Author Topic: Lil Tay’s death hoax deemed a hack as Meta restores star’s accounts  (Read 346 times)

Offline Kamaji

Lil Tay’s death hoax deemed a hack as Meta restores star’s accounts

By Jack Hobbs
August 13, 2023

Lil Tay’s death hoax hack has been confirmed by Meta.

The tech giant confirmed on Saturday that the social media star was indeed the victim of a hacking attempt after a post on the influencer’s Instagram claimed she was dead.

Meta, the parent company of Instagram, has reportedly spoken to the 14-year-old, deeming that she was truthful about being locked out of her accounts, according to TMZ, and has since restored Tay’s access.

The Post reached out to Meta for confirmation.

On Wednesday, news that the teen — aka Tay Tian or Claire Hope — had passed away shocked the online community after a text image announcing the influencer’s death was posted on her Instagram.

“I want to make it clear that my brother and I are safe and alive, but I’m completely heartbroken, and struggling to even find the right words to say. It’s been a very traumatizing 24 hours. All day yesterday, I was bombarded with endless heartbreaking and tearful phone calls from loved ones all while trying to sort out this mess,” reads a statement from Tay,

“My Instagram account was compromised by a 3rd party and used to spread jarring misinformation and rumors regarding me, to the point that even my name was wrong. My legal name is Tay Tian, not Claire Hope,’” the statement concludes.

The statement drew the ire of several fans who slammed the teen claiming the entire thing was a “publicity stunt.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/13/lil-tays-death-hoax-deemed-a-hack-as-meta-restores-stars-accounts/