Author Topic: Horrifying video captures house exploding in Pennsylvania, killing five people  (Read 2056 times)

Offline Kamaji

Horrifying video captures house exploding in Pennsylvania, killing five people

By Yaron Steinbuch
August 14, 2023

Horrifying video captures the moment a house was blown to smithereens in western Pennsylvania, killing five people — including a 38-year-old man and his 12-year-old son — and critically injuring a sixth person.

The house on Rustic Ridge Drive in Plum Borough is seen in doorbell camera footage, obtained by WTAE, exploding in a giant fireball Saturday.

The cause of the blast is under investigation with Allegheny County officials saying it could take months.

Plum Police Chief Lanny Conley said the Allegheny County medical examiner has determined that four adults and one child died from the explosion in the Rustic Ridge Estates neighborhood.

Two of the five dead victims have been identified as Casey Clontz and his son, Keegan, the Trib reported.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/14/horrifying-video-captures-house-exploding-in-pennsylvania/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I see a spate of coverage of gas explosions in our future to tell us how dangerous Natural Gas is, and that we should be using all electric stuff...

Even a decline in incidents will be portrayed as a massive increase in the minds of the sheeple.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

I see a spate of coverage of gas explosions in our future to tell us how dangerous Natural Gas is, and that we should be using all electric stuff...

Even a decline in incidents will be portrayed as a massive increase in the minds of the sheeple.

Good point.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Good point, but whatever that was it was far more than a gas leak. It blew up an entire block of houses. I've read all kinds of crazy theories. It was a meth-lab is the most popular. Others are, he was storing explosives in the basement for some reason. Also, the house was built over an abandoned mine, so maybe that had something to do with it. Coal mines are known to explode sometimes. Whatever, I don't know?

But a gas leak does not pass the smell test. With an explosion that big not only would the residents have smelled it or would have been dead, but the entire neighborhood would have smelled like gas long before. A gas pipeline explosion would do it, but a gas leak would not.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Horrifying video captures house exploding in Pennsylvania, killing five people, including father and son who were walking by

Horrifying video captures the moment a house was blown to smithereens in western Pennsylvania, killing five people — including a 38-year-old man and his 12-year-old son — and critically injuring a sixth person.

The house on Rustic Ridge Drive in Plum Borough is seen in doorbell camera footage, obtained by WTAE, exploding in a giant fireball Saturday.

The cause of the blast is under investigation, with Allegheny County officials saying it could take months.

Plum Police Chief Lanny Conley said the Allegheny County medical examiner has determined that four adults and one child died from the explosion in the Rustic Ridge Estates neighborhood.

Two of the five dead victims have been identified as Casey Clontz and his son, Keegan, the Trib reported.

video here
https://www.wgal.com/article/video-plum-pennsylvania-house-explosion/44807443
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

Good point, but whatever that was it was far more than a gas leak. It blew up an entire block of houses. I've read all kinds of crazy theories. It was a meth-lab is the most popular. Others are, he was storing explosives in the basement for some reason. Also, the house was built over an abandoned mine, so maybe that had something to do with it. Coal mines are known to explode sometimes. Whatever, I don't know?

But a gas leak does not pass the smell test. With an explosion that big not only would the residents have smelled it or would have been dead, but the entire neighborhood would have smelled like gas long before. A gas pipeline explosion would do it, but a gas leak would not.

If the house was built over an abandoned mine, and it was a coal mine, it is possible that Natural Gas is the culprit. Natural gas (methane) is odorless before the mercaptans are added in, and seepage could lead to an accumulation, possibly in the basement, and once the explosive limits had been reached, it would only take one spark or pilot light and BOOM. 
Coal mines have been notorious for two types of explosions, one from particulate coal dispersed in the air (the reason for dust suppression in underground mines today), the other from Methane in the coal seams getting into the mine. In the days of carrying a canary in a cage, the canary would pass out from the methane before humans would be aware of it, signalling time to evacuate the mine. Air circulation systems and monitoring prevent most mine disasters today.

In the case of an abandoned mine, though, the Methane could accumulate and work itself to the surface through fractures in the rock and pores in the substrate and get into and accumulate in low spots and enclosed areas.

Don't underestimate a gas explosion, either, they can be devastating.

It will be interesting to see what forensics come up with. I doubt these guys were looking to corner the market on homemade 'Nobel Spinners'.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 05:06:56 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Just speculating out loud here... Houses now days are so well insulated that I imagine the inhabitants were already long dead due to the likely gas leak. One heck of an explosion there, 40 years ago we had a house in town also explode due a gas leak that took out neighboring houses (they were more packed together).

Prayers for the families involved.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline PeteS in CA

If the house was built over an abandoned mine, and it was a coal mine, it is possible that Natural Gas is the culprit. Natural gas (methane) is odorless before the mercaptans are added in, and seepage could lead to an accumulation, possibly in the basement, and once the explosive limits had been reached, it would only take one spark or pilot light and BOOM. 
Coal mines have been notorious for two types of explosions, one from particulate coal dispersed in the air (the reason for dust suppression in underground mines today), the other from Methane in the coal seams getting into the mine. In the days of carrying a canary in a cage, the canary would pass out from the methane before humans would be aware of it, signalling time to evacuate the mine. Air circulation systems and monitoring prevent most mine disasters today.

In the case of an abandoned mine, though, the Methane could accumulate and work itself to the surface through fractures in the rock and pores in the substrate and get into and accumulate in low spots and enclosed areas.

Don't underestimate a gas explosion, either, they can be devastating.

It will be interesting to see what forensics come up with. I doubt these guys were looking to corner the market on homemade 'Nobel Spinners'.

:thumbsup:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline mountaineer

There have been other house explosions in Plum Borough in the past several years. Before this most recent one, neighbors who happened to be cooking noticed that the gas flame on their stove was burning yellow, not blue.  :shrug:

I believe it was just the one house that exploded, but it destroyed two adjacent houses.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

There have been other house explosions in Plum Borough in the past several years. Before this most recent one, neighbors who happened to be cooking noticed that the gas flame on their stove was burning yellow, not blue.  :shrug:

I believe it was just the one house that exploded, but it destroyed two adjacent houses.
Yellow would indicate that the flame was running 'rich' (an increase of fuel relative to the oxygen present--the optimum flame is blue), possibly either through ethane or other gasses mixed in with the natural gas from the utility, or from extra natural gas in the air, below limits that would sustain combustion or cause an explosion.

I would recommend that the folks in that subdivision put in a series of shallow wells to sample soil gas, and install a monitoring system. They don't have to be large or very deep (<20 ft.) but that should give some warning when gas levels in the soil are increasing. Flammable Gas environment rated exhaust systems (no sparks, sealed motor) could purge basements periodically to prevent such accumulations in living spaces.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 08:00:27 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

2 Plum officials among house explosion deaths, all 5 now identified
Brian C. Rittmeyer | Monday, Aug. 14, 2023 8:54 p.m.

Plum Borough Manager Michael Thomas and Community Development Director Heather Oravitz were among the five people killed in a house explosion Saturday, Mayor Harry Schlegel confirmed Monday.

Thomas was 57. Oravitz was 51.

The other victims, all identified through their families, were Casey Clontz, 38, and his son, Keegan, 12, and Kevin Sebunia, 55.

Oravitz’s husband, Paul, remained hospitalized in critical condition with severe burns over most of his body, said Schlegel, who was out of town.  ... Pittsburgh Tribune Review
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Home at center of deadly Pennsylvania explosion that left 5 dead had hot water tank issues: fire marshal
By Greg Norman, Fox News   
August 15, 2023 3:52pm

The home at the center of an explosion in Pennsylvania that left five people dead and damaged numerous other properties over the weekend had “hot water tank issues,” the Allegheny County fire marshal’s office has revealed.

In a statement Monday night, officials warned the public to stay away from the area in Plum, outside of Pittsburgh, as authorities are still trying to piece together what caused the destruction Saturday morning.

“The Fire Marshal’s Office can confirm that it is aware that the homeowners at 141 Rustic Ridge Drive were having hot water tank issues. The tank was located in the basement of the home,” the fire marshal’s office said.

Officials will now “investigate that information along with any and all other possibilities during their processes that may explain what occurred,” it added.

Plum Mayor Harry Schlegel said the town’s community development director, 51-year-old Heather Oravitz, and Plum Borough Manager Michael Thomas, 57, were killed in the blast along with three others who lived in the neighborhood: Kevin Sebunia, 55; Casey Clontz, 38; and Clontz’s 12-year-old son, Keegan.

Oravitz’s husband, Paul, suffered severe burns over most of his body and remained hospitalized Tuesday in critical condition, Schlegel said. Two others injured in the blast were treated at a hospital and released.

more
https://nypost.com/2023/08/15/home-at-center-of-deadly-pennsylvania-explosion-that-left-5-dead-had-hot-water-tank-issues-fire-marshal/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Home at center of deadly Pennsylvania explosion that left 5 dead had hot water tank issues: fire marshal
By Greg Norman, Fox News   
August 15, 2023 3:52pm

The home at the center of an explosion in Pennsylvania that left five people dead and damaged numerous other properties over the weekend had “hot water tank issues,” the Allegheny County fire marshal’s office has revealed.

In a statement Monday night, officials warned the public to stay away from the area in Plum, outside of Pittsburgh, as authorities are still trying to piece together what caused the destruction Saturday morning.

“The Fire Marshal’s Office can confirm that it is aware that the homeowners at 141 Rustic Ridge Drive were having hot water tank issues. The tank was located in the basement of the home,” the fire marshal’s office said.

Officials will now “investigate that information along with any and all other possibilities during their processes that may explain what occurred,” it added.

Plum Mayor Harry Schlegel said the town’s community development director, 51-year-old Heather Oravitz, and Plum Borough Manager Michael Thomas, 57, were killed in the blast along with three others who lived in the neighborhood: Kevin Sebunia, 55; Casey Clontz, 38; and Clontz’s 12-year-old son, Keegan.

Oravitz’s husband, Paul, suffered severe burns over most of his body and remained hospitalized Tuesday in critical condition, Schlegel said. Two others injured in the blast were treated at a hospital and released.

more
https://nypost.com/2023/08/15/home-at-center-of-deadly-pennsylvania-explosion-that-left-5-dead-had-hot-water-tank-issues-fire-marshal/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bU-I2ZiML0

Offline Smokin Joe

And that's not it. Watch the video of the house going up, and it was not a steam explosion, but something combustible.

Which tkes us back to one of two likely scenarios: either an accumulation of piped in gas that finally reached explosive limits (LEL is likely because hot water heaters have pilot lights). or....

'Natural' seepage of methane (sans mercaptans) from the abandoned mine below the development (guessing it was a coal mine), ignited by a pilot light.

Questions: was there any mention or complaint about the smell of commercial natural gas? (actually the mercaptans which make it stink).

Does the crater go below the level of the basement slab? This might indicate a pocket of gas below the slab as well, that detonated when the gas above it exploded, which might tend to indicate seepage from the mine below, again, provided it was a coal mine.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

And that's not it. Watch the video of the house going up, and it was not a steam explosion, but something combustible.

Which tkes us back to one of two likely scenarios: either an accumulation of piped in gas that finally reached explosive limits (LEL is likely because hot water heaters have pilot lights). or....

'Natural' seepage of methane (sans mercaptans) from the abandoned mine below the development (guessing it was a coal mine), ignited by a pilot light.

Questions: was there any mention or complaint about the smell of commercial natural gas? (actually the mercaptans which make it stink).

Does the crater go below the level of the basement slab? This might indicate a pocket of gas below the slab as well, that detonated when the gas above it exploded, which might tend to indicate seepage from the mine below, again, provided it was a coal mine.

Not all gas hot water heaters have a pilot. My previous house's water heater didn't have one.

Offline Hoodat

Meth lab?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

Not all gas hot water heaters have a pilot. My previous house's water heater didn't have one.
True, but even on those, IIRC, the burner is not cut off from outside air. If it kicks in, it's the same effect, only the gas would have a better chance of accumulating more becuase there would not be a constantly available ignition source. Relays, electric motors, thermostats, even light switches can provide the spark.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Meth lab?
If so, there will be detectable residues.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

True, but even on those, IIRC, the burner is not cut off from outside air. If it kicks in, it's the same effect, only the gas would have a better chance of accumulating more becuase there would not be a constantly available ignition source. Relays, electric motors, thermostats, even light switches can provide the spark.

Yep, my only point was there was potentially more time for the gas to accumulate before being ignited. That was a BIG fireball so there was a lot vapor/gas that went off.

Offline Smokin Joe

Yep, my only point was there was potentially more time for the gas to accumulate before being ignited. That was a BIG fireball so there was a lot vapor/gas that went off.
Agreed, and that may be the case. I'm still waiting for forensics, though, as this is speculation for the most part until that comes in.

Just looking at the water heater explosion (and I saw the aftermath of one of those as a fireman), that isn't what happened. That isn't saying one of those can't take a house apart and injure or kill people, and it's a good idea to check your pressure release valve at least once a year, and replace it if it is faulty. The water heater might have ignited something else, but there was far too much flame for the water heater itself to do that damage. Like the Mythbusters video, they launch themselves and punch through one or more floors and exit the building, wreaking havoc as they go, but the active ingredient there is steam, not fire.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

If it was a gas-fired water heater, then it might have leaked gas into the basement and built up an explosive charge.

Offline Smokin Joe

If it was a gas-fired water heater, then it might have leaked gas into the basement and built up an explosive charge.
Yep, but that's a gas explosion, not the water heater exploding (steam explosion).

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

Yep, but that's a gas explosion, not the water heater exploding (steam explosion).

Yes, so my link to the mythbusters episode wasn't on point.  However, the fire marshal's statement still stands.

Offline Smokin Joe

Yes, so my link to the mythbusters episode wasn't on point.  However, the fire marshal's statement still stands.
It seems gas connections to hot water heaters are common enough problems. If that is the case, given that development's past history, everyone there should be checking their appliance hookups. They may have been done by the same people, whether or not that contributed to the problem, the materials in  common use then might have.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

It seems gas connections to hot water heaters are common enough problems. If that is the case, given that development's past history, everyone there should be checking their appliance hookups. They may have been done by the same people, whether or not that contributed to the problem, the materials in  common use then might have.

Absolutely.  Gas hookups for any appliance should be checked periodically, particularly if, as with many water heaters, they sit in basements and other environments where the metal lines might get corroded more easily.