Author Topic: Manhattan rents soar to another record high in July at nearly $6K  (Read 650 times)

Online Kamaji

Manhattan rents soar to another record high in July at nearly $6K — but may be ‘approaching peak’

By Shannon Thaler
August 10, 2023

Manhattan rents soared to another record high in July but leasing activity dipped — leaving a glimmer of hope the red-hot market is approaching its peak.

Renters forked over an average of $5,588 last month to live in the borough — a 9.3% increase from last July — and prices jumped more than 15% in Brooklyn and parts of Queens, according to the latest rental market report from appraisers Miller Samuel and brokerage giant Douglas Elliman.

Manhattan’s median rent, at $4,400 per month, also set a new record for the fourth time in five consecutive months, the report showed.

The July figure marked a 2.2% month-over-month increase from June’s median rent of $4,300, the only month in the past five that saw a decrease from the 30 days prior.

The skyrocketing prices are 30% higher than what landlords charged in 2019 — despite the pandemic-induced exodus dropping Manhattan’s population by 400,000 between June 2020 and June 2022, according to U.S. Census data.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/10/manhattan-rents-soar-to-another-record-high-in-july-but-may-be-approaching-peak/

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Manhattan rents soar to another record high in July at nearly $6K
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 09:05:43 pm »
@Kamaji

I was gifted a ticket to the Van Gogh exhibit at MOMA. I can take the train into the city but I wanted to make an overnight and maybe see a matinee too.

Hotels are close to $350-400 a night before taxes. I can't believe that
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 09:33:00 pm »
Bidenomics Utopia
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 09:51:53 pm »
Bidenomics Utopia

This way antedates Bidenomics.  This is liberal-nomics, specifically, rent control and severe restrictions on land use.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2023, 09:55:52 pm »
Reason #39677500 why to move out of New York City.

https://twitter.com/micieb/status/1692645155587637296
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2023, 12:12:55 pm »