Author Topic: Thousands using personal cell phones, tablets for official Army work  (Read 456 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Thousands using personal cell phones, tablets for official Army work
By Colin Demarest
 Aug 15, 11:20 AM

AUGUSTA, Ga. — Tens of thousands of people are using personal mobile devices, such as cell phones or tablet computers, to connect to guarded U.S. Army networks and conduct official business.

Some 20,000 users have been approved for the service’s bring-your-own-device initiative after more than a year of brainstorming, piloting and cybersecurity checks, according to Lt. Gen. John Morrison, a top information technology official. Users include active-duty soldiers and civilians and members of the Army Reserve and National Guard.

“It’s more efficient, more effective, and, quite frankly, if you want to reach me on the weekend, call me on my personal device,” Morrison said Aug. 15 at the AFCEA TechNet Augusta conference in Georgia. “I don’t even worry about carrying two phones anymore, it’s so reliable.”

The embrace of BYOD comes as the Army pursues ubiquitous connectivity on and off the battlefield to ensure the right information gets to the right person at the right time. It also comes on the heels of a pandemic that forced millions into remote-working arrangements.

https://www.c4isrnet.com/battlefield-tech/it-networks/2023/08/15/thousands-using-personal-cell-phones-tablets-for-official-army-work/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: Thousands using personal cell phones, tablets for official Army work
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2023, 05:44:39 pm »
:facepalm2:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2023, 07:49:57 pm »
I wonder how many of those have tik-tok...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2023, 08:00:14 pm »
I wonder how many of those have tik-tok...

Exactly.  Or any other number of dodgy apps.

Offline Daddyoy

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2023, 08:09:51 pm »
We've been doing this in the Air Force for a couple of years now also. You take your personal device in to the cyber security team, they install security software, you go through training, sign documents saying you understand what you can and can't do and then you start using your device to retrieve your gov email, and access gov applications.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2023, 08:38:59 pm »
“It’s more efficient, more effective, and, quite frankly, if you want to reach me on the weekend, call me on my personal device,” Morrison said...
Hey, it's only national security.

You take your personal device in to the cyber security team, they install security software, you go through training, sign documents saying you understand what you can and can't do and then you start using your device to retrieve your gov email, and access gov applications.
That doesn't really assure me of the security of these devices, I'm sorry to say, @Daddyoy  (and welcome to TBR!!).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Daddyoy

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2023, 01:27:24 pm »
@mountaineer, I didn't agree with it when the AF started letting us use our own devices. Just pointing out how simple the process is to get your device on the military network. Never took mine in because I'm not sold on how secure the device truly is.   

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2023, 01:31:24 pm »
@mountaineer, I didn't agree with it when the AF started letting us use our own devices. Just pointing out how simple the process is to get your device on the military network. Never took mine in because I'm not sold on how secure the device truly is.
888high58888
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2023, 02:01:27 pm »

:thumbsup: