Author Topic: Trump Reveals His Stance On a Potential Plea Deal  (Read 1114 times)

Offline Kamaji

Trump Reveals His Stance On a Potential Plea Deal
« on: August 13, 2023, 05:12:48 pm »
Trump Reveals His Stance On a Potential Plea Deal

Sarah Arnold
August 13, 2023

Former President Trump made it very clear he has no intention of accepting a plea deal after being indicted three times this year by President Joe Biden’s corrupt Department of Justice.

“Is there any chance that you take a plea deal?” a reporter asked Trump at the Iowa State Fair.

I’m response, Trump remained innocent and said he did nothing wrong so that a plea deal would be out of the question.

“I don't take plea deals. We did nothing wrong. We don't ever take a plea deal. We don't take plea deals. It's a wise guy question. You're just a wise guy,” Trump said. “We don't take plea deals because I did nothing wrong. It's called election interference."

https://twitter.com/CollinRugg/status/1690449470385717249

Source:  https://townhall.com/tipsheet/saraharnold/2023/08/13/trump-reveals-his-stance-on-a-potential-plea-deal-n2626946

Offline Kamaji

Re: Trump Reveals His Stance On a Potential Plea Deal
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 05:12:57 pm »
We shall see ....

Online libertybele

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 05:16:09 pm »
Election interference yes.  I believe that the question about a plea deal isn't out of line.  Trump is facing jail time and has a judge and jury that he isn't exactly Mr. Popular with.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 12:58:32 am »
We shall see ....

I suppose it depends what the evidence will be that prosecutors have on him. If it turns out to be overwhelming and damaging enough, he'll accept  a plea deal
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 01:03:03 am »
I suppose it depends what the evidence will be that prosecutors have on him. If it turns out to be overwhelming and damaging enough, he'll accept  a plea deal

I think the charges are bogus and therefore not a whole lot of evidence.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 02:17:18 am »
He better be putting Brad Raffensperger and Gabe Sterling on the stand.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2023, 04:01:11 am »
I think the problem with the charges is legal more than factual.  The prosecutions' theories of the cases are not valid legally, so the evidence may not even matter all that much.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 04:09:25 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2023, 11:15:13 am »

Since it turns on what he believed at the time as far as state of mind, they will almost certainly not be called as witnesses.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2023, 12:41:35 pm »

Why?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2023, 09:37:32 pm »
Since it turns on what he believed at the time as far as state of mind, they will almost certainly not be called as witnesses.

Trump's recorded conversation with Raffensperger asking for more votes is a key piece of the prosecution's case.  It can't be admitted without allowing the defense to cross examine.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2023, 09:39:06 pm »

Why?

Because they repeatedly violated State election laws.  I want to hear them admit it under oath.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2023, 09:41:27 pm »
 ////00000////

The Internet Police need to indict Trump for Felony Misuse of ALL CAPS!
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2023, 01:56:26 pm »
Trump's recorded conversation with Raffensperger asking for more votes is a key piece of the prosecution's case.  It can't be admitted without allowing the defense to cross examine.

Cross-examination is not an invitation to a fishing expedition.  On cross, the examining attorney is generally limited to the subjects that were discussed on direct, as well as issues going to the credibility of the witness.  Georgia state rules on examination are broader than the federal rule, inasmuch as they provide that "[a ] witness may be cross-examined on any matter relevant to any issue in the proceeding."  Ga. Code Ann. §24-6-611.  However, that process is still subject to overall control by the judge, who is specifically directed to control examination to (1) "Make the interrogation and presentation effective for the ascertainment of the truth", (2) "Avoid needless consumption of time;" and (3) "Protect witnesses from harassment or undue embarrassment."  Id.

There will be precious little room to open a free-ranging inquiry into what Raffensperger did, particularly on cross-examination.

I would fully expect the prosecution to make a motion in limine to ring-fence that sort of inquiry.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2023, 02:22:19 am »
I would fully expect the prosecution to make a motion in limine to ring-fence that sort of inquiry.

I would expect it, too.  But the prosecution's case rests on the recorded phone call with Raffensperger.  The defense will have leeway to question Raffensperger regarding Trump's intent, primarily whether there was reason for Trump to believe that the election was rife with illegalities.  And in that regard, Raffensperger was the chief officer in charge when those illegalities took place.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2023, 12:37:37 pm »
I would expect it, too.  But the prosecution's case rests on the recorded phone call with Raffensperger.  The defense will have leeway to question Raffensperger regarding Trump's intent, primarily whether there was reason for Trump to believe that the election was rife with illegalities.  And in that regard, Raffensperger was the chief officer in charge when those illegalities took place.

I doubt it.  The question is what Trump believed, and when he believed it, not the veracity of his belief.  There will be no cross-examining Raffensperger on whatever violations of law he might have engaged in, because none of that is relevant to Trump's subjective belief.