Author Topic: America’s Diminishing Influence in Charting a New World Order  (Read 149 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
America’s Diminishing Influence in Charting a New World Order
.By Amin Saikal
America’s Diminishing Influence in Charting a New World OrderAP

The U.S. and allied retreat from Afghanistan two years ago has left a seemingly indelible question mark over America’s ability to influence international events. This point is not lost on either those states that upheld the U.S. as a security provider or those that looked up to it as a democratic model to emulate. America’s adversaries—most importantly China, Russia, Iran and North Korea—could not be more pleased to see the U.S. on the back foot in the conduct of global affairs.

U.S. President Joe Biden’s administration has sought to contain and repair the damage resulting from the Afghanistan and Iraq fiascos and the corrosive persistence of Trumpism that has polarised the American public to such an extent that the very fabric of America’s democratic institutions and values are under threat.

On the foreign policy front, Washington has made a concerted effort to ensure the unity and strength of NATO in the face of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, to subject Russia to a regime of maximum sanctions and to provide Ukraine some U.S.$43 billion worth of military and humanitarian assistance to help defeat Russia. It has also sought to forge an alliance of democracies against autocracies and theocracies and to beef up such measures as the Quad and AUKUS to contain China’s assertive regional and global ambitions.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2023/08/16/americas_diminishing_influence_in_charting_a_new_world_order_973249.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson