Author Topic: Hurricane Hilary thread  (Read 6290 times)

Offline Polly Ticks

Re: Hurricane Hilary thread
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2023, 12:24:49 am »
Looks like I'm gonna get wet, starting tomorrow night.  The last heavy storm, I never lost WiFi, so knock on wood that I don't need to switch my Verizon hotspot on.

Hunker down and be safe.  Prayers up that it blows itself out sooner rather than later.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2023, 12:27:35 am »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2023, 12:49:04 am »

That map shows us outside of the "cone of uncertainty," but when Hilary hits landfall in Baja California she will start spreading out, and we are on the east side of that (the "brunt.").  We expect significant rainfall.

Where am I?  Look at where Nevada narrows down to a point, where AZ, CA and NV join.  When I go to the cig store on the Res in Nevada, we are about 4 miles from the California border.

I heard the weather people on TeeVee say Palm Springs is expecting 5 inches.  I won't get that, but it will be plenty.  Good thing we got groceries a couple days ago.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2023, 03:01:29 am »
Ohh good grief, I honestly thought this was a Babylon Bee joke post knocking our much beloved (/s) Hillary Clinton. 
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2023, 03:09:57 am »
Looks like it could get in the the gulf of california.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2023, 03:31:22 am »
The Saharan dust is supposed to settle into the Atlantic next week, so we may have some named storms in that region once Hilary is dead.

Offline Hoodat

Hurricane Hilary is 'strengthening rapidly' and will likely become 'major' storm today, forecasters say
Hilary has now become a Category 2 hurricane

One of the comments on that story:

tony7988545
9 hours ago

They don’t know where hurricane Hillary came from because somehow its previous path was deleted. They say it swung past Epstein‘s island. There was another storm next to it that tried to alert officials about the storm, but somehow that storm killed itself.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2023, 11:09:03 am »
Hurricane Hilary now major hurricane with ‘significant’ impacts expected in California, Southwest

By Steven Yablonski, FOX Weather
August 18, 2023

Hurricane Hilary rapidly intensified into a Category 3 cyclone on Thursday, and forecasters said that the hurricane’s path means the storm could bring “significant” impacts to Southern California and the Southwest by the weekend and into the first part of next week.

According to the National Hurricane Center (NHC), rapid intensification occurs when a tropical cyclone’s maximum sustained winds increase by at least 35 mph in a 24-hour period.

“Rainfall impacts from Hilary within the Southwestern United States are expected to peak this weekend into Monday,” the NHC said in an advisory. “Flash, urban and arroyo flooding is possible with the potential for significant impacts.”

Ocean water temperatures off the coast of California remain cool, so influence should diminish the intensity of Hurricane Hilary if the forecast track brings the storm to the Golden State.

What forecasters are keeping an eye on will be the abundant tropical moisture that could be flowing into California, Nevada and Arizona.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/18/hurricane-hilary-now-major-hurricane-with-significant-impacts-expected-in-california-southwest/

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2023, 12:21:36 pm »
Cat 4?
LIVE COVERAGE
Updated 4 minutes ago
Hurricane Hilary live updates: Category 4 storm barrels toward California
The National Weather Service warned that the hurricane was expected to bring “significant impacts” to the Southwestern U.S. this weekend into early next week.
Updated Aug. 18, 2023, 8:15 AM EDT
By NBC News

What to know about the Category 4 storm

*Hurricane Hilary strengthened to a Category 4 storm early Friday and is expected to weaken before reaching California.
    *The National Weather Service warned the system was expected to bring "significant impacts" to the Southwest this weekend into early next week.
    *Hilary reached maximum sustained winds of 140 miles per hour as of early Friday, according to the National Hurricane Center.
    *If the system makes landfall in California as a tropical storm, it will be a rarity. The last time this happened in the past century was in Long Beach in 1939 ...
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/live-blog/hurricane-hilary-live-updates-rcna100563
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2023, 01:44:36 pm »
"Spaghetti Maps" (computer prediction models) are here:

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/#09E

(Right side of page)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2023, 02:18:02 pm »
I don't wish hurricanes on anyone, But it is nice to see the Leftcoast press go all-in on ginning up fear there rather than being here in FL ginning up fear.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2023, 02:19:57 pm »
I don't wish hurricanes on anyone, But it is nice to see the Leftcoast press go all-in on ginning up fear there rather than being here in FL ginning up fear.

Don't they also need the rain badly?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2023, 02:29:54 pm »

I am glad to see you on this thread...I am in the target now, and it went to a 4 overnight, a 3 was expected.  I got some rain last night, but it was not related to Hilary.  Monsoons are also starting to arrive.  And the track shifted a bit to the East.  The storms may converge here.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2023, 02:44:43 pm »
I am glad to see you on this thread...I am in the target now, and it went to a 4 overnight, a 3 was expected.  I got some rain last night, but it was not related to Hilary.  Monsoons are also starting to arrive.  And the track shifted a bit to the East.  The storms may converge here.

@Cyber Liberty take care. Sandy was no joke so I wouldn't wish anything like that on anyone. Stay safe and I hope you and the kitties will be ok
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2023, 02:47:27 pm »
@Cyber Liberty take care. Sandy was no joke so I wouldn't wish anything like that on anyone. Stay safe and I hope you and the kitties will be ok

They know they are safe.  Sometimes having a Castle has its benefits.   rrthree
I will NOT comply.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2023, 03:24:27 pm »

Here is the joke we post when we might be in the path of a 'cane

Jim Cantore
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2023, 03:44:04 pm »

Thanks for the update; stay safe!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2023, 03:50:16 pm »
Here is the joke we post when we might be in the path of a 'cane

Jim Cantore

:happyhappy:
I will NOT comply.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Idiot

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2023, 06:51:15 pm »

I am with you on that.  :laugh:

BUT, all y'all are ready... And a cat 4 is a worry to you.

L.A. ain't ready. Their buildings ain't ready. Their people ain't ready. This is gonna suck for wherever this makes landfall. When's the last time there has been a serious cyclone at Cali's door?

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2023, 06:53:55 pm »
I am with you on that.  :laugh:

BUT, all y'all are ready... And a cat 4 is a worry to you.

L.A. ain't ready. Their buildings ain't ready. Their people ain't ready. This is gonna suck for wherever this makes landfall. When's the last time there has been a serious cyclone at Cali's door?

I sure don't remember any...I guess I will google it...lol
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2023, 06:55:03 pm »
What was the last hurricane to hit California?
News of Hurricane Hilary barreling toward Southern California has drawn reminders of "El Cordonazo," a tropical storm that hit the state almost 84 years ago. "El Cordonazo," which made landfall in Long Beach in September 1939, is the last tropical storm recorded in California.1 hour ago

List of California hurricanes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_California_hurricanes
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 06:56:04 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

Offline libertybele

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2023, 06:57:01 pm »

I'm just hoping that this will be a quiet hurricane season for FL.  We could use a break.

Temps have dropped down today to 84.  Definitely some cooling off.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.