Author Topic: The Songs the Sound Engineers Use to Tune Your Stereo  (Read 476 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The Songs the Sound Engineers Use to Tune Your Stereo
« on: August 17, 2023, 10:08:33 pm »
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/top-of-the-charts-the-songs-the-sound-engineers-use-to-tune-your-stereo

For sound-system engineers at the audio-equipment manufacturer Bose, a playlist is more than tracks that slap. To test stereos, they need songs representing a variety of sounds and recording techniques to make sure new systems can re-create a song with the depth of the original recording.

To have a common reference point, Bose engineers all over the globe share a master playlist. “Every system engineer knows these tracks inside and out,” says Mark Armitage, head of the acoustical-engineering team at the company’s Michigan field office. “It makes for a universal language we can use when testing and tuning.”

(excerpt)

The partial list (the article mentions the whole list is 54 recordings long, but only nine—along with the rationale for each one—are included):

• A generic "pink" noise track
  • "I Can See Clearly Now," cover version by the Holly Cole Trio
  • "Bird on a Wire," Johnny Cash
  • "24K Magic," Bruno Mars
  • "Billie Jean," cover version by Winterplay
  • "Learning to Fly," live version by Tom Petty
  • "Take Five," Dave Brubeck Quartet
  • "Hey Nineteen," Steely Dan
  • "Homeward Bound," cover version by Straight No Chaser
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Re: The Songs the Sound Engineers Use to Tune Your Stereo
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 10:25:00 pm »
My mom used to sing that first selection (#1 on the list) to me when I was a child. Put me to sleep every time. /s

Back in the day when I did car stereos (before sound ordinances became commonplace)... My favorite test music oddly enough was few Enya songs.... I am sure they test different things now days, not so much basswise. But Enya just did the full gambit for me.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 10:31:08 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: The Songs the Sound Engineers Use to Tune Your Stereo
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 10:29:20 pm »
Those are pretty good cuts to test for the stated purposes.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: