By Jim Thompson
August 15, 2023

Stacy Torres has a long resume filled with everything but living. She teaches at UC San Francisco in the sociology department and is affiliated with another half dozen departments, including “The Institute for the Study of Societal Issues.” She often writes Op/Eds for “leading” publications about social issues. In May, she wrote about never having a smartphone or “used social media,” yet several paragraphs deeper, she writes about getting off Twitter and dealing with compulsive texting.

A few days ago, she penned another op/ed that suspended logic. Stacy, it seems, is bummed that her Bay Area grocery store is locking up items. Stacy is perplexed. Her “happy place” used to be her Safeway grocery store located in Rockridge, close to Oakland.

Stacy writes:

Some people seek a bar or nature hike when they feel low. I go to the supermarket.

My spirits lift as I stroll the aisles. I bop along to easy-listening music. Exchanging pleasantries with cashiers lessens my loneliness. I celebrate the small wins — I procured broccoli (OK, and ice cream) — and leave with renewed purpose.

As someone with depression, I find that brick-and-mortar businesses help me avoid isolation by providing a space to be alone with others. But my happy places — supermarkets and pharmacies — say they have seen increasing theft and violence.

Torres believes that retail stores, particularly her happy place, have an obligation to customers. They bear a social responsibility to entertain her while she shops for broccoli. Anti-theft measures are but a “band-aid” for what she sees as the real problem: “socioeconomic conditions such as inflation, poverty and opportunity deficits.”

She suggests “long-term investments in our social safety net, including restoring SNAP benefits slashed for millions in March, and ensuring access to high-quality education, job training and a living wage, will alleviate economic desperation.”

Source:  https://redstate.com/jimthompson/2023/08/15/locking-up-stores-merchandise-is-ruining-one-writers-happy-place-n2162670

Offline Kamaji

Re: Locking Up Stores' Merchandise Is Ruining One Writer's 'Happy Place'
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2023, 06:13:36 pm »
:facepalm2:

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2023, 08:04:09 pm »
1. The City Council "defunding" police and targeting police officers for being effective is having consequences.

2. Shopping in a grocery store is her "Happy Place"? Whether grocery or department store, my shopping method is, "Get in; get it; get out."
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2023, 12:14:55 am »
Another story I read a while ago was black people in Philadelphia upset because a number of convenience stores in black areas of Philly were thinking about erecting protective barriers for the clerks to prevent them from getting robbed and/or shot/stabbed and killed by mostly black thugs.
The black people were far more upset that putting up the barriers would make them look bad rather than many clerks, a number of them black, lives would be saved by putting up the barriers.
Yeah, so what if it saves lives and helps stop robberies.  9999hair out0000