Author Topic: The current state of American sanctuary cities  (Read 177 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The current state of American sanctuary cities
« on: August 09, 2023, 10:40:00 am »

The current state of American sanctuary cities
Story by Theara Coleman •

Sanctuary cities are buckling under the pressure of the influx of asylum-seekers

Immigration continues to be one of the most polarizing issues in the U.S. The ongoing struggle between border states like Texas and Florida and sanctuary cities across the country embodies that tension. Since last year, thousands of people who showed up at the border seeking refuge have been mass relocated to sanctuary cities to protest the Biden administration's immigration policies. Leaders in these cities have begged the federal government to step in as the influx of immigrants has outpaced the resources they have to offer.

Recently the spotlight has been on New York City, where the situation has become so dire Mayor Eric Adams declared there was "no more room." The city's "descent from a place that was managing to keep up, just barely, with a ceaseless flow of asylum seekers to a place that had declared defeat was sudden," The New York Times wrote. "From this moment on, it's downhill," Adams said at a City Hall news conference last week. As the crisis in NYC plays out, people are looking at it as an example of how sanctuary cities handle the influx of asylum seekers.

Currently, sanctuary cities or states are communities with policies that limit local law enforcement's cooperation with federal authorities' efforts to deport immigrants. For the past few decades, "U.S. sanctuary city policies have been chiefly about welcoming immigrants whom the federal government has refused to grant humanitarian protection," The Washington Post explained.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-current-state-of-american-sanctuary-cities/ar-AA1eWwzZ?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=2a39b14d05f64afd84fdf63dac804efa&ei=52
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson