Author Topic: Scott Morefield - Why I Soured On Trump  (Read 3600 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Scott Morefield - Why I Soured On Trump
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2023, 03:10:49 pm »
Tumpy's not near as tough as he makes out.  He's all mouth and bluster.

He even admits to it.  It's just all "bravado" to him.

Offline the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2023, 03:15:07 pm »
Please note my comment is about people spending time online in general; I'm not targeting diehard Trump supporters (another "if the shoe fits" thing). But I do believe more real action and fewer social media posts would be a good thing.

Actually, I'm also thinking of a relative whose sanity I question. She believes regurgitating Q-anon nonsense about everyone in Hollywood being pedophile transgenders and JFK Jr. being alive and waiting in the wings to be Trump's VP constitutes "fighting." She's educating the masses one Facebook post at a time, dontcha know.  **nononono*

Oh I did understand.  Hence why I stated “NONE of US”.

We’re all keyboard warriors.  Some may actually be doing something in the electoral boards or in the committee local headquarters, but none of it is “fighting” and certainly not taking up the gun.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2023, 03:19:12 pm »
Excellent point.  They value passion and intentions more than results.

Yes.  That is what they conflate with “tough”.

To wit, even in 2016 Trump fans were impressed by his big nasty name-calling mouth and meanwhile, despised Ben Carson for being “too nice”, probably because he was quiet too.

I went over and over again about this.  You can’t judge real toughness by how much mouth you give.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2023, 03:25:02 pm »
Yes.  That is what they conflate with “tough”.

To wit, even in 2016 Trump fans were impressed by his big nasty name-calling mouth and meanwhile, despised Ben Carson for being “too nice”, probably because he was quiet too.

I went over and over again about this.  You can’t judge real toughness by how much mouth you give.

:thumbsup:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2023, 03:35:48 pm »
They always say that -- "stand up and fight".  As if Trump saying stupid sh1t! And people attending circle-jerk rallies constitutes "fighting".

Most of them wouldn't know a real fight if it clubbed them over the head.

That's right... To the point that 'fight' seems to mean something different... Maybe it's a back east thing... Because all I see in Tumpy is a loudmouth buffoon that's all hat and no cattle.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2023, 04:30:03 pm »
There are two, and only two, paths to follow, and they are mutually exclusive.  If you still believe that we are a Republic and that elections can be won, then you should be laser-focused on winning elections.   That means crafting a message and approach designed to elect the most conservative candidate possible.  And that means maximizing votes as much as possible while still sticking to principles.   If you are deliberately, or are indifferent to, alienating potential voters, then you are screwing up big-time if this is the path you have chosen.

THIS, RIGHT HERE  pointing-up

Conservatism is the base on the Right. And that according to the agreement in Reagan/Goldwater.

That's the ONLY place unity can be found on the Right. Anything else will fall short - and it always will.

Supporting a candidate who kicked dirt in the face of fiscal conservatives and libertarians can only be DIVISIVE, when everyone admits it will take every vote.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2023, 04:41:02 pm »
THIS, RIGHT HERE  pointing-up

Conservatism is the base on the Right. And that according to the agreement in Reagan/Goldwater.

That's the ONLY place unity can be found on the Right. Anything else will fall short - and it always will.

Supporting a candidate who kicked dirt in the face of fiscal conservatives and libertarians can only be DIVISIVE, when everyone admits it will take every vote.

The rhetoric of many Trumpers is a model of inconsistency.  They'll make all these arguments that are necessarily premised on the idea that elections are still winnable.  They'll talk about how we all must rally around Trump in the primaries, about how great his second term will be, and how his challengers are all disloyally trying to deny him the nomination. Making those arguments is pointless if they believe that losing in 2024 is a foregone conclusion because the deck is stacked and Democrats will cheat their way to a win.   So they clearly do believe that winning the election is still possible.

But then, when you point out how he makes needlessly antagonistic statements that lose him votes, they'll say it doesn't really matter because the Democrats will steal the election anyway.  It's just all fanatical devotion, where they adopt whatever explanation of the moment best answers a criticism, without regard to whether or not it directly contradicts other points they've made.  It's why any sort of reasoned debate with them or about him has become impossible.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2023, 08:36:56 pm »
I'm glad the author finally saw the light, but Trump's inner demons were on display early in the 2016 primaries.  His attacks on Ted Cruz were those of a wananbe tin pot dictator with a microphone.  Nobody should have taken them, or him, seriously.

The way he treated other Republicans running prevented me from voting for him in 2016. First time I ever wrote in a name. I did vote for him in 2020 mainly because of the border even though I knew Mexico wasn't going to pay for it.   But his actions since losing, and the  cult like obsession of his devoted fans makes me not want any part of it.  Comments I read from some of these fans, including two sisters of mine sadden me. Saying Trump was sent by God as an answer to prayer to save America, and like Jesus he would be persecuted before the revelation of who he is and why he was sent.  And they still believe that.    I just can jump on that wagon. Not this time.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2023, 09:02:39 pm »
Right. Stand up and fight for ideals... otherwise known as principles.

The principles come first.

Pro tip:  There are principles at stake that are more critical to our survival than your clarion call to starve grandma.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2023, 09:03:41 pm »
The way he treated other Republicans running prevented me from voting for him in 2016. First time I ever wrote in a name. I did vote for him in 2020 mainly because of the border even though I knew Mexico wasn't going to pay for it.   But his actions since losing, and the  cult like obsession of his devoted fans makes me not want any part of it.  Comments I read from some of these fans, including two sisters of mine sadden me. Saying Trump was sent by God as an answer to prayer to save America, and like Jesus he would be persecuted before the revelation of who he is and why he was sent.  And they still believe that.    I just can jump on that wagon. Not this time.

Remember how we used to laugh at Obama supporters for being this way towards Barack Obama?

You can see some of that here. How many post you see here that claim that Trump is the only candidate that can “save America?”
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2023, 09:05:27 pm »
The way he treated other Republicans running prevented me from voting for him in 2016.

And you're proud of this?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2023, 09:06:08 pm »
Pro tip:  There are principles at stake that are more critical to our survival than your clarion call to starve grandma.
"Starve grandma?" Gee, that sounds like a familiar talking point...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGnE83A1Z4U
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 09:07:17 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2023, 09:08:34 pm »

It's an embarrassment for the party of Lincoln and of Reagan.

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2023, 09:09:40 pm »

So, you're okay with starving grandma if conservatives do it.  Explains a lot.   :whistle:

Offline LMAO

« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2023, 09:10:57 pm »
So, you're okay with starving grandma if conservatives do it.  Explains a lot.   :whistle:

Strawman alert

Nobody here has ever argued for starving grandmas and grandpas

“Starving grandparents” is a Democrat party talking point
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 09:11:46 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2023, 09:11:31 pm »
It's an embarrassment for the party of Lincoln and of Reagan.

But not surrender and chronic failure?? 

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2023, 09:12:27 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGnE83A1Z4U

The only principles at stake for the Trumpers is electing Trump.  Everything else can burn, including conservative principles.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2023, 09:14:03 pm »
The only principles at stake for the Trumpers is electing Trump.  Everything else can burn, including conservative principles.

That’s what happens when you have a deep emotional bond towards a politician

Barry Goldwater

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2023, 09:17:31 pm »
That’s what happens when you have a deep emotional bond towards a politician

It's what happens when one is a believer in a cult of personality.

« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2023, 09:17:51 pm »
Strawman alert

“Starving grandparents” is a Democrat party talking point

It may be a democrat talking point, but from the months of conversation here in Briefer City a hungry grandma is small price to pay to get the US  back to the most critical principle:  a balanced budget without debt.

When given the choice, pureblood conservatives always choose words over people.  It's why they're politically toxic.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 09:26:32 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline LMAO

« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2023, 09:19:35 pm »
It may be a democrat talking point, but from the months of conversation here in Briefer City a hungry grandma is small price to pay to get the US  back to the most critical principle:  a balanced budget without debt.

When given the choice, pureblood conservatives always close words over people.  It's why they're politically toxic.

Well, then you should be able to find the post from whatever briefer says a grandparent should be thrown off Social Security and Medicare, and forced to starve

You made a charge. Now try to do something that you’re normally not able to do and back that claim.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 09:22:28 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2023, 09:23:19 pm »
Donald Trump, with his cavalier - democrat party - attitude towards spending will starve a lot more grandmas than will anyone who is currently arguing to reform social security.

That is a fact.  If we follow Donald Trump, social security will not be reformed, instead, it will suddenly collapse, and every grandma who depends on it for her sustenance will wake up one day to find that she is no longer receiving a social security check, regardless of whether she needs it or not to survive.

On the other hand, if we follow the path of reform, those grandmas who depend on social security for their basic sustenance will continue to get their social security checks; only the grandmas who have more than sufficient personal resources available to them outside of social security will no longer receive a social security check, but then they won't starve to death because they have sufficient resources.

In other words, Donald Trump will be starving grandma - quite happily while he stuffs his fat piggish face with McDonalds fries - not the social security reformers.

« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2023, 09:25:12 pm »

You should venture beyond your security bubble before broadcasting your prognostications --- such a trip might help you reconsider ---- or at least help you understand why you sound like a jackass.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2023, 09:28:49 pm »
Donald Trump, with his cavalier - democrat party - attitude towards spending will starve a lot more grandmas than will anyone who is currently arguing to reform social security.

That is a fact.  If we follow Donald Trump, social security will not be reformed, instead, it will suddenly collapse, and every grandma who depends on it for her sustenance will wake up one day to find that she is no longer receiving a social security check, regardless of whether she needs it or not to survive.

On the other hand, if we follow the path of reform, those grandmas who depend on social security for their basic sustenance will continue to get their social security checks; only the grandmas who have more than sufficient personal resources available to them outside of social security will no longer receive a social security check, but then they won't starve to death because they have sufficient resources.

In other words, Donald Trump will be starving grandma - quite happily while he stuffs his fat piggish face with McDonalds fries - not the social security reformers.

Or we just continue to print massive amounts of money to fund these programs thereby bringing on inflation were grandma can’t afford to buy food with her check

So grandma will still get her check. It will just be worthless.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 09:33:22 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2023, 09:34:39 pm »
Or we just continue to print massive amounts of money to fund these programs thereby bringing on inflation were grandma can’t afford to buy food with her check

So, how are you helping grandma?