Author Topic: Ohio's Amendment 1 Fails, Clearing Way for Easier Passage of Radical Pro-Abortion Initiative  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Kamaji

Ohio's Amendment 1 Fails, Clearing Way for Easier Passage of Radical Pro-Abortion Initiative

Rebecca Downs
August 08, 2023

Update:

Secretary of State Frank LaRose, who put in a valiant effort to get Amendment 1 passed, released a statement on Twitter. Although the result was a disappointing one, LaRose's statement had hopeful parts to it, in that it was "only one battle in a long war" and that "I'm just getting started in the fight to protect Ohio's values."

He did, however, warn, as he did when campaigning in favor of the amendment, that there was involvement from those out-of-state. "Unfortunately, we were dramatically outspend by dark money billionaires from California to New York, and the giant 'for sale' sign still hangs on Ohio's constitution," and that "ohioans will see the devastating impact of this vote soon enough."

Original:

Ohioans voted against Amendment 1 in a Tuesday special election, which means that constitutional amendments still only need to pass with 50 percent plus 1. As a result, special interest groups from out-of-state will have a considerably easier time passing a pro-abortion ballot initiative this November. Had the amendment passed, it would have increased the voter approval threshold for constitutional amendments to 60 percent in order to pass.

The consequences are very real and could be fast approaching if the initiative, known as the Ohio Right to Make Reproductive Decisions Including Abortion Initiative, passes in just a few months time. As Townhall has covered, the initiative's passage could have massive implications for parental rights.

Source:  https://townhall.com/tipsheet/rebeccadowns/2023/08/08/ohios-amendment-1-special-election-results-n2626722

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Pro-Abortion Biden White House Celebrates Failure of Issue 1 in Ohio Special Election

President Joe Biden’s pro-abortion White House is celebrating the failure of a ballot measure called Issue 1 in the Ohio special election.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/08/09/pro-abortion-biden-white-house-celebrates-failure-of-issue-1-in-ohio-special-election/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Their heart was in the right place, but this was a bad tactical move.
The Republic is lost.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Constitutions are best not lightly changed. The 60% threshold was reasonable, but the issue of needing 60% to change the Constitution got overrun by the baby killers pushing to do their murderous thing.

That is a two way street.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

The abortion ghouls are gleeful. The mob rules.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
August 11, 2023 12:05pm EDT
Ohio GOP sounds alarm as progressives submit state constitutional amendment stripping police protections
Republican accuses Democrats of 'trying to turn Ohio into California'
By Andrew Mark Miller | Fox News

Progressives in Ohio wasted no time moving to change the state’s constitution and take away qualified immunity from police after a failed push by Republicans to make it harder to alter the state's guiding document.

Shortly after Ohio voters rejected a ballot measure that would have raised the threshold to amend the state constitution from 50% plus one vote to 60% of the vote, the Ohio Coalition to End Qualified Immunity submitted a petition to end qualified immunity for state workers, including the police, the Toledo Blade reported.

Ending qualified immunity, a vocal goal of progressives and police abolitionists across the country, would end protections that state employees currently have from most civil lawsuits.

"Qualified immunity is a legal loophole that protects people like politicians and rogue officers from being sued for violating a person’s rights," the group's website states.

"I told you they're trying to turn Ohio into California," Ohio’s Republican Secretary of State Frank LaRose, arguably the most prominent supporter of State Issue 1, which was voted down earlier this week, posted on X. "Now they're coming after our police."

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ohio-gop-sounds-alarm-as-progressives-submit-constitutional-amendment-stripping-police-protections
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online LMAO

Leftists are on a quest to spread their urban misery to wherever they can

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline PeteS in CA

If Ohio's police departments haven't already seen an exodus of police officers into "retirement" and other careers, if this amendment passes it could all but empty some cities' police departments. Truly bad cops are not shielded by qualified immunity, but when good cops doing a tough job and making tough decisions find this target on their backs, many will bail.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
POLITICS Published August 11, 2023 12:05pm EDT
Ohio GOP sounds alarm as progressives submit state constitutional amendment stripping police protections

Republican accuses Democrats of 'trying to turn Ohio into California'
By Andrew Mark Miller | Fox News

Ohio Secretary of State Frank LaRose reacts to Ohio voters striking down a proposal that would have made it tougher to protect abortion rights in the state.

Progressives in Ohio wasted no time moving to change the state’s constitution and take away qualified immunity from police after a failed push by Republicans to make it harder to alter the state's guiding document.

Shortly after Ohio voters rejected a ballot measure that would have raised the threshold to amend the state constitution from 50% plus one vote to 60% of the vote, the Ohio Coalition to End Qualified Immunity submitted a petition to end qualified immunity for state workers, including the police, the Toledo Blade reported.

Ending qualified immunity, a vocal goal of progressives and police abolitionists across the country, would end protections that state employees currently have from most civil lawsuits.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ohio-gop-sounds-alarm-as-progressives-submit-constitutional-amendment-stripping-police-protections
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 05:34:14 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
It's probably written with a Leftist tilt, but I'm not particularly supportive of qualified immunity.
The Republic is lost.

Online libertybele

It's probably written with a Leftist tilt, but I'm not particularly supportive of qualified immunity.

What is meant by 'qualified' immunity??? 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
What is meant by 'qualified' immunity???

Can't be sued for violating rights.
The Republic is lost.

Offline PeteS in CA

Qualified immunity is a legal principle that grants government officials performing discretionary (optional) functions immunity from lawsuits for damages unless the plaintiff shows that the official violated clearly established statutory or constitutional rights of which a reasonable person would have known.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Mod2

Offline mountaineer

Here's why the communists in Ohio want it so easy to amend the state constitution:

Ohio is proposing a constitutional amendment that would not only make abortion a constitutional “right” but open the door for minors to undergo “transgender” procedures without parental consent.
Daily Signal
Ohio Ballot Initiative Is a Trojan Horse—and a ‘Right’ to Abortion Is Just the Beginning
Sarah Parshall Perry and Thomas Jipping
August 23, 2023

Abortion advocates have their sights set on Ohio this fall. On Nov. 7, Ohioans will vote on the “Right to Make Reproductive Decisions Including Abortion” Initiative to amend the state’s constitution.

The key word in the title of this proposal is “including,” because it is about much more than abortion. Its backers hope that the focus on abortion will distract voters from the other left-wing policy aims hidden in this Trojan horse. ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org