Author Topic: Mortgage rates could hit 8%, economists say, citing a worrying sign not seen since the Great Recessi  (Read 1846 times)

Online libertybele

Mortgage rates could hit 8%, economists say, citing a worrying sign not seen since the Great Recession

With mortgage rates firmly above 7%, homeownership has become much more expensive. But will rates go even higher?

Three experts told MarketWatch that if the economy continues to show signs of strength, and the U.S. Federal Reserve hikes its benchmark interest rate once again, rates could go up to 8%.

High rates have already taken a toll on the U.S. housing market. Even home builders, who have in recent months experienced strong demand from homebuyers, are reporting a drop in buyer traffic as those rising rates rattle their customers.

But experts also stressed that the U.S. economy is showing early signs of cooling, and that the rate of inflation is easing. That could lead to a slowdown — or even a drop — in mortgage rates. But such forecasts are not a guarantee, as Tuesday’s stronger-than-expected U.S. retail sales figures suggested............

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mortgage-rates-could-hit-8-economists-say-citing-a-worrying-sign-not-seen-since-the-great-recession-edf2b4a4?mod=home-page
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DB

Up until around 2000 around 8% was a pretty typical 30 year home mortgage rate. Then after 2001 the rates went artificially low and there has been chaos ever since.

Online libertybele

Up until around 2000 around 8% was a pretty typical 30 year home mortgage rate. Then after 2001 the rates went artificially low and there has been chaos ever since.

During the Carter years people were having to take out 'balloon' mortgages because rates were so high.  People have become accustomed to lower interest rates. The cost of homes have skyrocketed.  IMHO we're nearing a housing bubble.  Prices will decline some and once the evil one is out of office (God willing) we'll see interest rates come down a bit.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

A 30-year fixed mortgage payment on a $410,000 home was $1,358/mo in August 2021. Today, it's $2,202/mo.

https://twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1692272445653193100
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
A 30-year fixed mortgage payment on a $410,000 home was $1,358/mo in August 2021. Today, it's $2,202/mo.

https://twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1692272445653193100

Good thing all other household expenses are way down or people would really be hurting
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline LMAO

8% was typical for most loans

My first car loan was close to that

My and the wife’s student loans were 8%

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online corbe

I can't believe Fannie and Freddie are still around.  Thank you Barney Frank (Q-MA)
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
During Carternomics my 1st home loan was 9.5% on an 83K home.  Our Income was 28.5K per year.  Some how we made it.  But we didn't have all the extra "necessities" people have to today to dig into a budget.  You know, things like Cell bills, Media expenses, Starbucks, .....
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

8% was typical for most loans

My first car loan was close to that

My and the wife’s student loans were 8%

Car loans tend to have higher rates than housing mortgages because the asset securing the loan is (a) mobile, so there is higher risk of loss, and (b) wasting, so there is higher risk that the security will be inadequate to cover the outstanding principal if the security - i.e., the car - is repossessed.

Online DB

Car loans tend to have higher rates than housing mortgages because the asset securing the loan is (a) mobile, so there is higher risk of loss, and (b) wasting, so there is higher risk that the security will be inadequate to cover the outstanding principal if the security - i.e., the car - is repossessed.

Car loans use to be no more than 4 years and you had to carry comprehensive insurance. You also needed to make a substantial down payment.

For houses prior to around 2000 it was common to require at least a 10% down payment. The more you paid down the better the interest rate. Then things went to zero down in the mid 2000's and we all know what followed...

Online libertybele

My first car loan was during the Carter administration.  I put half the money down and they still made my Dad co-sign for the loan. The interest rate was 14%.  I remember that they only way my piano teacher could sell their home was on a balloon mortgage.  Things were a mess.  Gas lines were long or you couldn't find gas also.

Online DB

My first car loan was during the Carter administration.  I put half the money down and they still made my Dad co-sign for the loan. The interest rate was 14%.  I remember that they only way my piano teacher could sell their home was on a balloon mortgage.  Things were a mess.  Gas lines were long or you couldn't find gas also.

Fortunately the Carter years didn't last too much longer than his administration.

Offline Kamaji

Car loans use to be no more than 4 years and you had to carry comprehensive insurance. You also needed to make a substantial down payment.

For houses prior to around 2000 it was common to require at least a 10% down payment. The more you paid down the better the interest rate. Then things went to zero down in the mid 2000's and we all know what followed...

Cars last longer now, so loan terms have expanded.  It's also easier to get a loan on a used car, most likely because cars last longer now.  Comprehensive insurance is still generally required.

Online DB

Cars last longer now, so loan terms have expanded.  It's also easier to get a loan on a used car, most likely because cars last longer now.  Comprehensive insurance is still generally required.

I think is because the car market would dry up if you had to pay for a far more expensive car in 4 years or less. The rising cost of car has substantially exceeded rising incomes. Regarding insurance, yes if you have any kind of lender on the title.

Offline Kamaji

I think is because the car market would dry up if you had to pay for a far more expensive car in 4 years or less. The rising cost of car has substantially exceeded rising incomes. Regarding insurance, yes if you have any kind of lender on the title.

Maybe so, but cars most definitely last a lot longer than they used to, thereby justifying longer exposures to risk.  If that were not the case, only the high-risk lenders would take on longer car longs, but that is not the case, and the interest rates would be significantly higher to accommodate that higher risk. 

The cost factor is also dealt with primarily through the increase in the availability of leasing, or lease-to-own, solutions.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 04:37:54 pm by Kamaji »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
It's been so long since you could get such a good rate on Savings accounts though. Might be a nice time to get some CD's (what are those)?

That's the upside to high interest rates.

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/banking/cds/dont-wait-even-though-the-fed-raised-rates-experts-say-now-is-the-time-to-lock-in-a-long-term-cd/
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 04:49:17 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline Kamaji

It's been so long since you could get such a good rate on Savings accounts though. Might be a nice time to get some CD's (what are those)?

That's the upside to high interest rates.

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/banking/cds/dont-wait-even-though-the-fed-raised-rates-experts-say-now-is-the-time-to-lock-in-a-long-term-cd/

:thumbsup:

Offline mountaineer

The average 30-year fixed U.S. mortgage rate jumps to 7.48%.  That’s the highest reading since 2000.

https://twitter.com/NewsLambert/status/1693660175364706681
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online roamer_1

Or the price would have to drop radically...

The same thing with housing... two points on half a million is a giant difference on the payment.
All those McMansions are a drug on the market right now, I bet.

Online DB

Or the price would have to drop radically...

The same thing with housing... two points on half a million is a giant difference on the payment.
All those McMansions are a drug on the market right now, I bet.

Cars are expected to have all sorts of safety features these days that are not inexpensive. Antilock brakes, traction control, rear camera, rear something approaching from the side detectors, lane departure detectors, automatic breaking when approaching something head on detector, adaptive cruise control, numerous airbags, bluetooth hands free cell phone connection, etc. It is probably hard to sell a car these days without most of those.

Online roamer_1

Cars are expected to have all sorts of safety features these days that are not inexpensive. Antilock brakes, traction control, rear camera, rear something approaching from the side detectors, lane departure detectors, automatic breaking when approaching something head on detector, adaptive cruise control, numerous airbags, bluetooth hands free cell phone connection, etc. It is probably hard to sell a car these days without most of those.

Yeah... Maybe the high price and low margin will force them back into a radio, a stick and manual windows, and no damn butt warmers for a change... Might get me interested...

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Hate to sound greedy, but I personally view seeing some fixed investment instuments like sound Corporate Bonds at near 10% as a welcome addition to my portfolio.

As I've done in the past 40 years.....  You gotta ride the waves as they happen.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

In '87, paid 10% down, got a 9.1 fixed rate 30 yr, in a local real estate bust, so it was about 35% what the house had cost in '85. During the refi frenzy later, the lender called me and offered to drop it to 5.1%, and I said all other terms the same? They said "Yes" and so did I.
I paid it off a couple years early by just rounding up to the next $50. Still live there.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 08:29:29 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yeah... Maybe the high price and low margin will force them back into a radio, a stick and manual windows, and no damn butt warmers for a change... Might get me interested...
Yeah, ABS locked up all 4 wheels on me once. I had the presence of mind to shut it off, wait 5 seconds, and reboot the ABS computer. That worked, but I got to thinking about being stuck that way in an intersection with some semi coming at me after the light changed, and not having 5 seconds...  **nononono*
Not going there.
When I got home, I popped the hood, pulled that 60 amp fuse and laid it down in the fuse box and put the cover back on.
 I learned to drive on ice and snow old school, and it still works best.
Besides, I can lock them up to startle some idiot out of getting in the way. :laugh:

(No never ever cruise control in winter, either. That's for dry roads and speed traps.)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 08:35:45 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

Yeah, ABS locked up all 4 wheels on me once. I had the presence of mind to shut it off, wait 5 seconds, and reboot the ABS computer. That worked, but I got to thinking about being stuck that way in an intersection with some semi coming at me after the light changed, and not having 5 seconds...  **nononono*
Not going there.
When I got home, I popped the hood, pulled that 60 amp fuse and laid it down in the fuse box and put the cover back on.
 I learned to drive on ice and snow old school, and it still works best.
Besides, I can lock them up to startle some idiot out of getting in the way. :laugh:

(No never ever cruise control in winter, either. That's for dry roads and speed traps.)

Adaptive cruise control is pretty nice on long trips.