Author Topic: Why Don’t Aircraft Carriers Tip Over?  (Read 487 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Why Don’t Aircraft Carriers Tip Over?
« on: August 15, 2023, 05:29:55 pm »
Why Don’t Aircraft Carriers Tip Over?
Story by Kyle Mizokami •
1d

It’s a delicate question, to say the least: could a $13 billion dollar aircraft carrier that took five years to build, now home to 5,000 people, just suddenly tip over?

I decided to broach the subject after seeing a post on Reddit’s r/Damnthatsinteresting subreddit, which pointed out something not everyone notices: aircraft carriers are “insanely curved,” which makes them look like they’re ready to topple over at any moment. The post tells a story in two pictures: the first shows a sharply curved aircraft carrier prow that narrows to a knifelike point, which to some implies the entire bottom of the ship is knifelike. The second picture shows what a carrier-like ship (here, a U.S. Navy amphibious assault ship) looks like below the waterline.

Tapered hulls may make carriers look unsteady, but there’s more than meets the eye here.

Buoyancy

According to the Greek mathematician and inventor Archimedes, any object resting on the surface of water is acted upon by a buoyancy force. The buoyancy force pushes upward, while gravity (which Archimedes did not know about) pushes downward. As a result, if the object is less dense than the liquid it displaces, it will float.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/why-don-t-aircraft-carriers-tip-over/ar-AA1fiF8k?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=2970d169071f485484dce1dd1fe0eba5&ei=19
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Why Don’t Aircraft Carriers Tip Over?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2023, 06:18:26 pm »
Math is racist, ergo Archimedes was a racist and every conclusion he ever made must be struck from history.   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 07:31:57 pm »
Math is racist, ergo Archimedes was a racist and every conclusion he ever made must be struck from history.   

:silly:

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 07:47:56 pm »

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2023, 08:19:59 pm »
Well, if
Hank Johnson
ever climbed aboard, I might grab myself a lifejacket.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 08:21:30 pm by andy58-in-nh »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2023, 09:49:16 pm »
I guess I qualify for the "Hank Johnson" award, but...

Looking at Elderberry's pic above, it STILL looks like there isn't enough below the water to counter-balance that which is above.

Must be a lot of weight down below...

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2023, 11:27:32 pm »

https://science.howstuffworks.com/aircraft-carrier1.htm

The hull of the ship is made up of extremely strong steel plates, measuring several inches thick. This heavy body is highly effective protection against fire and battle damage. The ship's structural support largely comes from three horizontal structures extending across the entire hull: the keel (the iron backbone on the bottom of the ship), the flight deck and the hangar deck.

The hull portion below the water line is rounded and relatively narrow, while the section above water flares out to form the wide flight-deck space. The lower section of the ship has a double bottom, which is pretty much what it sounds like -- there are two layers of steel plating: the bottom plating of the ship and another layer above it, separated by a gap. The double bottom provides extra protection from torpedos or accidents at sea. If the enemy hits the bottom of the ship, smashing a hole in the outer steel layer, the second layer will prevent a massive leak.

I went into the double bottom of the Lex once helping the troubleshooting of the fathometer.

And we went thru 50ft seas and didn't tip over.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2023, 11:38:38 pm »

I went into the double bottom of the Lex once helping the troubleshooting of the fathometer.

And we went thru 50ft seas and didn't tip over.
I thought I read somewhere that the double bottoms could be flooded to counter ballast a list or stabilize the ship.

Obviously, most of the really heavy stuff on board is in the engineering spaces at the bottom of the hull, (reactors, turbines, etc) and that would serve as ballast. Large as they are, aircraft are built lightweight for performance and increased payload, not nearly as dense as propulsion and electrical equipment.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2023, 11:56:29 pm »
Whether USS Lexington (CV-2), USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78), or every USN carrier in between, they will look top-heavy. But as @Smokin Joe pointed out, the heavy machinery is in the lower decks, while the crew spaces and hangar deck have loads of space occupied by air (which is light). In plain terms, carriers, like all ships, are significantly bottom-heavy.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 11:57:44 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2023, 12:31:27 am »
I thought I read somewhere that the double bottoms could be flooded to counter ballast a list or stabilize the ship.

Obviously, most of the really heavy stuff on board is in the engineering spaces at the bottom of the hull, (reactors, turbines, etc) and that would serve as ballast. Large as they are, aircraft are built lightweight for performance and increased payload, not nearly as dense as propulsion and electrical equipment.

My job on troubleshooting the fathometer was bailing out the tiny compartment in the double bottom that the transducer was mounted in with a coffee can.