Author Topic: The Best Presidential Candidate in the World Is Running in Argentina  (Read 302 times)

Online Kamaji

The Best Presidential Candidate in the World Is Running in Argentina

David Harsanyi
Aug 18, 2023

The media would like you to know that Javier Milei, the upstart candidate who improbably won Argentina's presidential primary this week, is a "Trump admirer," "right-wing populist," "far-right outsider," "far-right populist," "rightist," "far-right libertarian," a "radical" -- and did they mention he's on the "far right"?

Anyway, I'm no expert on Argentinian politics, so this coverage sparked my curiosity. And it turns out, Milei -- also known as el Peluca ("The Wig") because he sports the hairstyle of a man spinning jazz-flute fusion records in his velvet-draped bachelor pad circa 1972 -- is far more interesting than headlines would have us believe.

An economist and rhetorical pugilist, Milei's philosophical outlook could more precisely be described as "doctrinaire ultraliberal," (the good kind) as Andres Malamud of the Institute of Social Sciences of the University of Lisbon recently put it. That is news because it is an exceptionally rare outlook.

Milei threatens to upend the political order in a country in the middle of another economic meltdown. Once-low poverty rates have exploded -- some estimates put it at 43% -- while the currency continues to lose its value. Milei, a longtime television personality, has made the case that Argentines are "hostages" to generationally destructive economic policy. (Interest rates were hiked to 118% this week.) He argues that politicians -- or, as he calls them, "rats" of the "parasitic, useless and useless political caste" -- have destroyed one of the richest countries in the world "with nefarious ideas to line their pockets."

Source:  https://townhall.com/columnists/davidharsanyi/2023/08/18/the-best-presidential-candidate-in-the-world-is-running-in-argentina-n2627192

Online MajorClay

Re: The Best Presidential Candidate in the World Is Running in Argentina
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2023, 05:57:45 pm »
 :2popcorn:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: The Best Presidential Candidate in the World Is Running in Argentina
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 03:53:51 am »
 :pop41:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis