Author Topic: Ex-NFLer Michael Oher: ‘Blind Side’ family lied about adopting me  (Read 1027 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Ex-NFLer Michael Oher: ‘Blind Side’ family lied about adopting me
By Michael Blinn   
August 14, 2023 1:25pm

It was all a lie, according to Michael Oher.

The ex-NFLer and subject of the movie “The Blind Side” claims Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy never officially adopted him, but instead tricked him into signing away the legal authority to use his name in business deals after he turned 18, according to ESPN.

A 14-page petition filed in Shelby County, Tenn., probate court further claims the Tuohys used their conservatorship to make themselves and their birth children millions of dollars in royalties from the 2009 Warner Bros. movie starring Sandra Bullock and Tim McGraw.

“The lie of Michael’s adoption is one upon which Co-Conservators Leigh Anne Tuohy and Sean Tuohy have enriched themselves at the expense of their Ward, the undersigned Michael Oher,” the legal filing says. “Michael Oher discovered this lie to his chagrin and embarrassment in February of 2023, when he learned that the Conservatorship to which he consented on the basis that doing so would make him a member of the Tuohy family, in fact provided him no familial relationship with the Tuohys.”

ESPN could not reach the Tuohys for comments.

Had Oher been legally adopted he would have retained the power to handle his own finances as a member of the family, whereas a conservatorship gave that authority to the Tuohys.

more
https://nypost.com/2023/08/14/ex-nfler-michael-oher-blind-side-family-never-adopted-me/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

He certainly waited a long time to say anything.

Oh, I see: Michael Oher discovered this lie to his chagrin and embarrassment in February of 2023 ...

Still, he's been a legal adult for a long time.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 10:03:05 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline roamer_1

Crap.The only chick flick I like.

Offline Hoodat

There's no reason a 37-year-old should have a conservatorship over him, especially with no beneficiary rights.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Polly Ticks

He certainly waited a long time to say anything.

No kidding.  That movie came out 13 years ago, when Oher was 24.  Doesn't really sound like a case of a minor child being taken advantage of, on the face of it.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Polly Ticks

'The Blind Side' family responds to Michael Oher's conservatorship allegations

WASHINGTON — Members of the Tuohy family are responding to allegations from former NFL player Michael Oher, known for being the inspiration for the movie “The Blind Side,” denying that they took advantage of him as a young athlete.

[...]

Sean Tuohy told The Daily Memphian the family was "devastated" by the claims and said the family would dissolve the conservatorship if Oher wanted it.

“It’s upsetting to think we would make money off any of our children," he told the news outlet. "But we’re going to love Michael at 37 just like we loved him at 16.”

According to Tuohy, the conservatorship was done to satisfy the NCAA as Oher considered Tuohy's alma mater Mississippi for college.

https://www.whas11.com/article/news/nation-world/tuohy-family-responds-michael-oher-conservatorship-lawsuit/507-33c8dd94-c0fe-4738-85a4-ade729b9bcf2
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 ‘Blind Side’ Tuohy family accuses ex-NFLer Michael Oher of $15M ‘shakedown’ before bombshell court filing
By Ronny Reyes   
August 15, 2023 4:25pm

Michael Oher, the ex-NFL star whose story inspired the Oscar-winning film “The Blind Side,” allegedly asked his adoptive family for $15 million not to go public with claims they swindled him, according to the family’s attorney.

Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy said through their legal representative there is no credence to Oher’s claims he was fooled into a conservatorship and rubbished claims the couple made millions off his life’s story.

Their lawyer told TMZ Sports Oher was instead the principal offender who has repeatedly threatened to “plant a negative story” about the Tuohys in the press if they didn’t cough up an eight-figure check.

“Over the years, the Tuohys have given Mr. Oher an equal cut of every penny received from ‘The Blind Side,’” attorney Marty Singer said.

“Even recently, when Mr. Oher started to threaten them about what he would do unless they paid him an eight-figure windfall, and, as part of that shakedown effort refused to cash the small profit checks from the Tuohys, they still deposited Mr. Oher’s equal share into a trust account they set up for his son.”

Singer alleged Oher had been dropped as a client by other lawyers, but “has finally found a willing enabler and filed this ludicrous lawsuit as a cynical attempt to drum up attention in the middle of his latest book tour.”

A representative for Oher, a member of the 2013 Baltimore Ravens Super Bowl winning team, did not immediately respond to The Post’s request for comment.

Oher, 37, filed a lawsuit in Shelby County, Tenn., court Monday, alleging he only recently learned he wasn’t officially adopted by the Tuohys and that he was signed into a conservatorship which allowed them to retain legal power over him.

more
https://nypost.com/2023/08/15/michael-oher-accused-of-15m-shakedown-of-tuohy-family/
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mountaineer

Oh. Never mind.
Michael Oher Acknowledged The Tuohys Were His ‘Legal Conservators’ In His Own Memoir Written In 2011
by Mark Harris
August 17, 2023, 9:12 am updated August 17, 2023, 9:19 am   
OUTKICK

... Oher, now 37, alleges that he only found out about the Tuohys being his legal conservators in February 2023.

Based on his own book published in 2011, that simply isn’t true. 

Oher specifically wrote about Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy becoming his conservators in his memoir ‘I Beat The Odds: From Homelessness, to The Blind Side, and Beyond.’

“It kind of felt like a formality, as I’d been a part of the family for more than a year at that point. Since I was already over the age of eighteen and considered an adult by the state of Tennessee, Sean and Leigh Anne would be named as my ‘legal conservators,'” Oher writes in the book. ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
'Blind Side' author Michael Lewis breaks silence on Michael Oher petition against Tuohy family
'Everybody should be mad at the Hollywood studio system,' says Lewis
By Ryan Gaydos Fox News
Published August 17, 2023 6:44am EDT

excerpt:

"What I feel really sad about is I watched the whole thing up close," Lewis said. "They showered him with resources and love. That he’s suspicious of them is breathtaking. The state of mind one has to be in to do that — I feel sad for him."

more
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/blind-side-author-michael-lewis-breaks-silence-michael-oher-petition-against-tuohy-family
Support the USO

Offline goatprairie

Crap.The only chick flick I like.
My wife made me watch it. I'm still sorry about the wasted time. I'm not very fond of a "white savior" movies.
And the recent events concerning the person in this movie suing the family that adopted him and the Colin Kaepernick fiasco make me wish that white people should stop adopting black children. Let black people adopt black children.

Offline roamer_1

Re: Ex-NFLer Michael Oher: ‘Blind Side’ family lied about adopting me
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2023, 01:28:10 am »
My wife made me watch it. I'm still sorry about the wasted time. I'm not very fond of a "white savior" movies.
And the recent events concerning the person in this movie suing the family that adopted him and the Colin Kaepernick fiasco make me wish that white people should stop adopting black children. Let black people adopt black children.

Ahh, I don't care about the politics... It's a good story, with a happy ending... And Sandra Bullock as a redneck gal, with a little accent (which she does alright, though she sounds more like Texas, desert SW)... well... That covers a lot of sins.  happy77

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Ex-NFLer Michael Oher: ‘Blind Side’ family lied about adopting me
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2023, 01:31:37 am »
Orh has a book to sell. 

I don't understand people anymore. 

Not giving AF about this shit storm. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.