Author Topic: Gun laws or second amendment is a 'false choice,' Harris says in Chicago  (Read 1150 times)

Offline libertybele

Gun laws or second amendment is a 'false choice,' Harris says in Chicago

U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris jumped into another divisive American issue ahead of the 2024 re-election campaign on Friday, vowing support for activists trying to end gun violence and accusing gun law opponents of "hypocrisy."

Harris, who has embraced a more combative role as President Joe Biden's re-election campaign kicks into gear, took a swipe at Republicans who have blocked Democrats' proposed gun safety laws, saying such changes are no threat to Americans' constitutional gun rights.

"There are some people who are just trying to sell a false choice ... that you're either in favor of the Second Amendment, or you want to take everyone's guns away," she said.

The "very people who refuse to engage in a meaningful debate and discussion on this, who refuse to pass reasonable laws are the same ones who talk about accountability all the time," she said at a Chicago event organized by Everytown for Gun Safety, an anti-gun violence organizations. "The hypocrisy of that."

The U.S. Constitution's Second Amendment protects the rights of Americans to "keep and bear arms," citing the necessity of a "well-regulated militia." Gun rights groups have fought any legislative attempt to curb those rights, calling them an infringement on the Constitution, even as most Americans say they favor stronger gun laws.

Biden last year signed into law the first major federal gun reform in years and has pursued executive actions on the issue. But he has been unable to secure votes for a renewed ban on large-capacity and semiautomatic "assault" weapons, even as the U.S. has suffered a surge in mass shootings since the COVID-19 pandemic.

Harris was speaking at Everytown's "Gun Sense University" in Chicago, an annual event where activists and survivors of gun violence, many of them members of the 10 million-strong "Moms Demand Action" group, gather for training and political organizing.

The United States has by far the highest rate of gun deaths among rich countries, and gun deaths became the top cause of death for children and teens in 2020.

The Biden campaign are hoping that anger at gun violence could help propel young people to vote and regard engaging them as critical to delivering the president another four-year term in office. Now, they plan to deploy Harris increasingly to engage with that segment of voters, according to a person familiar with those plans..............

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/gun-laws-or-second-amendment-is-false-choice-harris-says-chicago-2023-08-11/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

:facepalm2:

Stupid speaks again.

Offline LMAO

What a speech to give in Chicago. A city with strict gun laws, but out of control homicide rates.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
The United States has by far the highest rate of gun deaths among rich countries, and gun deaths became the top cause of death for children and teens in 2020.

Care to discuss the demographics of majority of those deaths and their root minority shooters (that vote overwhelmingly for democrats that like to disarm the general populace) that are already breaking gun laws often with stolen ( and underage.. both against the law) guns?

Didn't think so Harris.

LMAO makes a good point, in Chicago with huge SS protection. Perhaps they need to move the venue out on the streets of Chicago during a good hot night with those youth they want to pretend disarm.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 04:58:04 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online mountaineer

Reminder:
Thomas Sowell Quotes
@ThomasSowell
It doesn't matter what rights you have under the Constitution of the United States, if the government can punish you for exercising those rights. And it doesn't matter what limits the Constitution puts on government officials' power, if they can exceed those limits without any adverse consequences.

In other words, the Constitution cannot protect you, if you don't protect the Constitution with your votes against anyone who violates it. Those government officials who want more power are not going to stop unless they get stopped.

As long as millions of Americans vote on the basis of who gives them free stuff, look for their freedom — and all our freedom — to be eroded away, bit by bit. Our children and grandchildren may yet come to see the Constitution as just some quaint words from the past that people once took seriously.
11:09 AM · Aug 15, 2023
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
It doesn't matter what limits the Constitution puts on government officials' power, if they can exceed those limits without any adverse consequences.

In other words, the Constitution cannot protect you, if you don't protect the Constitution with your votes against anyone who violates it.

Thomas Sowell
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Some things are believed because they are demonstrably true. But many other things are believed simply because they have been asserted repeatedly—and repetition has been accepted as a substitute for evidence.

Thomas Sowell

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

Re: Gun laws or second amendment is a 'false choice,' Harris says in Chicago
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2023, 01:12:52 pm »
Biden's GenZ twitter handler posted this. On a Sunday, no less:

President Biden
@POTUS
It's time to require universal background checks, establish a national red flag law, require safe storage of firearms, and end immunity from liability for gun manufacturers.
Congress, it's time to stand up to the gun lobby.
12:05 PM · Sep 3, 2023

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2023, 03:18:17 pm »
:facepalm2:

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2023, 03:57:34 pm »

President Biden
@POTUS
It's time to require universal background checks, establish a national red flag law, require safe storage of firearms, and end immunity from liability for gun manufacturers.
No, it's time for Congress to stand up for the Constitution and the American people instead of their bank accounts.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2023, 03:38:34 pm »
Oilfield Rando
@Oilfield_Rando

“Why do you need an AR-15 and 30-round magazines?!”

“Well, among other reasons, my government might decide to flood my country with third world savages who decide to have a Stone Age tribal battle over some beef they brought from their motherland”

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2023, 03:40:04 pm »
Oilfield Rando
@Oilfield_Rando

“Well, among other reasons, my government might decide to flood my country with third world savages who decide to have a Stone Age tribal battle over some beef they brought from their motherland”

Who cares why one might "need" an AR-15 with a 30-round clip?  The Second Amendment is not based on need, either expressly or by necessary implication.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2023, 03:40:58 pm »
Who cares why one might "need" an AR-15 with a 30-round clip?  The Second Amendment is not based on need, either expressly or by necessary implication.

:yowsa:  pointing-up

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2023, 12:35:51 am »

President Biden
@POTUS

Let's Go Brandon... from my cold dead hand.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2023, 12:53:02 am »
Oilfield Rando

Guess they have never seen police in a firefight needing to reload a few times because the bad guy would not go down, only a fool person that is highly unknowledgeable on guns in real life would say something like that. Often people that defend revolvers say something similar. In a gun fight, you are not given the luxury of aiming and I have seen videos of two people emptying guns at each other at near point blank and neither hit the other.  When the enemy has large capacity magazines, you need to equal the playing field. The Second is for society to keep a government in check if need be, not for hunting....

9999hair out0000 888mouth